One Synth Challenge #131: Syncla-X (Voting Over, results pending)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Taron wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:00 am Uh, wow, haven't looked into the thread yet... well, here's a first little doodle with this thing. Man, it's not easy to get into it, but I think there are some neat things to discover. Thus far I have only used the first 2 oscillators. Even after 8 presets from scratch, I still need a moment to get the sound to come out, hahaha. :lol: ...(volume up -check, sustain up -check, osc1 volume up- check, osc1 sustain up- check, cutoff up, cutoff sustain up - check, check, velocity up (to avoid heart attack) - check...PAN 1 to center -check) OK, now I can start dialing stuff around. :P

https://soundcloud.com/taronium/synclumsy01/s-mnQGi
Wonderful doodle! I need some tips on kick or bass drum design with this. My kick has this weird click and not enough thump with Syncla-X :help:

Yeah, kicks are rough with it. Thus far I've made 3 of them, all almost the same principle. But they all are not stable, so to say. Every now and then it seems like certain notes won't get played, which is another weird thing.

Anyway, for the kick you have 2 main approaches, but I haven't tried pitch bending, yet...potentially 3 therefore. The 2 I'm talking about use filter and resonance with their envelope for the thump, but the envelopes are not consistent. I suspect the waveform starts aren't either, but haven't investigated it. However, one approach is with tuned oscillator and filter, making sure the body is in tune for maximum volume/fullness. The other is with a diffused oscillator, using FM impact and higher frequencies on the oscillator to generate a noise instead. There I also use the envelope on the modulators for the attack click.
Maybe I'll share some presets, but I haven't even saved one, yet, hahaha... tsssss...and I constantly want to, because of the tedious init. :roll:

FrogsInPants wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:28 pm Here's an alternate slider image you can drop in for digital display on sliders.

DigitalSynclaXSliders.zip

And here's a rescale to 80%, with the above sliders and my knobs from earlier. Other buttons were not rescaled, as they fit close enough. I repositioned the preset select buttons since (at least in the AU version) they were positioned in the middle of the Carrier block of knobs. :dog:

SynclaX80PercentScale.zip

That's enough to make the UI usable for me. Hopefully it is helpful to someone else, as well.
Good day! In any case, thank you for your work! Fixing the orientation of the knobs is very useful. I'm working on Windows 64bit. I dragged all the files to the folder with Syncla-X (the file named "gui.se.json" was not there, it was not replaced) as a result, the background became smaller, but the location of the knobs remained the same and does not match the background. Please tell me, what else can I try to do to make the scaling work correctly?
Last edited by IV! on Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not sure, if you guys have already found this and/or are annoyed by this as much as I am, but you can change the knob behavior from "rotary" to "vertical", for example, by going into the two txt files in the syncla-x folder...
Syncla-X V2__shiny_cap_sm.txt
Syncla-X V2__moog_knob_sm.txt
Both show a parameter called: "mouse_response", which by default is set to "rotary". Set it to "vertical" instead and you have the usual knob behavior.
It may be tougher to fine tune, once you're there, but it certainly feels easier to handle right away!

IV! wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:11 pm Good day! In any case, thank you for your work! Fixing the orientation of the knobs is very useful. I'm working on Windows 64bit. I dragged all the files to the folder with Syncla-X (the file named "gui. se.json" was not there, it was not replaced) as a result, the background became smaller, but the location of the knobs remained the same and does not match the background. Please tell me, what else can I try to do to make the scaling work correctly?
Shoot. Yeah, I'm looking at the Windows VSTs now, and it looks like the contents of that document are compiled into the DLL (I see the document in there as an embedded string). I'm surprised that it's not just another data file in the directory, since so many other bits are. So, nuts, I guess the resize is AU only for now. :( It might be possible to patch the binary, but... :neutral:
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Thanks anyway for doing this job for us!)

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Is there any way to have all of these parameters named properly? (image link below) Because right now they're just named with single letters. Obviously programming within the GUI is fine, but for mapping parameters to modulators this is kind of difficult to work with.

https://i.imgur.com/aI5EpeB.png (https://i.imgur.com/aI5EpeB.png)

Strange... in MuLab on win7 64bit as vst2 the parameters all have names, if I look at them in the "generic editor". :shrug:

Hmmm, interesting. I'm assuming it's just the AU version that has this issue.

All parameter names also appear as expected in Reaper-64bit (v5.99) for automation. Syncla-Xb version 1.12, VST2.

Btw - anyone managed to get a reedy sound or a horn (trumpet/bone) sound? Should be possible to get the "FM" style of these … but struggling to get anywhere near …

dB

I'm sure most of you have seen that already, but there are three days left to get NI's Raum, which is quite a nice reverb/echo effect:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... /get-raum/

Pity it's not simply a free plugin, because I'd love to use it here in the OSC. But there are a whole bunch of awesome reverbs out there anyway... but it's nice!

So... This synthesizer can cut off my ears, lives in its own tonality, and it still needs to be persuaded to start producing sound. I was one of those who voted for it, and I realized that it was a big mistake to vote for a synthesizer that I liked in absentia. :scared: :scared: :scared:
Meanwhile, it is very... original. Well, let's fight the terrible for the beautiful! Heh, I exaggerate a little!) It is my first impression after half an hour of struggle for the appearance of sound from an empty patch and the deafening filter resonance in my headphones.
I wish you all good luck this month! I am sure that this competition will feature especially non-standard works!

P.S Taron, it is a gorgeous and inspiring demo track! Just thank you!

Here's my "init" patch, giving you a clean head start with far less frustration! 8)
You're very welcome, IV! :hug:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thank you very much! However, the first thing I did was create my own Init (it may also be useful to someone). I prepared all the operators, almost did not touch the ADSR, and set the standard tonality. Of course, this may be insignificant when the entire track is created from a single patch of a single synth, but... I just did it. It can be useful later if someone wants to include Syncla-X sounds in their tracks. And I do not rule out that those who want to appear, because this synthesizer allows you to create fantastic FM sounds completely at ease!
But I want to say thank you again! In this competition, really polite and responsive people! :hug:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

i can't say i am excited about making something with this, per se.

Return to “Instruments”