Best controller for Diva/Zebra

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hello all

does anyone know of a dedicated Diva or Zebra controller? Ive seen a few DIY projects online that never seemed to go into production. Anything on the horizon maybe?

Panorama P1 or sl mk3 work best with u-he software?

Any insight would be a great help. Many thanks in advance.
all the best

gosh... that project got shelfed after one of our developers involved in this left the company.

arniewest wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:51 am hello all

does anyone know of a dedicated Diva or Zebra controller? Ive seen a few DIY projects online that never seemed to go into production. Anything on the horizon maybe?

Panorama P1 or sl mk3 work best with u-he software?

Any insight would be a great help. Many thanks in advance.
all the best
My advice is always: if you use a lot of VA style synths, and if you can afford it, buy a dedicated hardware synth that can also act as a controller. It will never map 100% to your software synths, but it will get the experience closer than any generic 8 knob/8 fader controller.

For instance, I use a System-8 as a synth controller and it's basically got a 3 oscs, 1 filter + dedicated HP knob, 1 LFO, 2 ADSR, FX layout that maps very well to many U-he synths. It's not perfect. For instance, if a VA uses buttons to turn on/off osc waveforms (versus a single knob), that will require some creative mapping. But most things map well enough to make the synths enjoyable to program and control. You just want a lot of knobs, buttons, faders that transmit MIDI CC's. I keep eye-balling that Novation Summit which seems like it could be a dream controller, but there are much more affordable options out there (even consider second-hand).

Aren’t both synths NKS compatible? Have you considered NI hardware?

Thanks so much for the responses. Yeah I just bought a SL Mk3. Thing is a beast and I'm just starting to crack this open. Is there a template hub online that anyone knows of? I looked through the templates in Components and there isn't much. Maybe someone has already mapped Diva and Zebra for the mk3?

arniewest wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:08 pm ... just bought a SL Mk3. Thing is a beast and I'm just starting to crack this open.
Three questions, if you don't mind:
1) Can programing of the unit be done completely within the unit? Meaning, no external editor needed?
2) Is it so far easy and intuitive to program, which ever the case the above?
3) Is the unit Class Compliant?--I've read that it is, but perhaps you could say.
Thanks!

I'm of the opinion that the best thing to control a soft synth is a hardware synth since there are corresponding controls (map filter cutoff to filter cutoff, and so on) and I spend less time thinking about what goes where. Zebra is its own thing, and it's not always simple to map it in an intuitive way, but I use my Sub37 to control Diva and Repro a lot.

I've just bought a Novation 61SL Mk3...
It's a great controller...
It has:
- 2 CV out/gate/mod and clock, on local zones and transparently on midi 4/5
- everything is done on the controller and, man, it's explained clearly in the user manual! :-D
- sure it is class compliant: I use it on Linux. Only the first firmware update required me to do on windows and using local installer... I'm sure that working a bit harder it is possible to have it working on linux too using Chrome browser like it should... didn't work on windows too... maybe my fault...
- it has 8 programmable zones, you can activate/deactivate while playing with a button press!
- it is recognized by Bitwig on Linux using Moss driver. nice!
- you can map all controls to u-he, at least I do on my Bitwig on Linux box.
- and it's a joy for eyes, full of light and stuff..

I'm very happy with it.

Previously I bought panorama P6 but didn't work that easy and both units were faulty: this is the replacement... I didn't trust SL Mk3 initially because talking with Novation support they sayd that was not going to work on Linux... FALSE! works perfectly!

Just my 2c...

Fabrizio

So it's working out better than your P6?
I saw Moss' introduction video for the SL3. He wasn't very optimistic about how deeply the unit could be programmed. For instance, access to the screen wasn't possible then. Does it have it now?

I'm quite sure the P6 had hardware problems. Can't believe the top of line product of Nektar to be in that shape, given that their support was prompt and competent. I think I should blame Amazon, for the first time in my life, but probably it's not their fault too: just my usual luck!

Regarding the Novation 61 SL Mk3 I can only say good things, up to now.

CV works, MIDI works, assign MIDI control in Bitwig works... Moss driver does what it's supposed to do.
If you mean the little screens with the dials and choices, they work under Moss driver. I don't know what they are supposed to do more than what they do, if any.
I can only say that Diva is even more.. divine.. dialing knobs.
Bye,

Fabrizio

--
Last edited by ehgdae on Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forgotten wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:45 pm Aren’t both synths NKS compatible? Have you considered NI hardware?
Which do you recommend? I have an A49 and i use the keyboard, pitch, mod, and 8 pots. I don't really use NKS/Komplete Kontrol cos it's a PITA. I have a lot of patchs and i have KUCE for the drumkits and it would take a lifetime to get to a particular drumkit or a particular patch using the A49. I have 1000+ drumkits from the expansions i have installed, and AFAIK there's no quick scroll.

I'm happy for you to tell me i'm wrong, and that i should go back to the manual again to brush up on using this A49. I haven't complained/enquired to NI about the apparent lack of quick scroll, and i accept i could be mistaken. I'm not unhappy with the keyboard, it's great to have 8 pots that actually work.

I was searching for info about Diva + controller/s, and i found this thread. I'm considering going Funkybot's Evil Twin's recommended route. I haven't read further than your post, yet.

Return to “u-he”