ZoomDagaZoom - Izebo

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Curious to discover what the women and men of exquisite musical taste on this forum think of my musical mind-farts. Composition is a matter of taste but if you take the time to criticise the mix, that would be very much appreciated!!

https://soundcloud.com/zoomdagazoom/izebo

Varied and interesting. Those clattering drums initially caught me off guard but I got used to them. My only complaint was the tape stop effect which seemed arbitrary and unnecessary.

The mix was pretty good especially considering how busy this track is. Good job. :tu:

Hey! I liked your tune.

I thought I heard some Brian Eno influence and then Aphex Twin in a spot. I enjoyed the Caribbean type of rhythm as long as it it lasted.

I would also ditch the tape effect. Maybe at the end that would work better. I remember Mott The Hoople did a tape stop effect at the end of Momma’s Little Jewel before All The Young Dudes(Bowie)- also the album title. The end was pretty abrupt anyway. Maybe a short fade out instead.

:tu:

Frantz wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:46 am Varied and interesting. Those clattering drums initially caught me off guard but I got used to them. My only complaint was the tape stop effect which seemed arbitrary and unnecessary.

The mix was pretty good especially considering how busy this track is. Good job. :tu:
Thanks a lot for taking the time to listen and comment! :D. My girlfriend was also not fond of the tape-stop effect hehe. When composing, taking weird turns always seems like a good idea to me whereas listeners rarely truly enjoy it.

fastlanephil wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:00 am Hey! I liked your tune.

I thought I heard some Brian Eno influence and then Aphex Twin in a spot. I enjoyed the Caribbean type of rhythm as long as it it lasted.

I would also ditch the tape effect. Maybe at the end that would work better. I remember Mott The Hoople did a tape stop effect at the end of Momma’s Little Jewel before All The Young Dudes(Bowie)- also the album title. The end was pretty abrupt anyway. Maybe a short fade out instead.

:tu:
Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment! Those are two names that I greatly admire and are definitely down there in the recesses of my subconsciousness, especially Drukqs is important to me. I think I will have to reconsider the tape-effect since multiple people are commenting on this....

Interesting track. I liked it. Quirky. A little strange, but well done. The tape stop FX didn't bother me. In fact, I thought they were cool. They seemed to flow with the music. In fact, I would have made them more drastic and quicker. But I'm strange that way.

Anyway enjoyable listen.

Listened to it. Pretty cool and quirky. Reminds me of The Residents in the beginning!
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:01 am Interesting track. I liked it. Quirky. A little strange, but well done. The tape stop FX didn't bother me. In fact, I thought they were cool. They seemed to flow with the music. In fact, I would have made them more drastic and quicker. But I'm strange that way.

Anyway enjoyable listen.
Thanks for taking the time to listen. I think I also have strange conceptions about the flow of music sometimes. Especially taking abrupt turns (like pseudo-random tape stop effects) are something I enjoy but listeners often flag as something negative. The hard part is determining when it really does not fit and when it is just an esoteric way of composing and should be seen as something characteristic of myself :ud:

Music Bird wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:36 am Listened to it. Pretty cool and quirky. Reminds me of The Residents in the beginning!
Hey thanks a lot for your time and comments :D Did not know them but it feels good to be in their genre :tu:

Liked it! Some nice developments in there, although lacking a melody, it was strong enough to hold interest. The mix sounds a little boxy to me, but it fits the track. Could probably do with better separation and depth, but that might be a matter of taste. Well done!

ariston wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:16 am Liked it! Some nice developments in there, although lacking a melody, it was strong enough to hold interest. The mix sounds a little boxy to me, but it fits the track. Could probably do with better separation and depth, but that might be a matter of taste. Well done!
Hey thanks for your review :hyper: I agree with you. I think boxy is the word that I was also looking for to conceptually describe what is lacking. This is one of the things I struggle with the most; to give each instrument its own space, especially when it gets thick around the mids (where it often gets thick fast) I find it hard to keep clarity in the track. Also think that the boxiness comes from the fact that the bass is maybe EQ-d a bit too hard (to give space in the mids), thereby losing clarity. Might have to get into multiband-compression a bit more or choose my instruments better....

Return to “Music Cafe”