I've got a song in D (Dorian) - it has a Major focus, how do I convert it to a minor feel ?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
MasterTuner
KVRist
242 posts since 30 May, 2018

Post Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:10 am

I made a song in D Dorian. Its mostly Major focused.
I'd like to remix it into a Tech House genre, and I think I'm going for a more minor chord feel.

Is there a good resource online that might help me do this?
Is it just a matter of looking at a parallel minor ?
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

BertKoor
KVRAF
11483 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Re: I've got a song in D (Dorian) - it has a Major focus, how do I convert it to a minor feel ?

Post Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:29 am

Change all F# notes to F, andx it should be minor. Job done :shrug:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

Forgotten
KVRAF
8733 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: I've got a song in D (Dorian) - it has a Major focus, how do I convert it to a minor feel ?

Post Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:56 am

The i, ii, v diatonic chords in D Dorian are minor. What do you mean by “more minor chord feel”?

kvotchin
KVRist
321 posts since 9 Aug, 2018

Post Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:09 pm

Um, flatten yer six?

Note: Not really “more minor”, just more “classically minor”.
windows 10, reaper, ableton, i7, 16gb, babyface pro

someone called simon
KVRian
530 posts since 24 Jul, 2008 from a small city in a small country in the antipodes

Post Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:21 pm

Chords common in D dorian would be Dm F G Am C. If your spending a lot of time with the C, F and G chords that'll likely give it or more major feel. If you spend most time with Dm and Am, with a few of the other chords now and then, that should make a more minor feel.

But what do you mean by a song? Is it a melody over a bunch of chords? If that's the case the melody might fit over different chords, or might not. You'd have to experiment. A melody that fits over a C will probably fit over an Am for example.

Also, you'd want your home note to feel like it should be a D or at least the chord to be a Dm. If it feels like its G or C or something, you're probably not using D dorian at all.

claudedefaren
KVRist
114 posts since 10 Mar, 2013

Post Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:18 pm

Are you sure it's dorian, and not just the key of D major ionian?

If it's dorian, you're mostly in minor key already.

If your original song is in D major and you want to give it a minor feel, just set it in B minor (the relative minor of D major) and keep the melody exactly the same.

Forgotten
KVRAF

Post Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:16 am

Maybe what you need to do is analyze all of the voices and determine if you’re actually Major or Dorian, and figure out what you really mean by “minor”.

Do the chords really indicate Dorian (and appropriate substitutions)? Have you analyzed all of the voices and determined what you’re really looking at?

Might be worth starting from basics and also determining what you’re aiming to achieve?

trewq
KVRist
341 posts since 24 Nov, 2008

Post Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:30 pm

You can do it with a chord track type program and just replace the whole chord harmony with an extended D minor chord of the C major scale. That would at least change those notes that make it sound major and leave the rest, if you've chosen to use a minimal change transformation . Or you can transpose notes up or down before the transformation, or rearrange the note pitches before or after each time you click a button until it sounds minor and so on, like ChordwarePA does - not a plugin yet so you would need to assign channels to your audio plugins before exporting to cpa. Channels can be changed within cpa too if needed. It will also record midi output from your DAW.

MasterTuner
KVRist
242 posts since 30 May, 2018

Post Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:18 am

Thanks for all the responses.
I have Scaler plugin, and that determined for me that my song was in D Dorian. I do focus on the majors in that mode mostly, so thats why it has a major feel. I could look at using the relative minor.
I was fascinated by this Youtube channel where they switched popular songs from major to minor and vica versa. Just wondering what method they used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXrgl_oF-8
Last edited by MasterTuner on Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

Forgotten
KVRAF

Post Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:43 am

Maybe the plugin is wrong? It’s better to do your own analysis as there’s often more than one answer to which key/scale is being used, and I doubt that the software will be able to make those judgment calls, especially when it comes to identifying accidentals.

Return to “Music Theory”