On-the-go music making device

Anything about hardware musical instruments.

Which one?

iPad Pro
68%
Akai Live
9%
Synthstrom Deluge
23%

Total votes: 22

Reefius
KVRian
879 posts since 7 Dec, 2013 from Belgium

Post Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:57 am

+1 for iPad from me, even though I generally dislike everything from Apple. As a Windows user it's a big pain in the @ss to transfer files like samples between the PC and iPad (especially if you don't want iTunes on your PC).

But it's all about the apps, and for IOS/iPadOS there are many great and fun apps to get you going in no time. I'm currently having a lot of fun with GrooveRider GR16 and Pure Acid. Cubasis is also great, but don't expect the complexity of Cubase Pro for Windows/Mac. It's more like Cubase Elements, but without the track limits. It can even export to Cubase so you can finish your tracks on your desktop.

Many apps also have an export to Ableton Live function, but none of them can export to Bitwig :P

fedexnman
KVRAF
2615 posts since 4 Jan, 2005

Re: On-the-go music making device

Post Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:21 am

Yeah that Novation circuit is a great idea too

JamminFool
KVRian
1133 posts since 16 Apr, 2004

Post Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:28 am

OP-1 and/or OP-Z.

chaosWyrM
KVRAF
1881 posts since 29 Apr, 2010 from NYC

Post Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:00 pm

im not sure why the ipad is on the list with the other 2, so im gonna ignore it.

as for an akai live vs a deluge...to me, its not even close. for what you sate you want...the deluge is the clear winner. it sounds like you want an instrument you can make full tracks on. the akai isnt an instrument at all, its more a workstation/portable daw...which you already kinda have with your laptop.

the deluge is a very powerful stand alone instrument on which you can create entire tracks. it will also fit nicely into whatever gear you have at home, easily taking a back up position as just another synth/sampler, or if you prefer, being the brain of your entire studio sequencing and controlling all your other gear (including soft synths in your daw).

all for less $$ than the akai.

my only caveats are:

1. pads are not velocity sensitive, so plan to work around that (mild) limitation.

2. some people balk at the lack of a detailed display. let me just say...the deluge has 2 displays, the regular little info screen and the entire pad section. it does not need any other displays, everything you need is contained within those two, its an instrument/sequencer, not a daw...the display in regular use cases is perfectly capable. if you find yourself looking at the display a lot using the deluge...well youre not really using it as intended.
ImageImageImage

antic604
KVRAF
3366 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:31 pm

chaosWyrM wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:00 pm
im not sure why the ipad is on the list with the other 2, so im gonna ignore it.
Why wouldn't it be? It's obviously portable, stand-alone, doesn't require keyboard and mouse, imposes certain - creatively stimulating - limitations to what it can do (compared to laptop / desktop).
chaosWyrM wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:00 pm
as for an akai live vs a deluge...to me, its not even close. for what you sate you want...the deluge is the clear winner. it sounds like you want an instrument you can make full tracks on. the akai isnt an instrument at all, its more a workstation/portable daw...which you already kinda have with your laptop.
Can you elaborate on that? AFAIK MPC Live has 3 synths, sampled instruments and obviously audio/sample playback (drums, one shots, etc.). One can create a rough song draft sort of like session view in Live, by sequencing clips. Lastly, unlike Deluge, the project can be exported to MPC Software (I believe Live too?) running on a computer for further refinement.

Perhaps I'm missing some important nuance? :?
Bitwig 3.1 // Reason 11.1 // Studio One 4.6 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604
other stuff - Psytrance in Bitwig Studio tutorial

Aloysius
KVRAF
25743 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Post Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:39 pm

iPad Poo

On-the-toilet music making device
Hi-de-Hi!

Forgotten
KVRAF
7611 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:56 pm

Aloysius wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:39 pm
iPad Poo

On-the-toilet music making device
Human Cent-iPad?

Meffy
Skunk Mod
20597 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Post Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:24 pm

You might know this already, but just in case: stick with iOS for mobile music-making. I prefer Android for my phones, but the OS isn't written for real-time input. Latency with Caustic has always been awful for me even with new, high-end Samsung devices and the latest Android. [eta: This is when playing on-screen keys with fingers. Playback of piano roll notes is flawless.]

With an elderly 1st-gen iPad Air I've experienced lag running Moog Model 15 with both a Bluetooth keyboard (CME) and Bluetooth speaker (Jawbone Big Jambox), but one or the other is fine. I suspect a newer iPad would have no trouble with both at once but haven't got one so I can't try.

toine6
KVRian
1302 posts since 29 Mar, 2002 from Salt Lake City, Utah - U.S.A.

Post Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:38 pm

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:42 am
That and the annoying extra security checks you get at the airport. People understand an iPad, they generally do not understand a device that looks a lot like a bomb out of a bad action movie.
I have to explain my Launchpad and soundcard every time. It's well annoying.

Could be worse though:

[/quote]

Airport Security - So you're saying you're a musician and this is some kind of instrument?

Dude in Photo - Ya, mate. It's like me bloody axe. I am all the rage. Sick beats when I'm clubbing. I am the terror on the dance floor. I AM the f**king BOMB!

V0RT3X
KVRAF
7942 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Alesia

Post Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:41 pm

been thinking about one of these, they sure do look like a lot of fun. They are crazy pricy though...

https://teenage.engineering/products/op-1

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
3691 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:55 am

They always look like toys to me, and can only do a fraction of what an iPad mini can do... Though a touch screen has some limitations in terms of physical feedback, I doubt that those pots are better... Are the keys at least velocity sensitive?

JamminFool
KVRian
1133 posts since 16 Apr, 2004

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:57 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:55 am
Are the keys at least velocity sensitive?
no. but the OP-1 responds to velocity if an external keyboard is used.

abi
KVRian
667 posts since 11 May, 2004 from cologne,germany

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:06 am

i would go for a ipad. cubasis and some synths and youre ready to go

Cinebient
KVRAF
4392 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:26 am

iPad all the way. Most flexible device where also more and more pro apps and plug-ins come for 1/10 the price. It is also just the best hand on device (beside dedicated hardware of course). I also would like replacing everything right now with an iPad if there would be some more sample libraries and some of my favorite FX plug-ins.
But i guess it is just a matter of time. My old macbook shows its age and the new ones seems not great for audio anymore.
Surface is really crap for multi-touch compared to iPads....at least for me.
Beside large realistic orchestral works you can do everything and more with an iPad these days on a pro level if you want. But i would wait to see if there will be a new generation in March and buy it or go for the cheaper last generation then.

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
13568 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:31 am

For those mentioning an iPad show me the best track you’ve heard or made on one, it doesn’t have to be yours. I’m yet to hear anything even average coming from one.

That’s not to say the synths and FX aren’t great; they are, but a full track I’m yet to hear. BTW I don’t consider 1 drum kit, 1 lead and 1 bass a track.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”