Recording modulation as automation

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trying to record parameter modulation (E.g. an LFO on the Gain of the Tool device) in an automation lane but Bitwig is only recording actual manual knob turns and ignoring the modulation. I can certainly see why one would NOT want to have the modulation recorded, but does anyone have a clever workaround for this?

Thanks!!

PARTSOF4 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:35 amI can certainly see why one would NOT want to have the modulation recorded, but does anyone have a clever workaround for this?
Use the LFO (or any other modulation source) to modulate DC Offset and record audio coming out of it. You can do it - record - to a completely separate audio track, by simply setting its input to the output of the DC Offset, but also make sure DC Offset doesn't interfere with other sound sources on your original track, by for example putting it into Instrument Layer and muting the DC Offset layer.

Then tap into that audio track with Audio Rate modulator and use it to modulate something else.

In other words - you take modulation, convert it into audio, record the audio, then use the audio to generate modulation from it. Simple ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

If the above sounds confusing let me know - I'll record a video explaining it better in the evening :)
Music tech enthusiast

I’d like a way to convert modulation to automation

pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:35 pm I’d like a way to convert modulation to automation
We all would, but the above workaround works in the meantime.
Music tech enthusiast

You can use the MIDI CC device. Modulate one of the CC knobs (e.g. by using a LFO modulator). Now setup a second track and set its note input to the track which contains the MIDI CC device. Record notes (including MIDI data) to the second track. Now you have the (modulated) MIDI data recorded as automation and can copy it to another automation lane.

u-u-u wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:48 pm You can use the MIDI CC device. Modulate one of the CC knobs (e.g. by using a LFO modulator). Now setup a second track and set its note input to the track which contains the MIDI CC device. Record notes (including MIDI data) to the second track. Now you have the MIDI data recorded as automation and can copy it to another automation lane.
THAT's even better! :clap: :tu:

EDIT: I just wonder about the resolution - isn't MIDI CC only 0-127? It probably is irrelevant in majority of cases, but definitely worth considering for specific situations, unless obviously LFOs are also 0-127 which I never tested? Interesting topic :)
Music tech enthusiast

BTW, you can use the same principle to record some crazy note (and even micro-pitch) data:
Use one track and somehow generate weird note patterns on it (using randomization, arpeggiators, Replacer device, modulators, micro-pitch device, note pitch-shift etc.). Then use a second track to record the notes from the first track to a note clip. Now you can manually edit the recorded notes (or choose only the bits you like from long randomly generated note patterns).

antic604 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:50 pm
u-u-u wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:48 pm You can use the MIDI CC device. Modulate one of the CC knobs (e.g. by using a LFO modulator). Now setup a second track and set its note input to the track which contains the MIDI CC device. Record notes (including MIDI data) to the second track. Now you have the MIDI data recorded as automation and can copy it to another automation lane.
[...]
EDIT: I just wonder about the resolution - isn't MIDI CC only 0-127? It probably is irrelevant in majority of cases, but definitely worth considering for specific situations, unless obviously LFOs are also 0-127 which I never tested? Interesting topic :)
Yes, probably it's only 0-127 (although I don't know that for sure). And probably the time resolution is not sampling rate I guess. But for slow modulations (which is also desirable if you want to edit it manually after recording it) it works well I think.

antic604 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:56 pm If the above sounds confusing let me know - I'll record a video explaining it better in the evening :)
Thank you, I had read and thought about doing something like this but, unless I am mistaken, I do not think you can monitor the real time modulation on the target before recording it?

u-u-u wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:48 pm You can use the MIDI CC device. Modulate one of the CC knobs (e.g. by using a LFO modulator). Now setup a second track and set its note input to the track which contains the MIDI CC device. Record notes (including MIDI data) to the second track. Now you have the (modulated) MIDI data recorded as automation and can copy it to another automation lane.
I was also trying to do it this way but was not able to figure out how to route the received MIDI modulation (on target track) in a way that allow monitoring the modulation [on an incoming audio signal] in real-time before recording. I am going to try again now, it seems like it would be possible to route the incoming MIDI CC to a knob on target but maybe it is a limitation?

u-u-u wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:48 pm You can use the MIDI CC device. Modulate one of the CC knobs (e.g. by using a LFO modulator). Now setup a second track and set its note input to the track which contains the MIDI CC device. Record notes (including MIDI data) to the second track. Now you have the (modulated) MIDI data recorded as automation and can copy it to another automation lane.
I wonder if setting up a virtual MIDI bus out from the track with MIDI CC on it and then routing that to the target track will work. From what I can tell the Note Receiver device filters only the note data making it impossible to route the CC to a knob real time.

PARTSOF4 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:00 am
I wonder if setting up a virtual MIDI bus out from the track with MIDI CC on it and then routing that to the target track will work. From what I can tell the Note Receiver device filters only the note data making it impossible to route the CC to a knob real time.
EDIT I am dumb, it totally receives the CC messages, this should work!

Yes this absolutely works!

PARTSOF4 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:45 am
antic604 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:56 pm If the above sounds confusing let me know - I'll record a video explaining it better in the evening :)
Thank you, I had read and thought about doing something like this but, unless I am mistaken, I do not think you can monitor the real time modulation on the target before recording it?
Sure you can. You can use LFO (or whatever modulation source) to modulate the target AND at the same time to modulate DC Offset, but - as I said - it needs to be nested in a muted lane of FX Layer (that also has another empty lane to pass original sound through), so that its output doesnt mix with the source audio itself.
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Bitwig”