CHOW Tape Model by Jatin Chowdhury

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bmanic wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:40 pm I had no issues at 44.1kHz or 48kHz, but at 96kHz it's definitely broken here.
Fair enough, hopefully Jatin will address this and fix it in the next release.

Borked at 96kHz here too, 32bit VST on Windows. Some modes seem to work OK, but if you switch to presets TC-260 and LoFi it goes nuts. It's annoying as I have only worked at 96kHz for a few years now.

Phaser works fine at 96kHz.

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:11 pm Just wanted to say, been thinking about picking up hardware clone of the Compact Phasing A recently, but just discovered Jatin's plugin version and it's awesome! Thank you, just what my Super 6 needed when doing Kosmiche strings. :)
Thank you! Glad you like it :).
bmanic wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:21 pm Anybody tried running this at 96kHz? I have some trouble getting it to work. It seems to cause some massive +400dBFS spikes (seen during rendering to a floating point file). It's possible this is related to the oversampling option but not sure.. haven't tried it with oversampling off yet at 96kHz.
Ah, thanks for re-reporting this, it must have slipped past me when making a list of bugs to fix. I'll be sure to get it fixed for the next release! (Progress and updates can be tracked here: https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/Ana ... issues/110).

Speaking of which, I'm hoping to have the next release ready by the end of the month. Part of the reason it's taking so long is that I've been working to implement a new feature that has taken quite a bit of time and effort. I've also been working up a new plugin that will hopefully be ready for release soon!

Thanks all for your patience :).

Ah, it looks like the issue has to do with the loss filters, which I've been overhauling anyway as part of my new changes. Since I'm not sure when the next release will be ready, I've uploaded some new builds that should work correctly at all sample rates: https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/Ana ... Plugin/Bin.

At the moment, I only have Windows builds, but if someone out there needs Mac builds, I can upload those as well.

Thanks,
Jatin

chowdsp wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:25 am Ah, it looks like the issue has to do with the loss filters

chowdsp wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:25 am At the moment, I only have Windows builds, but if someone out there needs Mac builds, I can upload those as well.
yes, please...

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:12 pm
chowdsp wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:25 am At the moment, I only have Windows builds, but if someone out there needs Mac builds, I can upload those as well.
yes, please...
Done! https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/Ana ... Builds.zip

Hey All,

Just finished with a new release of ChowTape. As always, you can download builds on GitHub.

The biggest update is that I've added a new hysteresis mode, called a State Transition Network (STN). The STN is a small neural net that can be used to solve state-space equations, and I ended up having to train ~230 individual neural nets to sufficiently cover the range of bias and saturation parameters. I've written a little blog about it if you're curious about more of the technical details, but from a user perspective, the STN sounds similar to the NR8 mode except that it distorts less gracefully at more extreme settings and it uses ~3x less CPU.

Other updates include a re-vamped Loss Filters sections, high and low cut filters at the plugin input, bypass switches for each plugin section, and more visualizations. I've also re-worked the preset menu, to allow users to save their own presets, and manage a preset folder on their computer. I've also written a new user manual, with some awesome assistance from @sinkmusic.

I also wanted to mention that I don't plan on adding any new major features to ChowTape for the next little while. I'm very happy with where the plugin is currently at, and I fear that adding a lot more features will only make it more "cluttered" without actually making it better at it's primary function. I'm more than happy to continue fixing any bugs in the current feature set, and I'm sure that if I have ideas for new features later on, I'll be sure to implement them when that day comes. I've been working on this plugin somewhat regularly for the better part of the past two years, and I'd like to take more time to work on new projects, and make more music!

With that in mind, I've been cooking up a new plugin: ChowMatrix. ChowMatrix is a delay plugin that let's you create your own infinite matrix of delay lines, with tunable parameters for each delay. Credit again to @rbn777 for helping me with the GUI. As usual, this plugin is free and open-source, and can be downloaded on GitHub.

Thanks all for your continued inspiration and encouragement! As always, I look forward to hearing any music made with these plugins. Please feel free to reach out on this thread, on GitHub, or via email!

Thanks,
Jatin

Awesome update !
Thank you

Hooray

Thank you, Jatin. Is it possible to create chorus-type effect with the delay plugin? I don't see any modulation settings in these screenshots... I hope you will consider adding it at some point, as I love your take on phaser. :)

crickey13 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:43 am Thank you, Jatin. Is it possible to create chorus-type effect with the delay plugin? I don't see any modulation settings in these screenshots... I hope you will consider adding it at some point, as I love your take on phaser. :)
You can use the Insanity fader for that.

chowdsp wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:28 am . . . I also wanted to mention that I don't plan on adding any new major features to ChowTape for the next little while. I'm very happy with where the plugin is currently at, and I fear that adding a lot more features will only make it more "cluttered" without actually making it better at it's primary function. I'm more than happy to continue fixing any bugs in the current feature set, and I'm sure that if I have ideas for new features later on, I'll be sure to implement them when that day comes. I've been working on this plugin somewhat regularly for the better part of the past two years, and I'd like to take more time to work on new projects, and make more music! . . .
Tbh many of us thank you for this. It's cool to have more and better features, but changing the sound of a plugin so frequently can scare some people away, as every time the plugin changes its sound, the engineers must get used to it all over again.

sinkmusic wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:14 pm You can use the Insanity fader for that.
So that's like a randomized modulation or something like it? Sounds cool, have to check it out. :tu:

ChowMatrix reminds me of Saike's JSFX Reflectosaurus
https://github.com/JoepVanlier/JSFX

I think I found a bug. When resizing some nodes get out of screen. Tested on Reaper win64 vst3 version. Basically set up a patch with nodes at the extremes at default screen size and then start resizing. The nodes disappear out of screen boundaries.

This delay is very funny.

Return to “Effects”