Soundtrek

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
fastlanephil
KVRian
852 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Post Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:24 pm

Here's sort of a soundtrack genre tune.

New Version. Basses now mirror the cellos with slight accents.

https://soundcloud.com/fastlanephil/soundtrek
Last edited by fastlanephil on Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seismic1
KVRAF
9359 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Re: Soundtrek

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:42 pm

It's definitely in the soundtrack ballpark, and I like the combination or orchestral and electronic sounds. Big contrast between the first section and the second, both in terms of mood and sounds, but it works well.

Good work :)

Bansaw
KVRian
861 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:45 am

Nice. I think the mix could be less thin though.
needs more depth and width I think.
Maybe you could add some lower octave strings.
I think also you may be limited by your sample libraries.

fastlanephil
KVRian

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:16 pm

seismic1 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:42 pm
It's definitely in the soundtrack ballpark, and I like the combination or orchestral and electronic sounds. Big contrast between the first section and the second, both in terms of mood and sounds, but it works well.

Good work :)
Thanks seismic!

You can probably tell that I roughly came up with the first more flowing section and then later the contrasting second section which used the same basic arpeggio with different instrument arrangements. It is pretty minimalist, but as you said, it seems to work.

fastlanephil
KVRian

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:54 pm

Bansaw wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:45 am
Nice. I think the mix could be less thin though.
needs more depth and width I think.
Maybe you could add some lower octave strings.
I think also you may be limited by your sample libraries.
Hi Bansaw!

I was using Cinematic Strings cellos and violas and accenting the arpeggios with the the basses. Yes, it does seem a little thin for bass on the whole with the strings. I should try using both cellos and basses and adding more bass for accent.I also own LASS so I have some options. I could just nix the accents.

Thanks for commenting and the sonic critique.

thejonsolo
KVRAF
2381 posts since 13 Apr, 2008 from Charleston, SC

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:06 pm

Some potential. It feels like timing is off here and there. Blow by blow:

Opening part with the bell tones. I would have one tone for the lead, and a separate tone for the background. Create some contrast. When the synth kicks in, don't lose the bell background...gives the listener more continuity.

Then the piano kicks in...not sure why...but again, keeping the previous pad in the background would have tied it together offering us, the listener more continuity.

As the orchestral part kicks in, why not keep the piano in...see above. Give us additional texture as well.

Love the horns as they come in!

When the strings come in with the lead...they need more attack...don't use a slow string sound. And change to a legato string section. It will make your lead more distinct. I only suggest this because it seems you DO have the firepower in your sound arsenal.

With a bell tone coming back in, I would use your lead sound again from the beginning, and put a solo instrument on top...maybe a woodwind.

fastlanephil
KVRian

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:36 pm

thejonsolo wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:06 pm
Some potential. It feels like timing is off here and there. Blow by blow:

Opening part with the bell tones. I would have one tone for the lead, and a separate tone for the background. Create some contrast. When the synth kicks in, don't lose the bell background...gives the listener more continuity.

Then the piano kicks in...not sure why...but again, keeping the previous pad in the background would have tied it together offering us, the listener more continuity.

As the orchestral part kicks in, why not keep the piano in...see above. Give us additional texture as well.

Love the horns as they come in!

When the strings come in with the lead...they need more attack...don't use a slow string sound. And change to a legato string section. It will make your lead more distinct. I only suggest this because it seems you DO have the firepower in your sound arsenal.

With a bell tone coming back in, I would use your lead sound again from the beginning, and put a solo instrument on top...maybe a woodwind.
Hi,

Thanks for listening and the suggestions.

Return to “Music Cafe”