CHOW Tape Model by Jatin Chowdhury

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you for taking the suggestions into consideration ;)

One more request : I wish the oscilloscope could be swapped with a visualization like the one on ChowPhaser, displaying the wow & flutter speed (and other modulation)

sinkmusic wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:30 pm One more request : I wish the oscilloscope could be swapped with a visualization like the one on ChowPhaser, displaying the wow & flutter speed (and other modulation)

A good suggestion. I've got to say I love the way ChowPhaser works and sounds, I wish there was a dry/wet mix though. I would love to see Jatin's take on chorus. :hug:

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Hello,
After playing for a while with it, I would have a couple more suggestions :
1- being able to bypass each section (tone/loss/flutter), so it would be quicker & easier to check with/without each section (without having to manually reset each "depth" parameter to zero and lose the previous settings).
2- I/O vumeters, so we could quickly check if the gain staging is correct, and if our ears aren't fooling us (adding saturation increase perceived loudness).

Last edited by rbn777 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sinkmusic wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:59 pm Hello,
After playing for a while with it, I would have a couple more suggestions :
1- being able to bypass each section (tone/loss/flutter), so it would be quicker & easier to check with/without each section (without having to manually reset each "depth" parameter to zero and lose the previous settings).
2- I/O vumeters, so we could quickly check if the gain staging is correct, and if our ears aren't fooling us (adding saturation increase perceived loudness).
Thanks, these are both good ideas. I'll add them to my list of features for the next release.

For the next release, my primary wish was add another "Mode", with the goal of achieving sound quality close to the higher-order Newton-Raphson solvers with less computation cost. Unfortunately, this process has proven more difficult than I had hoped, so I expect it might take a little longer to get it working. (For any DSP folks out there, I'm attempting to train a "State Transition Network" for this purpose, see here.)

Thanks for your patience,
Jatin

planetearth wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:01 pm
The Noodlist wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:45 pm
planetearth wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:31 am Very helpful Jatin, thanks!

I’m using Cakewalk by BandLab on Win7 (x64), with the latest VST3 version of your plug-in. But no matter what I do, I don’t see an oscilloscope. But that sounds like a nice feature. 😉

Thanks for the quick reply, too!

Steve
Might it be related to runtime libraries?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... #section-2
I have those; they were installed with something else some time ago. Thanks, though. :tu:

Steve
Jatin, in order to get the oscilloscope to display properly, is there a particular version of OpenGL I should have perhaps? I know this is a little outside the scope of your plug-in, but I have seen OpenGL rear its ugly head in plug-ins lately, so I thought I'd ask.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Anybody tried running this at 96kHz? I have some trouble getting it to work. It seems to cause some massive +400dBFS spikes (seen during rendering to a floating point file). It's possible this is related to the oversampling option but not sure.. haven't tried it with oversampling off yet at 96kHz.

Will try to investigate.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

rbn777 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:50 pm I think the above two suggestions are really good! However, standard "vu meters" as such would bloat the interface I reckon, CHOW Tape doesn't exactly go to the lengths of entertaining us with a soothing visage of tape reels spinning either, like some others do, so... :lol:

I think even simple I/O readouts would do:
It looks great!
Yes, simple I/O readouts like that would do indeed.

Rather than an "above the section" on/off icon, I think i'd prefer a shaded tab at the bottom of the section (a bit like the crappy mockup i did quickly).

Just wanted to say, been thinking about picking up hardware clone of the Compact Phasing A recently, but just discovered Jatin's plugin version and it's awesome! Thank you, just what my Super 6 needed when doing Kosmiche strings. :)

(The tape plugin in awesome too!)

bmanic wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:21 pm Anybody tried running this at 96kHz? I have some trouble getting it to work. It seems to cause some massive +400dBFS spikes (seen during rendering to a floating point file). It's possible this is related to the oversampling option but not sure.. haven't tried it with oversampling off yet at 96kHz.

Will try to investigate.
Yeah, same here. It only runs ok at 44100. When I run at a higher sampling rate, it explodes.

It runs okay here at 48000.

crickey13 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:58 pm It runs okay here at 48000.
Same here.

I had no issues at 44.1kHz or 48kHz, but at 96kHz it's definitely broken here.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Effects”