Question on modulation of pseudo-pw

Official support for: lennardigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong. But when I create a pulse (2 saws, both with retrigger on, one inverted) and then set up a modulation keytrack -> phase, it doesn't seem to do anything, even if I turn the mod amount knob to max.
The same goes for velocity -> phase modulation.
Is it just me?

Works fine here! What is it that you're trying to achieve exactly?
If you're trying to create a PWM sound, then you need to use the LFO to modulate the phase. Check preset 280: LD So This Is PWM in FactoryBank6 for an example.

It is strange, I have patches from like 3 years ago, where I used a keytrack -> phase modulation and it worked, but it does not work anymore.

When I make a new patch from scratch, it works, though.

I don't want to use an LFO, but linear PWM with velocity or keytrack.

Did you set the saw oscs on both part A and B? And did you set the Keytrack to modulate Phase on Part A or B only (not AB)? Works fine here!

No, I used two saws on one and the same layer. It used to work that way, and it still works with new patches I make today, but my old ones don't work anymore as expected.

Modulating Phase A will modulate the phase of osc A1 and osc A2 with the same value, so you won't hear anything change unless also have an osc on part B enabled.

Usually I don't post private messages in threads, but in this case I think it makes sense since otherwise people might get the wrong impression that the problem was on my side, while per pm you explained that it is due to a bug in a previous version of Sylenth1...

"Thanks, I see what you mean. This was caused by a bug in the phase modulation in Sylenth1 v2. What happens is that the phase of Osc A1 and A2 aren't adjusted at the exact same level due to the position of the Phase knob. It was fixed in v3.020 and above.

You can fix that preset by moving one of the saws to part B and then play with the Phase settings so that you get the sound you're after.

If you want Sylenth1 to sound exactly like v2, you can click MENU -> Open Data Folder -> Config -> Settings.xml and edit the line below as such:

<Compatibility useV2Engine="1" displayCutoffInHz="1"/>

Then save the file and restart Sylenth1. This is not recommended though, as it will revert back to the old engine instead of using the new improved one."

So, now I have to check and repair all older patches, thanks a lot :roll:

e-crooner wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:12 pm So, now I have to check and repair all older patches, thanks a lot :roll:
Well, only those that use such static phase modulation (which should be only very few presets). If it's modulated otherwise then you'll most likely won't hear much of a difference. Also, the bug in the old version caused the phase modulation to be slightly arbitrary, as it would not return to exactly the same value after twisting the knob. So those presets would probably have caused issues either way.

Well, I have about 60 bass and guitar patches like the example patch I sent you. Some of them have attack sounds made on the other layer, I can forget about those I suppose :P

Why is it not possible to make that whole clumsy pulse signal creation on one layer? The synth could intelligently recognize when 2 saws, both retriggered and one of them inverted are selected, and in this case gray out the right phase knob and turn the left phase knob into the layer phase control that can be modulated.
This would still be clumsy compared to synths with dedicated pulse signal and width control, but at least one would not have to sacrifice an entire instance for a single pulse signal.

Return to “LennarDigital”