Is this worth finishing? Short demo with vocals (some form of dreamy pop)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/user-211959681/s ... o-dumb-002

I thought it was rather nice but a friend of mine totally hated it! :) So now I am very confused, for the first time i cannot trust my instincts. Maybe the verse is a little bit off at the moment, but the chorus! Is the chorus really that bad?! I been looping it over and over... feedback highly welcome!

Your voice is good.
I would try and finish it, because when you work on an idea and finish the idea, I think you grow anyway; taking something that might sound average to you, and making it better.
What I would say is that you are doing almost a call and response with your own voice, and its making things cluttered.
"Yes I see you, yes I do, Oh, oh, oh oh..."
I would personally let an instrument (or female singer) cover the "Oh oh oh oh" part, see if that works better. Let the listener absorb the voice, give them space to do that.
As it stands now there is voice clutter in the arrangement imho.

Also, if "wow, wow , wow" is the start of the chorus it needs to have more energy. Take it a few semitones up (e.g. a 3rd or 5th up)and add a layer.
There is little energy difference between verse and chorus as it stands.
Last edited by Bansaw on Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yes, I like what you've got so far. Got a bit of a Bernard Sumner thing going on with the vocal - not quite in tune, but sung with a certain insouciance that carries it and makes it endearing (especially for an old git New Order fan such as I...)

Lots to do arrangement wise etc, but a promising start.

Anything is worth finishing. What's the worst that can happen?

Give it a shot and see what you end up with. Then play it for us and we'll give you feedback. Right now, there's not really enough there to know either way.

If you like it, then yes.

i'd just loop it over and over and let the lyrics sink in.

The chorus is not bad at all. I think this is aboslutely worth making it a whole song. The refrain could maybe make use of some doubled vocals when appareing for the second time? It's catchy and if I were you I would go on with it.
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

Well... I disagree: Not everything is worth finishing. I'm deleting maybe 50 ideas for one song sometimes. Not deleting them would be musical garbage the world don't need. ;)

To your songidea: It is good, but need new clothes.

1) Bansaw is right. For me the wow wow wow should go up up down and need more attack (not agression). Listen to some Songs of The Cure to see how to *softattack* voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjvfIJstWeg

2) The reverb on voice is horrible in my ears same as the actual instrumentation. keep the basic idea, but then... ~shrugs~

The song that come close to what I mean and think you should do is Lonesome Cowboy from Hubert Kah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMjZBXIgk5c

Return to “Music Cafe”