Odd pondering.. What do YOU call this "Thing" with s Fuzzy Name?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
Meffy
Skunk Mod
20903 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:12 pm

Make up a name for it. How will this name's existence improve the creative process compared to the process as practiced without naming the thing?

It seems to me a little like naming the correspondence between the visceral sensation of a bicycle toe clip's springiness and the power exerted by the cyclist's muscles per pedal-turn. A correspondence exists, but…

"Display music", corresponding to "sheet music", strikes me as about as useful a name as one can find. It has a well-known physical (paper) counterpart that nearly everyone's familiar with. Nobody thinks the paper can be listened to, and everyone understands that a complex process is required to render it into audible form. Same with a display.

Or "musical score". They're not all plain and mundane. If these can qualify as scores, I figure just about any visual representation warrants using the same term:

https://www.scribd.com/document/2602/Cr ... cal-Scores

[eta] I'm not against naming things, just skeptical that every thing needs a name.

Here's a poem, Adam's Task, which concerns naming. It's not religious, just uses the Biblical "first man" and his first chore as a foundation. The blogger's notes are fun and thankfully short.

https://theondioline.wordpress.com/2012 ... dams-task/

Though I am fond of the Ondioline and other proto-electronic instruments, this is not my Wordpress site. I make sites for other people, but don't have one of my own. What for?

Jim Rosebrook
KVRist
58 posts since 6 Mar, 2012 from Chillicothe, Ohio

Re: Odd pondering.. What do YOU call this "Thing" with s Fuzzy Name?

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:01 pm

Meffy wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:12 pm
Make up a name for it. How will this name's existence improve the creative process compared to the process as practiced without naming the thing?
Maybe only in a subtle way...

For me, clearly calling this Thing the "Arrangement" helps sharpen the focus as to what the task at hand actually is.... When you get stalled and need to regroup your thoughts....

Meffy
Skunk Mod
20903 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:13 pm

*nodnod* "Arrangement" is a good one too. These are all imprecise for communication with others, but for thinking about it yourself it's a good handle. To get it across to other musicians would probably take a little explanation, but I can't think of a distinct, easily grasped term that beats "arrangement" or "score" or just "music".

tooneba
KVRian
1313 posts since 6 Nov, 2012

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:05 pm

Arrangement occurs not only in this "Thing" but also in other places like in some DAWs where you can store/record audio/MIDI/Modulating/Automation and lineup accordingly outside of this "Thing". Arrangement is born in user's brain and the tools are just representing it visually. So if the tool is representing this arrangement it is the arrangement, which aren't necessarily the "Thing". I agree with your "but this is a little broad" statement.

jens
KVRAF
19812 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:27 am

Clip-based arrangement...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”