Why you left REAPER?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
dtrq
KVRist
47 posts since 28 Nov, 2014

Post Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:50 am

Jafo wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:42 pm
UI, as with every DAW save Tracktion. I just can't wrap my brain around why every track appears twice: horizontally at the top, and vertically at the bottom. Far better to use a rational DAW, one that doesn't cotton to this madness and waste of screen space.
Rational DAW == a DAW without a mixer? :lol:

jonljacobi
KVRian
1349 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Re: Why you left REAPER?

Post Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:07 pm

There's no DAW on the market that would benefit more from a complete interface makeover (by anyone who wasn't involved in the previous efforts). I've installed it five times at least, and uninstalled it within weeks each time. Same deal each time, feature overload, can't get into the look. Even if you theme it, you're still stuck with those dialogs. Seems fantastically powerful and stable, but it pretty much loses me at hello.

Jace-BeOS
KVRAF
5648 posts since 7 Jan, 2005 from Corporate States of America

Post Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:15 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:07 pm
There's no DAW on the market that would benefit more from a complete interface makeover (by anyone who wasn't involved in the previous efforts). I've installed it five times at least, and uninstalled it within weeks each time. Same deal each time, feature overload, can't get into the look. Even if you theme it, you're still stuck with those dialogs. Seems fantastically powerful and stable, but it pretty much loses me at hello.
Same here.

It will never change. It’s too much of a precious feature to the current users and developer the way it is.

Then again, Blender FINALLY changed object selection to be done with the PRIMARY mouse button, so stranger things HAVE happened! :hihi:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

kae
KVRist
152 posts since 16 Dec, 2006

Post Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:06 pm

dtrq wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:50 am
Jafo wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:42 pm
UI, as with every DAW save Tracktion. I just can't wrap my brain around why every track appears twice: horizontally at the top, and vertically at the bottom. Far better to use a rational DAW, one that doesn't cotton to this madness and waste of screen space.
Rational DAW == a DAW without a mixer? :lol:
Pro Tools.. Most is visible/accessible (if you want) from the track without the need to locate the same channel vertically at the bottom or having to change track to see the "inspector". Why waste 1/3 of valuable vertical screen space?
And open the full mixer view when you want to.. mix.

Burillo
KVRAF
3757 posts since 15 Nov, 2006 from Hell

Post Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:25 pm

I left REAPER because it was too customizable, was too cheap and had too many useful features.
From Russia with love
Our online jams (if you speak Russian - you're welcome to join!)

Psuper
KVRist
384 posts since 3 May, 2018

Post Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:06 pm

Burillo wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:25 pm
I left REAPER because it was too customizable, was too cheap and had too many useful features.
One never, ever escapes the Reaper...
Cubase has won the Prize! And Reason is is invited to the party again (once midi-thru Rack is in)! :party:
...I now need nothing but more hours in a day.

anomandaris1
KVRist
387 posts since 26 Nov, 2009

Post Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:11 pm

MPE editing is terrible. Reaper is a nice program for the money, but once you need something specific like this, it is often times clunky workaround.

howtobecalm79
KVRer
22 posts since 13 Jan, 2020

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:47 am

its a headache gave up

QBICS
KVRer
7 posts since 25 Dec, 2019

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:18 am

Psuper wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:06 pm
Burillo wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:25 pm
One never, ever escapes the Reaper...
:)

dtrq
KVRist
47 posts since 28 Nov, 2014

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:52 pm

kae wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:06 pm
Pro Tools.. Most is visible/accessible (if you want) from the track without the need to locate the same channel vertically at the bottom or having to change track to see the "inspector". Why waste 1/3 of valuable vertical screen space?
Nothing prevents you from having this workflow in Reaper.

kae
KVRist
152 posts since 16 Dec, 2006

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:32 pm

dtrq wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:52 pm
kae wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:06 pm
Nothing prevents you from having this workflow in Reaper.
Is that by using the 3rd party script I read about in here or something? I remember doing a search for it once, since Reaper is so flexible, but couldn't find a solution for it then.

jonljacobi
KVRian
1349 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:43 pm

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:15 pm
jonljacobi wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:07 pm
Same here.

It will never change. It’s too much of a precious feature to the current users and developer the way it is.

Then again, Blender FINALLY changed object selection to be done with the PRIMARY mouse button, so stranger things HAVE happened! :hihi:
You never know! I honestly wish they would do something about it. For everyone's sake. I think all the other DAW vendors are quite happy that they haven't.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”