Studio One future?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
tooneba
KVRian
1313 posts since 6 Nov, 2012

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:27 pm

4damind wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:07 pm
Studio One is from the former Steinberg employees Wolfgang Kundrus and Matthias Juwan. Therefore I think the idea behind Studio One was to create a better Cubase.
Kundrus has left Presonus and so the leading head is gone. On the other side, Cubase has further developed over the last 10 years and the gap has become wider...

I think that Studio One will remain a niche product. Yes, there are some well-known users like ATB but S1 is not as popular as Ableton, Cubase or Logic. Probably there are even more Bitwig users than S1 users by now.
I think S1 is one of the most popular DAW across the genres.
https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-bes ... pc-and-mac I'm undertanding Musicradar isn't specifically for EDM.

It may not be significantly popular in specific genre like other DAWs are, but the poll could imply something. It is popular than ableton, cubase and Logic, and much more Bitwig.

burnt circuit
KVRist
105 posts since 15 Jan, 2020

Re: Studio One future?

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:34 am

Studio One future?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrriKcwvlY

I Gotta Wear Shades.
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

User avatar
4damind
KVRAF
4968 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Re: Studio One future?

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:35 am

tooneba wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:27 pm
I think S1 is one of the most popular DAW across the genres.
https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-bes ... pc-and-mac I'm undertanding Musicradar isn't specifically for EDM.

It may not be significantly popular in specific genre like other DAWs are, but the poll could imply something. It is popular than ableton, cubase and Logic, and much more Bitwig.
On Music Radar, users voted for the best DAW and it is FL Studio. Is FL Studio really the best or even most used DAW?

jonljacobi
KVRian
1364 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Re: Studio One future?

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:41 am

I believe on Google trends (If you believe it’s relevant or indicative), the most discussed by far is FLS, then Live, then all the others at distinctly lower level. This does not make it the best, but it can be used by anyone, including those without musical training.

tooneba
KVRian
1313 posts since 6 Nov, 2012

Re: Studio One future?

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:43 pm

4damind wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:35 am
tooneba wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:27 pm
I think S1 is one of the most popular DAW across the genres.
https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-bes ... pc-and-mac I'm undertanding Musicradar isn't specifically for EDM.

It may not be significantly popular in specific genre like other DAWs are, but the poll could imply something. It is popular than ableton, cubase and Logic, and much more Bitwig.
On Music Radar, users voted for the best DAW and it is FL Studio. Is FL Studio really the best or even most used DAW?
You know, Best in this context means highest number of users who are using the software and who think its best for them. It literally means popularity among their readers. *We are understanding there are few readers who can evaluate all softwares equally.

User avatar
4damind
KVRAF
4968 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Re: Studio One future?

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:24 pm

tooneba wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:43 pm
4damind wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:35 am
tooneba wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:27 pm
I think S1 is one of the most popular DAW across the genres.
https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-bes ... pc-and-mac I'm undertanding Musicradar isn't specifically for EDM.

It may not be significantly popular in specific genre like other DAWs are, but the poll could imply something. It is popular than ableton, cubase and Logic, and much more Bitwig.
On Music Radar, users voted for the best DAW and it is FL Studio. Is FL Studio really the best or even most used DAW?
You know, Best in this context means highest number of users who are using the software and who think its best for them. It literally means popularity among their readers. *We are understanding there are few readers who can evaluate all softwares equally.
I just want to say that I always see these reviews with a pinch of salt. On Gearslutz there were also polls where Ableton Life was the leading DAW, closely followed by Cubase and Logic (Studio One or Bitwig didn't matter there).

THE INTRANCER
KVRian
1353 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Re: Studio One future?

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:31 pm

Studio One's future is bright... it's orange...
THE INTRANCER-Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist - Orchestral Trance - Ambient - Film Scores | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16 | Producing Music For 25+Years & Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect

jonljacobi
KVRian
1364 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Re: Studio One future?

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:38 pm

Best for you is all that matters. As I said, FLS is so popular because it can be used without musical experience and still produce a joyful noise. Live to an extent as well, plus it's a performance DAW. If you're talking about studios, now you're in Pro Tools territory along with Logic, Cubase, Reaper, Studio One, etc. Home studios and artists? All of those and everything else.

We're blessed with a wide variety of tools to complain about... Studio One included. I used it for quite a while, but switched to something simpler.

tooneba
KVRian
1313 posts since 6 Nov, 2012

Re: Studio One future?

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:14 pm

4damind wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:24 pm
tooneba wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:43 pm
4damind wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:35 am
tooneba wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:27 pm
I think S1 is one of the most popular DAW across the genres.
https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-bes ... pc-and-mac I'm undertanding Musicradar isn't specifically for EDM.

It may not be significantly popular in specific genre like other DAWs are, but the poll could imply something. It is popular than ableton, cubase and Logic, and much more Bitwig.
On Music Radar, users voted for the best DAW and it is FL Studio. Is FL Studio really the best or even most used DAW?
You know, Best in this context means highest number of users who are using the software and who think its best for them. It literally means popularity among their readers. *We are understanding there are few readers who can evaluate all softwares equally.
I just want to say that I always see these reviews with a pinch of salt. On Gearslutz there were also polls where Ableton Life was the leading DAW, closely followed by Cubase and Logic (Studio One or Bitwig didn't matter there).
That’s why I was talking about readers preference in my posts. Readers preference are not equally spreading in each sites. For example, Gearslutz have significantly large followers of hardware users, Pro tools users, Mac users, logic users, etc comparing to average users variation. I’m not saying it’s not useful for the observation, it is useful when you look into it with these background.

daw.one
KVRist
99 posts since 16 Nov, 2016

Re: Studio One future?

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:22 am

Trancit wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:19 pm
I quite like Studio One but I have to admit that a few things aren´t implemented the way I would like...
Fully agree on all your points. :clap:
I think the current feature design is one of the weakest points in Studio One from a user perspective. It seems like PreSonus software is trying to create a product for a very broad audience by introducing all kind of trending features but at the same time they don't really seem to understand why people ask for certain features let alone make those features really shine.

User avatar
Doc Brown
KVRist
455 posts since 13 May, 2012 from Minnesota

Re: Studio One future?

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:34 am

daw.one wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:22 am
Trancit wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:19 pm
I quite like Studio One but I have to admit that a few things aren´t implemented the way I would like...
Fully agree on all your points. :clap:
I think the current feature design is one of the weakest points in Studio One from a user perspective. It seems like PreSonus software is trying to create a product for a very broad audience by introducing all kind of trending features but at the same time they don't really seem to understand why people ask for certain features let alone make those features really shine.

Not questioning your views but what features are they ignoring?

TheKid
KVRian
790 posts since 13 Aug, 2012 from it's all about location!

Re: Studio One future?

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:13 am

(Most of the time) Happy Studio One user here. They ignored the Komplete Kontrol integration for SO god damn long. I was really pissed about that.

There are some really unique features like the Mix FX engine. But why the hell can't the crosstalk feature be configured for each channel. When using an amp sim on a clean guitar track i want the processed "amped" signal to get spread by crosstalk not the clean guitar. Spreading the clean guitar makes no sense at all.

S1 could have a great future if developments wasn't focussed on trendy but useful stuff. The Atom drum controller? Why should I buy that if there is Maschine and the Akai MPC series which offers so much more? The resources could have been more useful on other topics. Just like the stock plugins. Why use resources to improve the Ampire guitar amp sim when the alternatives are so plentyful and way better sounding? Waste of coding power.

THE INTRANCER
KVRian
1353 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Re: Studio One future?

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:03 am

Presonus adheres to the development of Studio One by that of the Agile software principals..with those 12 points being...

Customer satisfaction by early and continuous delivery of valuable software.
Welcome changing requirements, even in late development.
Deliver working software frequently (weeks rather than months)
Close, daily cooperation between business people and developers
Projects are built around motivated individuals, who should be trusted
Face-to-face conversation is the best form of communication (co-location)
Working software is the primary measure of progress
Sustainable development, able to maintain a constant pace
Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design
Simplicity—the art of maximizing the amount of work not done—is essential
Best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams
Regularly, the team reflects on how to become more effective, and adjusts accordingly

Iterative, incremental and evolutionary...


Most agile development methods break product development work into small increments that minimize the amount of up-front planning and design. Iterations, or sprints, are short time frames (timeboxes) that typically last from one to four weeks. Each iteration involves a cross-functional team working in all functions: planning, analysis, design, coding, unit testing, and acceptance testing. At the end of the iteration a working product is demonstrated to stakeholders. This minimizes overall risk and allows the product to adapt to changes quickly.[23] An iteration might not add enough functionality to warrant a market release, but the goal is to have an available release (with minimal bugs) at the end of each iteration.[24] Multiple iterations might be required to release a product or new features. Working software is the primary measure of progress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_sof ... evelopment
THE INTRANCER-Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist - Orchestral Trance - Ambient - Film Scores | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16 | Producing Music For 25+Years & Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect

daw.one
KVRist
99 posts since 16 Nov, 2016

Re: Studio One future?

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:47 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:34 am
daw.one wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:22 am
Trancit wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:19 pm
I quite like Studio One but I have to admit that a few things aren´t implemented the way I would like...
Fully agree on all your points. :clap:
I think the current feature design is one of the weakest points in Studio One from a user perspective. It seems like PreSonus software is trying to create a product for a very broad audience by introducing all kind of trending features but at the same time they don't really seem to understand why people ask for certain features let alone make those features really shine.

Not questioning your views but what features are they ignoring?
I'm not talking about ignoring features.
It's about those features that are implemented but are missing some detail. Trancit already summed up a few of them like single macro knob automation envelope for inserts (like multi instruments), transfer of note timing to delay on pattern conversion. But you can also think about (from the top of my head): Note I/O configuration in the drum editor, modify note velocity on input and trigger in patterns, link note and part automation, removed pitchnames for melodic editor, monophonic playback in Sample One for time stretched content that isn't triggered simultaneously, a whole series of issues being introduced by LLM going from timing issues with external MIDI to unexpected automation playback, etc.

Trancit
KVRAF
2570 posts since 27 Jul, 2004

Re: Studio One future?

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:02 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:34 am
daw.one wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:22 am
Trancit wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:19 pm
I quite like Studio One but I have to admit that a few things aren´t implemented the way I would like...
Fully agree on all your points. :clap:
I think the current feature design is one of the weakest points in Studio One from a user perspective. It seems like PreSonus software is trying to create a product for a very broad audience by introducing all kind of trending features but at the same time they don't really seem to understand why people ask for certain features let alone make those features really shine.

Not questioning your views but what features are they ignoring?
Who said something about ignoring??? EDIT: daw.one was faster... :D

I think daw.one made a very good point here... :
...It seems like PreSonus software is trying to create a product for a very broad audience by introducing all kind of trending features...
.
The problem is the same like women stating they would be better in "multitasking" than men...
The developement in S1 and women´s so called "multitasking" seem to me more trying to do everything at the same time but doing nothing the right way...

I don´t know if this is perhaps nothing else than markting strategy to never release a feature "ready to use" or complete... to make people constantly upgrading...
To release an interesting feature with some weaknesses to update this feature a little bit more in the next major release (but not too much) and a bit more next time etc...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”