Piano ballad with tons of Padshop :)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
SparkySpark
KVRAF
1754 posts since 30 Aug, 2004 from Lancaster, UK

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi,

Just uploaded a nice piano ballad to Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/user-221496479/true-loves-kiss

As you might conclude from the title :wink: it's a love song. I was actually going to finish another project today, but as Christmas is upon us, this felt more appropriate. The entire lyrics are there too, for the non-native English speaker. Thanks Steinberg for PadShop Pro!

(Are the vocals too loud in the mix? - Can't decide...)

Happy Christmas and Happy New KVR year! :phones: :party:
Person 1: Say a number between 1 and 10.
Computer scientist: There is no number between 1 and 10.
Go MuLab!

metamorphosis
KVRAF
3901 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Hamilton, New Zealand

Re: Piano ballad with tons of Padshop :)

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:04 pm

I would roll off a ton of upper frequencies on the lead vox and bring up the upper mids. Re-emphasize the piano in the mids (1k) instead of the upper mids (2-3k). Also roll off some upper frequencies on the piano.
Lastly, remove the high frequencies entirely from the reverb and it'll be easier to hear the lyrics.
Like the synths in the last section.
Piano bassline could have it's low freqs brought up a bit too.

SparkySpark
KVRAF

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:54 am

metamorphosis wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:04 pm
I would roll off a ton of upper frequencies on the lead vox and bring up the upper mids. Re-emphasize the piano in the mids (1k) instead of the upper mids (2-3k). Also roll off some upper frequencies on the piano.
Lastly, remove the high frequencies entirely from the reverb and it'll be easier to hear the lyrics.
Like the synths in the last section.
Piano bassline could have it's low freqs brought up a bit too.
Cool, thanks a lot! :tu:
Go MuLab!

Jesse Gorter
KVRian
790 posts since 30 Nov, 2004

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:18 am

It's nice.
I do feel the piano would be more interesting if it would not be transposed to the new chord in the same way. Try some inversions for the second chord, third chord, etc. That would liven it up a bit (sorry for the broken english here)

SparkySpark
KVRAF

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:55 am

Jesse Gorter wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:18 am
It's nice.
I do feel the piano would be more interesting if it would not be transposed to the new chord in the same way. Try some inversions for the second chord, third chord, etc. That would liven it up a bit (sorry for the broken english here)
Thanks! :)

I agree with you. I actually played parts of it (as opposed to insert all using the piano roll), then copied the stuff I liked and shuffled it around a bit, but I still think it lacks life somewhat. I'll see if I can transpose the arpeggios a bit more interestingly, as you suggest. :tu:

I'm thinking it could be a good option to not invert every chord of the same root note, but just do it every now and again, to keep things interesting.

...and then do some EQing, as suggested in the first reply. :wink:
Go MuLab!

ChameleonMusic
KVRist
75 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:28 am

Some very nice melodic ideas in there, but it needs more variety - those piano arpeggios on 1 / VI / IV / V get a bit much after a while...change the way they are being played + go somewhere else earlier in the piece?

It's got potential, but needs a bit more subtlety for me.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music

SparkySpark
KVRAF

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:09 am

ChameleonMusic wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:28 am
Some very nice melodic ideas in there, but it needs more variety - those piano arpeggios on 1 / VI / IV / V get a bit much after a while...change the way they are being played + go somewhere else earlier in the piece?

It's got potential, but needs a bit more subtlety for me.
Thanks! Means a lot. :) I consider myself more of a songwriter than a performer or master engineer (I think that goes without saying...) and really like this song myself. I surely hope someone would pick this up and do a good piano performance for it. Having just moved to the UK, I now find myself in one of pop music's best places in the world, so hope to find someone to collaborate with next year.

Merry (as they say in Lancashire) Christmas!
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark
KVRAF

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:11 am

Besides, other than changing the way the chords are played, would it make sense substituting one of the chords at some point(s) - say VI to ...? I agree the chord progression is a bit too repetitive.
Go MuLab!

Return to “Music Cafe”