New song (electronic pop)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
SparkySpark
KVRAF
1754 posts since 30 Aug, 2004 from Lancaster, UK

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:10 am

Hi all,

New year, new song! It's quite catchy and positive for a breakup song. (I'd appreciate comments on level settings - vocals, reverbs, EQ etc, having tried to tame the highs and to mix the song for consumer phones rather than for my 712's. If anything sounds dull I can bring the highs back again.)

Synths used of interest:
- Lynx (bell; highs tamed with EQ)
- G8TOR (stutter à la DM; highs tamed with EQ)
- Pigments (stutter with more crunch)

(Note that the SoundCloud page also contains the lyrics.)

https://soundcloud.com/terenius/lovingovertime

Enjoy, and Happy New Year! :phones: :party:
Last edited by SparkySpark on Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Person 1: Say a number between 1 and 10.
Computer scientist: There is no number between 1 and 10.
Go MuLab!

wagtunes
KVRAF
17929 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: New song (electronic pop)

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:49 am

Can't help with the EQ because my 5k and over is shot.

Production wise, mix is fine. But song is way too long for a pop song especially since there isn't a lot of dynamic modulation in it. It never really builds and outside of the one part where the instruments drop out, there isn't much change. Were the song 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, it would have been fine. But at over 5 minutes, it just doesn't hold interest.

Just my opinion of course.

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
25678 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:22 am

Nice one SparkySpark. I really enjoyed that ... has a cool retro vibe to it (80s). Reminds me of Mathew Deer in style and vocal delivery. Production is sparse but interesting enough. Really catchy too :)

SparkySpark
KVRAF

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:32 am

Hi,

Thanks both for your comments!

First, let me say I am happily relieved the mix itself is fine. :)

I understand Wagtunes's comment about the length. Yes, well, all my songs tend to be a bit long, usually because the lyrics take on a life of their own. I know for a hit song it's way too long, but as thecontrolcentre said, it's got a vibe I like myself, so personally I don't mind it going on for a while.

Retro vibe! Hmmmm.... and I who try to update my sound. :lol: I guess my background (growing up with DM, Kate Bush, Laurie Anderson, and lighter stuff like Petshop Boys etc) is showing through.

Thanks again for the comments, and thanks for listening! :tu:
Go MuLab!

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
25678 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:44 am

SparkySpark wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:32 am
Retro vibe! Hmmmm.... and I who try to update my sound. :lol:
As I said, there's a touch of Mathew Deer in there too. He's a modern artist. His recent album Bunny is excellent. :)

SparkySpark
KVRAF

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:24 am

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:44 am
SparkySpark wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:32 am
Retro vibe! Hmmmm.... and I who try to update my sound. :lol:
As I said, there's a touch of Mathew Deer in there too. He's a modern artist. His recent album Bunny is excellent. :)
Thanks! I forgot to mention it above, but I got interested and have already started to listen to his music. :tu:
Go MuLab!

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15391 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:44 pm

The main body of the song is nice and clear. But I found the vocal a little too veiled, and dynamically a little too inconsistent, which made it feel apart from the rest of the song.

SparkySpark
KVRAF

Post Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:42 pm

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:44 pm
The main body of the song is nice and clear. But I found the vocal a little too veiled, and dynamically a little too inconsistent, which made it feel apart from the rest of the song.
Thanks el-bo!

I agreed with you and moved the vocals a bit more upfront, while still letting the reverb shine through (thanks to the proximity feature of the Eventide SP2016).

I also fixed some of the inconsistencies and other minor stuff, and uploaded the song anew. Thanks again! :tu:
Go MuLab!

thejonsolo
KVRAF
2404 posts since 13 Apr, 2008 from Charleston, SC

Post Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:23 pm

It is a nice song. I would have desired more dynamics in the song itself, some change up in parts. I think the length would not be an issue if the overall song were more dynamic. You did have some nice breakdowns, though.

As for the vocals, they feel like they belong with a different arrangement. Well performed, but did not seem to fit the bouncy background you had going with it.

Frantz
KVRAF
5267 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:33 pm

You seem to have invented a new style here: Easy Listening Hi-NRG. :) I especially like the sequencing.

I think the vocals are bit too restrained throughout. I think it would be better if you increased the intensity during the choruses.

A unique and enjoyable listen. Good job! :tu:

SparkySpark
KVRAF

Post Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:42 am

Oh, you all make me so happy! This is the first release I really enjoy - after WAY too many years of fiddling around with MIDI stuff. Yeah, I know the vocals are not 100 % but still it's just a hobby of mine, and I'm not really a singer. :D

I should put "Easy Listening Hi-NRG artist" on my business card. :hihi:
Go MuLab!

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15391 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:54 am

SparkySpark wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:42 pm
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:44 pm
Thanks el-bo!

I agreed with you and moved the vocals a bit more upfront, while still letting the reverb shine through (thanks to the proximity feature of the Eventide SP2016).

I also fixed some of the inconsistencies and other minor stuff, and uploaded the song anew. Thanks again! :tu:
It's definitely an improvement :tu:

SparkySpark
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:30 am

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:54 am
It's definitely an improvement :tu:
Thanks, and thanks for your help! :tu:
Go MuLab!

ATS
KVRAF
6515 posts since 21 Dec, 2002 from MD USA

Post Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:17 am

Oh my God, people mix and master for phones now!?!? I guess I should of known this by now but this just floors me that it has come to this.
my music: https://www.soundclick.com/alexcooper
The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls ~ Pablo Picasso

ATS
KVRAF
6515 posts since 21 Dec, 2002 from MD USA

Post Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:23 am

I don't think just because something is just a pop song that it has to be short. That is pretty much nonsense.
I felt the vocals needed something more effect wise. They sound very bland to me except where you filter then which is pretty effective. For my ears this has enough highs. I really think the vocals would benefit from some sort of delay effect mostly, if not that and more. Also maybe some interesting reverb effect. It just sounds, I hate to say it but cheap. The vocals themselves are fine though, just the processing on them could be much better in my opinion. The song itself I really enjoyed but you should go back and polish it up some. Just because you do it just for a hobby doesn't mean it has to sound like it. I really enjoyed this and want to see it better.
my music: https://www.soundclick.com/alexcooper
The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls ~ Pablo Picasso

Return to “Music Cafe”