Purchasing a Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio as my first electric guitar.. is it a good choice?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As the title says. Was going to purchase a Jackson JS32 dka-m in gloss black but I was put off by a couple of things. Construction quality, Licenced Floyd Rose and maybe the limited ability to play blues rock.
I've been looking at the Epiphone Goth Led Paul as an alternative which might be a better choice. It's a little more expensive but seems worth it.
Can't find one locally to try though.
It will only be used for home recording an not gigging.
Thoughts welcome.

My advice is, if you want to buy a new Epi LP, spring for the Tribute Plus.

And in any case, if you have a sound in mind, pickups is where it’s (mostly) at.

kvotchin wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:49 am My advice is, if you want to buy a new Epi LP, spring for the Tribute Plus.

And in any case, if you have a sound in mind, pickups is where it’s (mostly) at.
Thanks for the reply.
The tribute plus (new) is way out of my price range but it does sound nice quickly listening on YouTube.

Blues rock comes out of your fingers first, the amp / distortion / overdrive pedals next, then the pickups. Or reversed: the cleaner the sound, the more important the pickups. With all knobs at eleven the guitar itself is irrelevant.

Humbuckers should be fine me thinks, but Stevie Ray Vaughn is definitely single coils.

Nothing wrong with Floyd Rose systems, they are best invention since sliced bread. I can take my floyd rose equipped strat after months and it's still in tune. Without them you're tuning all the time. Or is it the "licensed" thing? Don't worry, they're all good.

I have one piece of solid advice: never ever buy a guitar without holding it in your hands and playing it first! You need to feel a click with the instrument. Even in a row of 5 simular models, there's just one that whispers "buy me" in your ear.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:11 am Blues rock comes out of your fingers first, the amp / distortion / overdrive pedals next, then the pickups. Or reversed: the cleaner the sound, the more important the pickups. With all knobs at eleven the guitar itself is irrelevant.

Humbuckers should be fine me thinks, but Stevie Ray Vaughn is definitely single coils.

Nothing wrong with Floyd Rose systems, they are best invention since sliced bread. I can take my floyd rose equipped strat after months and it's still in tune. Without them you're tuning all the time. Or is it the "licensed" thing? Don't worry, they're all good.

I have one piece of solid advice: never ever buy a guitar without holding it in your hands and playing it first! You need to feel a click with the instrument. Even in a row of 5 simular models, there's just one that whispers "buy me" in your ear.
Awesome advice. Thank you.
Sorry when I meant blues rock, I should of stated blues overtones as priority is hard rock (ie Guns n Roses type).
I was previously a bass player when I was in my teens and 20s (I'm 47 now) and owned many a bass from USA custom BC Rich and JP st3s, So I know where you are coming from when you say try it first.
It's just a shame I can't seem to find a Epiphone Goth Studio anywhere in my area to try.

Youtube reviews... I don't know what you can learn from them. You see shiny pics of a guitar and a guy playing it, maybe twist some of the knobs.

As said, it's mainly in the fingers. For example Carlos Santana or BB King. No matter what guitar and amp, you recognise it's them instantly. So the demonstration video is of the demonstrator, not the specific guitar. Imho ofcourse...

The Guns 'n Roses sound is with all knobs at eleven. The guitar is not much relevant. Harmonics is about pick technique, not about the guitar. I can do that sound with my Orange tube head, even with my Ovation acoustic plugged in. Yes, I tried that and succeeded.

Now why have you narrowed down the choice already to these two: a LP clone and a humbucker strat? So shape of the body is not what you are looking for. What were your selection criteria?

If I were you, forget about these specific brands & models. There's thousands to chose from.

Go visit a guitar store you think deserves you as a client. Tell them your criteria (humbuckers for less than $350) and let them show what they have. Maybe bring a friend that plays better than you do. Even if you have to drive two hours, it's worth it.

There will be one guitar whispering "buy me" in your ear. Chances are it won't be the one you currently are thinking of.

I did. Purchased the Jackson Js32 Dka-m after having another play on it.
It felt right and ordered one there and then.

It's a bit late now, but I was going to say "avoid Floyd Rose systems on a cheap guitar", unless you're a shredder it's just an unnecessary complication (and expense), stick to something with a nice simple hard-tail.

My opinion is you are right to be put off by "Licensed" Floyd Rose.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Thanks for the input guys.
I'll see how the Floyd does. If all fails, I guess I can upgrade later or block it.
But must admit, when I tried the shop floor model, it seemed ok.

Regardless, I'm so excited to finally be holding a guitar after so many years!
I missed my bass days in my 80s rock bands.
Got that same feeling again!

Mikelo wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:01 am Thanks for the input guys.
I'll see how the Floyd does. If all fails, I guess I can upgrade later or block it.
But must admit, when I tried the shop floor model, it seemed ok.
Having a guitar is better than not. I just found I spent more time tuning than playing with a crappy Floyd Rose. That was over 20 years ago so maybe things have changed. Best of luck. Nice looking guitar. I block the trem everytime any way.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Mikelo wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:28 pm I did. Purchased the Jackson Js32 Dka-m after having another play on it.
It felt right and ordered one there and then.
Congrats, well done !!

Thanks everyone for their advice. I'm sure they're be more guitars down the road ;-)

I know it is too late now but.... I bought an Epiphone Goth Les Paul when they first came out. After much research at the time, the consenus was it was better and cheaper than the Gibson equivilant.

I really didn't want to get rid of it, but had to downsize, when I moved in with my lovely lady, 9 years ago, so given I had three humbucker guitars, I got rid of the Epiphone and (I really regret this) my Maverick X1 and kept my 1989 BC Rich Warlock.

I have since picked up a Epiphone Les Paul Special, swapped the pickups for some Maverick X1 pickups that I stumbled across on Ebay and replaced all the hardware with something better. I have this as my weird tuning guitar.

But I would like an Epiphone Goth Le Paul again sometime.

Return to “Guitars”