New Linux builds, updated to rev. 9775

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

unius wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:28 pm
abique wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:19 pm Why is it faster in 32 bits? Because of smaller pointer size?
I think so. But there may also be something extra. In any case, on my 6-core Core-i7 at a good load, it's even clearly audible :)

IMHO 32 bits is the most optimal size of a machine word. It is a multiple of a byte, which is convenient. Less is bad, more is not optimal (despite all sorts of tricks). In reality, IMHO has very few tasks where a larger machine word is really needed.
Well you're limited to less than 4GB of addresses. And given your CPU I don't understand why wasting time doing that given all the troubles. I'm sure you should be fine with 64 bits. Did you properly tune your machine?

abique wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:16 pm Well you're limited to less than 4GB of addresses. And given your CPU I don't understand why wasting time doing that given all the troubles. I'm sure you should be fine with 64 bits. Did you properly tune your machine?
4GB per process, 64GB total
I haven't had any problems with my 16GB RAM on 32-bit system :)

Hive and Repro are crashing Ardour from git when launching the GUI. Reverting back to 8676 stops the crashing.

skottish wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:36 pm Hive and Repro are crashing Ardour from git when launching the GUI. Reverting back to 8676 stops the crashing.
What about stable ardour?

Zebra 2, Hive (build 9724, VST2) are crashing my "stable ardour" (5.12). The following is the error message when launching from the console (Linux Mint 19.3, 64 bit):
[...]
run dialog
setNumInputs ( 0 );
setNumOutputs ( 2 );
allocateArrangement ( &plugInput, 2 );
allocateArrangement ( &plugOutput, 2 );
Segmentation Fault (core dump created)

Instead they seem to load/play correctly in Carla (VST Host)
Thanks for the support

AZZIN wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:41 pm Zebra 2, Hive (build 9724, VST2) are crashing my "stable ardour" (5.12). The following is the error message when launching from the console (Linux Mint 19.3, 64 bit):
[...]
run dialog
setNumInputs ( 0 );
setNumOutputs ( 2 );
allocateArrangement ( &plugInput, 2 );
allocateArrangement ( &plugOutput, 2 );
Segmentation Fault (core dump created)

Instead they seem to load/play correctly in Carla (VST Host)
Thanks for the support
Unfortunately I get the exact same error with all the new builds.
In Ardour + Mixbus 32C (which happens to be my main DAW).
However the plugins behave perfectly in Qtractor and Carla.
So I don't know why Ardour and the Ardour based Mixbus have issues with them.

abique wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:52 am
skottish wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:36 pm Hive and Repro are crashing Ardour from git when launching the GUI. Reverting back to 8676 stops the crashing.
What about stable ardour?
Repro-1 launched fine in Ardour 5.12, but there's a bug in Ardour that when saving presets in u-he stuff that the everything crashes. It's a know bug that was briefly fixed in Ardour 5.12, then reverted back in the same tree. Ardour 6 (git) doesn't have that issue.

See next post.
Last edited by skottish on Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sorry to bump, but I need Alex to see this.

Alex,

I posted what I did before pre-coffee and did something silly: I forgot to install the newer plugin. So, to answer your question, the newer plugins crash Ardour 5.12 as well. My apologies for the crappy bug report.

Crashes here on Fedora 31, too.

Ardour projects that are using any of the u-he plugins crash while opening the project.
In a clean project I can load the u-he plugins but the session will crash when I launch the GUI.

I'm back to 82xx builds.

I'm on Fedora 31 too.
I'll try Ardour later today or tomorrow and see what level of logging I can get.
Right now though, with BWS, everything seems aokay.

kapsap wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:53 pm Ardour projects that are using any of the u-he plugins crash while opening the project.
In a clean project I can load the u-he plugins but the session will crash when I launch the GUI.
In Mixbus 32C it actually behaves a bit differently for me.
I can load projects with u-he plugins, and even play them as long as I don't open the GUI. Opening the GUI causes instant crash.

This is on Pop!_OS 19.10 (Ubuntu based).

Well,
being so happy you updated Linux versions, I completed my U-He plugin collection with all effects.
So I now own all of your products. Not all the soundsets, you may argue... Well, waiting for Uhbik and Filterscape update... I've even bought Twangstrom that is a kind of reverb I never use... well, until now... I'll found a way, I'm sure... :-D
I'm using UbuntuStudio 19.10 and Bitwig 3.1.2 for normal operations, but I own Mixbus32C that I use for final remix.
Well.. Actually I can insert U-He plugins in Mixbus, but as soon as I try to open the GUI, like others have said, it crashes miserably. I can add Filterscape and Triplecheese but not any upgraded one. In Ardour 5.12 I can't even add the new plugins that it crashes, probably because the GUI is open automatically.

No problems in Bitwig.

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Fabrizio

Just to ask, is it foreseen also a Linux version of the Uhbik-2.0 alfa release?
And is Filterscape going to be revamped with a Uhbik-2 like interface?

Fabrizio

PS. Slurp! :-P

fsciarra62 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:35 pm Just to ask, is it foreseen also a Linux version of the Uhbik-2.0 alfa release?
And is Filterscape going to be revamped with a Uhbik-2 like interface?
Yes, an Uhbik alpha or beta for Linux will happen, but I can't say when. We might need to fix some general issues first, so it's possible that it has to wait until the next public beta for Mac and Win. I am pretty sure at this point it will be good enough for a Linux version.

All the Catalina notarization stuff has messed with our planning quite a bit in the last few months. So I don't even know what's planned for Filterscape, or when.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

So, is anybody at u-he looking into the crash issues?

Return to “u-he Linux support”