Linux: Waveform10 crashes when opening Collective (solved, sorta)

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Other plugins seem to work fine, though I don't have any other vstis to try.

Waveform stops responding whenever collective's gui is opened and it needs to be force killed. I first observed this behavior about a week after buying Waveform when I plugged in a USB midi keyboard for the first time. Ever since, Collective has been completely unusable, whether the keyboard is plugged in or not.

Collective's sampler itself still works: I can still play it on tracks where I configured it before the crashes started. I can even use the new keyboard to play it on those tracks. The crash only happens when adding collective to a new track, or when clicking on it to open the gui on an existing track.

Deleting and reinstalling Waveform and Collective both didn't help. I reached out to Tracktion support, but they haven't responded for 12 days.

I tried to get logs by running Waveform from the command line, but when the crash occurs the logs stop immediately.

Is this a known issue? As I said, deleting and reinstalling Waveform and Collective didn't help, I couldn't get logs from stdout, and I am new to working with DAWs in general so I don't know what other troubleshooting tricks to try.

edit: After installing some more VSTis to further diagnose the issue, the problem fixed itself.
Last edited by trevortds on Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Does Collective works in other vst-hosts?
then how you can tell?

Kott wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:04 am Does Collective works in other vst-hosts?
The only other vst host I have is Carla, which will open the Collective gui, and produces sound. But if I try to load it directly into Waveform, it locks up.
then how you can tell?
VSTI, as in, instruments. Processing plugins such as the built-ins, DAW essentials, and other signal processors through Carla (Amplitube) work fine, but I don't have any other native instruments.

I recorded an example of the issue: https://youtu.be/_qR73diWB_I

You can see, I run Collective successfully through Carla, then run a track delay successfully with a new recording, but when I add Collective directly, the program crashes, doesn't answer ctrl-c on the command line, and needs to be force killed.

trevortds wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:31 pm
Kott wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:04 am Does Collective works in other vst-hosts?
The only other vst host I have is Carla, which will open the Collective gui, and produces sound. But if I try to load it directly into Waveform, it locks up.
then how you can tell?
VSTI, as in, instruments. Processing plugins such as the built-ins, DAW essentials, and other signal processors through Carla (Amplitube) work fine, but I don't have any other native instruments.

I recorded an example of the issue: https://youtu.be/_qR73diWB_I

You can see, I run Collective successfully through Carla, then run a track delay successfully with a new recording, but when I add Collective directly, the program crashes, doesn't answer ctrl-c on the command line, and needs to be force killed.
Just download any free VSTi like Surge or OB-XD and see if they work fine or not to rule that out.

Just download any free VSTi like Surge or OB-XD and see if they work fine or not to rule that out.
Tried Surge and OB-XD and both work fine, and shortly after installing them, collective started working again as well, even in blank projects. Restarted Waveform, still works.

So I guess for the moment its fixed, but in that really annoying way where there's no indication of what went wrong in the first place. It was broken for two weeks and I tried a whole bunch of stuff, but fixed itself after installing those two new VSTis.

If you have more diagnostic ideas, I'm happy to keep trying things, see if we can break it again, or find more information for posterity.

I'm guessing that there could be some incompatibility with the MIDI out somehow. As you said, you hadn't tried VSTis before and there might have been a probem somewhere. I have not faced a single problem with VSTis so far and I'm quite impressed by Waveform, coming from Reaper.

It might have been fixed cause you might have tried many things over time. I think it's sorted out permanently so you can close this as solved. All the best!

I had tried VSTis before, but Collective was the only one. I had collective working and was screwing around with it for a week. Then I plugged in a midi keyboard for the first time, then it broke, then I installed more VSTis for diagnosis, and then it was fixed.

Return to “Tracktion”