2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pekbro wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:21 pm Normally, I wouldn't do the kickstarter thing, but the trend lately seems to be of limited production runs.
Companies aren't moving these products into regular production cycles. Either get on board during the
kickstarter or hope that you can find a used one down the road (that isn't being sold for 4x the price).

The used module I mentioned in Austria was one such module, I would have had to pay 3x what the
owner had originally paid in the kickstarter. He had gotten in on day one for cheap, which is why his
profit would have been so high. Kickstarter is cool, but also a pretty annoying way of bringing a product
to market for reasons like that imho. :shrug:
Interesting concept with that module. I've just been reading about it. Not for me.. I'm way to old skool.. or just old fashioned, I like my multi switches, sequenced switches, precision adders, trigger delays, logic modules etc.. ;)

Yeah... not keen on kickstarter either.. though nice post for any interested, thanx pekbro for posting.

I have a couple of modules from new manufactures... they took a gamble and developed and manufactured with their risk with just a few pre-orders (which I was happy to participate with, with the developer vult, as I had know him and his VCV_Rack modules) I got the Freak filter... another guy Tesseract, has a few modules, I got the step fader... a very hands on, and um.. inspiring sequencer with some cool features.. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract ... step-fader Face is PCB, but I'm ok with that.. looks pretty ))))

Digivolt wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 pm Just picked up a Neutron really quite spare of the moment
Fantastic bit of kit... first H/W synth I've had since the 1970s/80's.. Roland system 100... sold in 1985 :cry:
I can do more with the neutron.. and it's NOT a clone... :tu:

So we are like "bros" or is it "bruvs" now... :hug:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

let us know what else you plan to get.. ))))

toonertik wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:41 pm let us know what else you plan to get.. ))))
I'm planning on getting a Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre and a Novation Peak, unless anybody can suggest alternatives (Considered a scarlett 18i8 Gen3 but it's not much extra for a 4 pre, was looking at RME Babyface Pro FS too at a stretch for better latency) and before I settled on getting a Peak I was thinking of Hydrasynth which then switched to Argon 8 with the announcement of their desktop version and possibly Wavestate (but I'm against wavestate until there's a desktop version)

toonertik wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:37 pm

Interesting concept with that module. I've just been reading about it. Not for me.. I'm way to old skool.. or just old fashioned, I like my multi switches, sequenced switches, precision adders, trigger delays, logic modules etc.. ;)

Yeah... not keen on kickstarter either.. though nice post for any interested, thanx pekbro for posting.

I have a couple of modules from new manufactures... they took a gamble and developed and manufactured with their risk with just a few pre-orders (which I was happy to participate with, with the developer vult, as I had know him and his VCV_Rack modules) I got the Freak filter... another guy Tesseract, has a few modules, I got the step fader... a very hands on, and um.. inspiring sequencer with some cool features.. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract ... step-fader Face is PCB, but I'm ok with that.. looks pretty ))))
Definitely not for everyone :)

Yeah, I have 2 or 3 modules from start up developers who did it the hard way via their own
capital rather than a kickstarter. (Cosmotronic, Acid Rain and (DNIPro?)) They are all great imo,
I definitely have vult and Tesseract on my want to buy list as well. :tu:

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:24 pm Since it's a new year, maybe time for a new thread? :)
I just bought new pedals for analog synthesizers:

EHX Bass Big Muff
EHX Bass Soul Food
Boss RE-20

I'm going to buy:

Elektron Octratrack or Analog Rhythm
New mic preamp!
Cheap keyboard for lo-fi sound (can anyone recommend something? :D )

Sequential Pro 3 (standard)

stop buying all the stuff!
buy me some :D

im holding out for a bit, bot my burthday coming up. fanily give me cash as im difficult to buy for...
may as well wait, put it all together, see if theres anything expensive enough on my list, then work my way down the list till its gone :hihi:

shelves first, take the modular vurtical seeing as im out of horizontal space. bit of a reshuffle for better workflow too i think 8)

Heh, this is actually a bit of a last hurrah for a while as I've got some actual bills coming up.
Very likely my shopping habits will be curbed substantially... Probably :ud:

I just really wanted a nice fixed arch synth to go with the modular. A pretty tough call between
this and the Matriarch (for me anyway). The Moog no doubt has better affinity towards modular,
but there is some redundancy as well I think, as it's basically a modular rig with built in keyboard.
The Pro 3 is a bit more modern and divergent from that. It also happens to fit the handy keyboard
tray under my desk where the moog would not, and of course, it's still quite a bit cheaper in the end.

I also considered the Hydrasynth, even though it lost out, I may sneak in the desktop version
down the road as well. :lol:

A couple of years ago,I had bought 2 special edition platinum Korg Krome keyboards and both of the OS's failed on me within a week of owning them,so I had never intended to deal with Korg ever again.
Recently....I noticed that a revamped version of the Krome was released about a year ago....so I did some research....could not find a single bad report on the new Krome EX...so I pulled the trigger on one...a little over a week ago and no issues.
The new color scheme is tasty,the keybed on the 73 is nice,the extra 200MB of PCM is nice,
and it is excellent as a midi controller.
It's strange that there is no software editor for the EX...but it does come with Reason 10 lite,UVI's Digital Synsations(which is an utterly amazing plugin)...as well as some other stuff.
There are some realy nice programs on the EX,but also a lot of lackluster ones(mainly due to some very lazy programming)...which is very sad,as the EX is a very capable machine(as evidenced by some of the 3rd party sound programmers out there.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWMe_MaugT0

Just concluded the deal on my new module>>> Endorphin.es BLCK_Noir 7-Channel Hybrid Drum Generator
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/endorphin-es-blck-noir :party: :party: :party:
:tu:

Digivolt wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:17 pm
toonertik wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:41 pm let us know what else you plan to get.. ))))
I'm planning on getting a Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre and a Novation Peak, unless anybody can suggest alternatives (Considered a scarlett 18i8 Gen3 but it's not much extra for a 4 pre, was looking at RME Babyface Pro FS too at a stretch for better latency) and before I settled on getting a Peak I was thinking of Hydrasynth which then switched to Argon 8 with the announcement of their desktop version and possibly Wavestate (but I'm against wavestate until there's a desktop version)
I have a Focusrite VoiceMaster Pro, lovely mic pre and expect the Clarett would be similar quality... However if/when I finally have to replace my old E-MU PCI 1820m it would probably be with an RME... Been lusting after one since about the time I got the E-MU, just too expensive for me then.

Yeah Novation Peak :tu:

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:00 am stop buying all the stuff!
buy me some :D

im holding out for a bit, bot my burthday coming up. fanily give me cash as im difficult to buy for...
may as well wait, put it all together, see if theres anything expensive enough on my list, then work my way down the list till its gone :hihi:

shelves first, take the modular vurtical seeing as im out of horizontal space. bit of a reshuffle for better workflow too i think 8)
Same here..

not sure if I can handle going vurtical...

I'll play safe and go vertical. I'm maybe planning 6/9U x 48 hp.. my leaning tower of pizzazz.. with my DIY.. :help:

toonertik wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:14 pm Just concluded the deal on my new module>>> Endorphin.es BLCK_Noir 7-Channel Hybrid Drum Generator
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/endorphin-es-blck-noir :party: :party: :party:
:tu:
Nice! Endorphin.es stuff is top notch from what I hear. I'd like to get the whole shuttle system
one day myself. :tu:

I could make this a much longer story, but I decided to go ahead and stick with my "FM Overkill" modular setup, keeping my Akemie's Castle as well as my Hertz Donut mk2. :hyper: Which means not getting either the Xaoc Odessa or the 4ms Ensemble Oscillator, but that's OK.

I'm also no longer gonna wait to sell the modules I was planning to let go of: HD mk3, DSM-03 Feedback, tanh[3], and Cold Mac. Also gonna sell my Supercell, to go with Typhoon or similar Clouds version -- I don't really use the internal noise source for modulation and have plenty of attenuverters to work with anyway, so I can save 18HP there.

That'll give me ~33HP of space (give or take a few minor players) but no real plans to fill it. I'm not going to buy anything else, modules or pedals, at least until after the E520 arrives and I can evaluate that. I feel like I am closing in on a "final form" for my modular, but I have thought that before...

Digivolt wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:17 pm
I got a bargain on a lightly used Clarett 8Pre (from the GC on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood) and have been pleased with it. Big step up from the Scarlett 6i6. I usually keep the "Air" feature on every input, it's that good.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”