Monitors for a small semi-treated room (Dynaudio BM5 mkIII or Dynaudio LYD7? EDIT: bought Dynaudio Bm5 MkIII)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If your room is semi treated, 7" is likely to be fine. It won't be perfect, but more than good enough to get on with. I would always combine that with some A/B'ing with commercial mixes and a good set of headphones anyway.

Go for the bigger size for electronic music since the punch of the kick will probably feel lacking with smaller sizes. Adding a subwoofer also helps... cause you’ll be placing the low freqs in a different place exciting some of the room resonances less or counteracting some others as excited from the monitors, just.. you really have to spend a fair amount of time placing them all incl your sweet spot. A ~50 bucks measurement mic also helps

3ee wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:34 am Go for the bigger size for electronic music since the punch of the kick will probably feel lacking with smaller sizes. Adding a subwoofer also helps...
That’s a good point. The feeling of the lows is really important for the style.

However, you may also consider going with the 5” woofers AND a subwoofer. In a small room you’d get the focus and punch from the 5” plus the low end support and feel from the subwoofer, but (here’s the key) only when you need it.

I went with the 6.5” option to “split the difference,” but as I said above I really liked the 5” too. I’m almost tempted to exchange for the Shape 50s. They would need the support of a sub (which I already have) in some cases. I have not felt the need to use my sub with the Shape 65s.

-u
Last edited by Unfocused on Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I guess one person can make a difference, but most of the time they probably shouldn't." -M. Simpson

recursive one wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:29 am I think I can, but I never did. Though it seems I managed to find a decent shop with a show room and a reasonable return policy in my area.
Awesome, that's great news. :party:

Anyone tried this?

https://subpac.com/

Thanks everyone!

So now my primary choice is between Dynaudio BM5 mkIII and Dynaudio LYD 7. Hope I'll have the chance to audition them both.

I'm not quite sure about the sub, I read quite a few advices against subs in small rooms, which seem reasonable to me. Also I'm living with my family who for some odd reasons tend to sleep when I do mixing, and also I live in a multi-storey building so I'm not sure my neighbours would like my sub much.

I try to control the sub area in headphones and always compare my stuff to references. When I say I want to hear bass in the montors I rather mean like 50-300 Hz.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

IMO, having a sub is mandatory.. I mean, after I got one I always wondered how I could work without one. I think a 5 inch woofer may still be too small even if you have a sub for electronic music cause you need to ‘feel’ the punch better (sorry but that sub-pack thing seems gimmicky rather than a ‘serious’ solution, have no idea how well they would work tho) . Somewhere between 6-8” may be enough, also a front-ported (or closed box if used with a sub) will probably be better. The Focal Shape seems interesting with it’s passive ‘radiator’ design instead of a bass port.

I just mean the sub won't do much in my room I'm afraid, rather overload the room with reflections I wouldn't be able to trap.

I did some calculations with this tool
http://www.acousticmodelling.com/porous.php

It apepars rockwool doesn't really trap much below roughly 50 HZ and my small room will cause a lot of reflections and standing waves. So I'm not sure if I don't just waste my money by getting a sub.

3ee wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:20 pm even if you have a sub for electronic music cause you need to ‘feel’ the punch better (sorry but that sub-pack thing seems gimmicky rather than a ‘serious’ solution, have no idea how well they would work tho)
Never tried it and heard about it recently, it's not even that new, you said you need to feel the punch, this thing is advertised as exactly that, if it works as advertised, it will not interfere with your room and will punch you for real, I'm gonna keep open mind about it and investigate more, if it works it will solve big problem and improve our mixes.

Found an 2014 thread on GS for anyone interested

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... ubpac.html

*work as advertised based on few years of non endorsed experiences, intrigued
Last edited by Passing Bye on Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

recursive one wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:27 pm I just mean the sub won't do much in my room I'm afraid, rather overload the room with reflections I wouldn't be able to trap.

I did some calculations with this tool
http://www.acousticmodelling.com/porous.php

It apepars rockwool doesn't really trap much below roughly 50 HZ and my small room will cause a lot of reflections and standing waves. So I'm not sure if I don't just waste my money by getting a sub.
Don't get lost in the details, a sub will help if placed accordingly for your sweet-spot (and will probably ruin the sound in other places but that's not important here) it should act like an 'active' bass trap more or less... anyway, try a bit of air gap when placing the acoustic treatment elements, play with that calculator to see the graph change... also very important, you need to know the density (they vary allot depending on the application) of the rockwool in order to deduce the air flow number for the graph to display correctly.

Well then... you either need to consider moving into a bigger room in the future or invest on the 'best' headphones you can afford atm since few do bass punch well 'enough' it seems ... maybe some Audeze LCD-X or Focal Clear but they can be expensive! :phones:

3ee wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:01 pm you either need to consider moving into a bigger room in the future
This doesn't look any realistic, at least in foreseeable future :)

Thanks for you inpuit, I'll do more research on subs but for now I think I'll go for 7 inch speakers.

Good thing about typical "kbbb" psytrance is that the classic machine-gun bass is not actually very subby, it's more in the lower midrange. It's typcially hipassed around 30-40 Hz and the sub typically sits in the kick for which I use the best samples I can find.

Any new updates?

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:55 pm Any new updates?
Going to audition the Dynaudios (BM5 mkIII, LYD5 and LYD7), hope this weekend.

recursive one wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:26 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:55 pm Any new updates?
Going to audition the Dynaudios (BM5 mkIII, LYD5 and LYD7), hope this weekend.
Cool, that's some kind of Dynaudio distributor only kind of thing or you decided to pick between just those?

No, they have different brands, including Adam and Neumann.

I'm going to talk to them, audition various stuff untill they banish me from the showroom, and then maybe I decide something :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”