Sampletank 4 crashes DAW when minimizing GUI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm currently talking with IK about this issue but wanted to hear if anybody here has experienced something similar. Sampletank 4 MAX crashes my DAW when I minimize S4's GUI. This happens in FL Studio, Bitwig and the free Cantabile vst host. In standalone mode S4 works perfectly so it's some kind of connection to the DAWs that makes it happen. Both the VST2 and VST3 version do this and all dll files are placed correctly.
I've tried reinstalling, rolling back to an earlier version, running my DAW(s) as admin and fiddled with the PCs DPI options (All suggestions from IK) - nothing works.
As it is, S4 is useless for me when not working in my DAWs. Has anybody tried something similar? Either with Sampletank or any other plugin for that matter?

Please report this to Technical Support so that they can investigate / confirm / fix.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:07 pm Please report this to Technical Support so that they can investigate / confirm / fix.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/
I have, as stated above :wink: Just looking for additional advice here too :-)

Oops ;)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

It worked before, so there is precedent.
You've done the full drill on your end, so it sounds like
a sneaky so-called 'OS update' to me. Wouldn't be the first time.
Won't be the last time.
Win 10? 8? 7?
Cheers

glokraw wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:52 pm It worked before, so there is precedent.
You've done the full drill on your end, so it sounds like
a sneaky so-called 'OS update' to me. Wouldn't be the first time.
Won't be the last time.
Win 10? 8? 7?
Cheers
Actually, it never worked. I just bought it. I'm on W10 and it's always updated. As for S4, it doesn't matter if it's updated or not. It doesn't work in a DAW for me. As it is right now IK can't figure out the problem either :(

Are you running a graphics card, or using integrated graphics?

GUI issues could be due to graphics drivers...
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:03 pm Are you running a graphics card, or using integrated graphics?

I just have an onboard graphics card and no other pluging have the same problem. I'm currently in deep conversation with I.K. Multimedia about this issue and it would be an understatement saying that I've tried a lot (including a windows reinstall) to make this work. There could be loads of issues at hand here.

K-Bee wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:18 am
zzz00m wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:03 pm Are you running a graphics card, or using integrated graphics?

I just have an onboard graphics card and no other pluging have the same problem. I'm currently in deep conversation with I.K. Multimedia about this issue and it would be an understatement saying that I've tried a lot (including a windows reinstall) to make this work. There could be loads of issues at hand here.
Wow! Sorry you have been through all that and still haven't got it sorted. :o

I don't have any of the VST hosts you are using, so unable to test with them.But so far no crashes here with the hosts I have on hand: Reaper, Studio One, Ableton, and Cakewalk.

Problem solved and I have no idea how! S4 has stopped crashing for no apparent reason - I didn't do anything :-o I've been in contact with customer service for and tried everything. Had some problems with the s4 folder structure that they sorted out but it had nothing to do with the GUI crashes since that never happened in standalone mode
But it works and that's what matters. I hope I'll never have to reinstall again though as it's really tedious.

K-Bee wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:17 am Problem solved and I have no idea how! S4 has stopped crashing for no apparent reason - I didn't do anything :-o I've been in contact with customer service for and tried everything. Had some problems with the s4 folder structure that they sorted out but it had nothing to do with the GUI crashes since that never happened in standalone mode
But it works and that's what matters. I hope I'll never have to reinstall again though as it's really tedious.
Congrats ,.. but

Not very comforting moving on without knowing the reason, and without developers knowing
what goes on in their own creation, or them being able to take action imidiately,.. one then have to ask: "when will this happen again" ,... and "what will be next"

Seem's its been going on for at least one hole mounth ???

Guess it was plagued with a lot of issues being released in beta-stage also, and kinda cpu-hog,....

So I left with ST3 being the last

Anyway, best luck with ST4
HM

HM wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:24 am
K-Bee wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:17 am Problem solved and I have no idea how! ...
Congrats ,.. but

Not very comforting moving on without knowing the reason, and without developers knowing
what goes on in their own creation, or them being able to take action imidiately,.. one then have to ask: "when will this happen again" ,... and "what will be next"

Seem's its been going on for at least one hole mounth ???

Guess it was plagued with a lot of issues being released in beta-stage also, and kinda cpu-hog,....

So I left with ST3 being the last

Anyway, best luck with ST4
Computers and DAWs and virtual instruments are quite complex, with a lot of variables interacting between all of them. Reproducing an issue can be near impossible without having the exact same environment, or recipe, so to speak. And it is necessary to reproduce a tech issue reliably, in order to fix whatever is causing it.

I agree that IK probably rushed ST4 out the door too soon, with all of the ST4 pre-sales customers virtually being used as beta testers.

But after 9 version updates, and various instrument fixes, I will say that ST4 seems very stable for me now. Been a long time since I saw any crashes.

And also agree that some of the new instruments are very CPU demanding. But if I load ST3 instruments (which uses the old ST3 playback engine) it runs a fairly light load. Just the price to pay for the quality of the new sample-playback engine and the new instrument sounds!

As for now S4 runs great but obviously, I'm very aware what may (or may not) happen

Hello, sorry for bringing up this old thread again, but this issue is happening to me now. Sampletank 4 crashes reaper as soon as I click out of the ST GUI. I created a support ticket 6 days ago and no one has replied. Have you guys ever figured out what was the root cause and the solution?

Thanks!

clpton62 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:59 am Hello, sorry for bringing up this old thread again, but this issue is happening to me now. Sampletank 4 crashes reaper as soon as I click out of the ST GUI. I created a support ticket 6 days ago and no one has replied. Have you guys ever figured out what was the root cause and the solution?

Thanks!
It took them a while to get it right, but IK finally fixed everything in the 14th update (4.1.4 2021-05-20).

Are you running the latest version of ST4? It runs fine here using the latest Reaper v6.36. Can open and close the ST GUI as much as I want and no crashes.

If support cannot reproduce it, there is not going to be any way for them to fix your problem. You will probably have to narrow it down for them with some more specific details about your hardware/software setup.

Return to “Instruments”