Bixenter - Exoplanet (my first commercial track. Hard to describe genre. Like trap, electronic post-rock?)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
arseniy2
KVRist
182 posts since 27 Aug, 2014

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:29 am

Check it out. Let me know what you think.
https://soundcloud.com/bixenter/exoplanet

Track started as experimental thing with several sounds blending together in some specific way. You can hear that start of the song is that kind of pulsating bass sequence. And then the other melody sounds you hear are actually blended in. This is best hearable between main sections and in the end. When sounds like affect each other, distorting each other. All the melody sounds except the heavy bass and strings, are blended together in that specific way. Which sounds a bit like they are played through some old radio.
Subscribe me. I need folowers.
SoundCloud / Youtube / some music

ChameleonMusic
KVRist
75 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Re: Bixenter - Exoplanet (my first commercial track. Hard to describe genre. Like trap, electronic post-rock?)

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:06 am

It grabs me - There are some seriously great hooks in there and the overall rhythmic groove is very compelling at times.

Opinion only:

Works well as it is, but...

At around the 1 minute mark after the initial build up I would've liked to hear a more full and polished sound and not the continuation of the lo-fi elements - gets a bit 'old' for me if kept going too long? (It could be brought back in later with more impact as well if it drops out for a while?

I would also consider pulling back the reverb a little bit on one or two sounds? It's effective, but a bit overwhelming at times?

Me personally - I would want to hear a much more contrasting central section with new riffs in a different key centre...taking it all somewhere totally different before returning to the strong main idea to finish.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music

arseniy2
KVRist
182 posts since 27 Aug, 2014

Re: Bixenter - Exoplanet (my first commercial track. Hard to describe genre. Like trap, electronic post-rock?)

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:30 am

Thank you Chameleon man.

I am also a guy who likes much more variative music. And I can do complex melodies. I decided to go in more commercial way so I went with that one melodic pattern, that only changes in timbre slowly. I am also not a fan of 808 drums. Just thought that they would be more appealing to public in this.

As for reverbs. But aren't some shouts have no reverb? Hot sure what was meant. Because it goes like 2 shouts no long reverb, one with long.

I am very tired to check mastering for this track. It made in a chain of several projects. And each time to make full render it takes 15-25 minutes to render each project on my old PC(and together they take over hour) :( So, for example I tweaked hats several times. But each time to hear how it sounds in final master it takes over hour to render. And you can guess hats wasn't the only thing I tweaked. So a lot of time spent just on boring technical stuff.
Subscribe me. I need folowers.
SoundCloud / Youtube / some music

Return to “Music Cafe”