Lo-fi house bass technique?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to recreate this really crunchy (and also smooth) deep bassline from this lo-fi house track with no luck. I hear a lot of compression, degradation going on the bass maybe sidechain too, so it's really hard to tell (at least for me) where to start with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62m1WoBZCmc
you can hear at: 1:44

Any help / guide appreciated no matter what VST or DAW. (I'm using Ableton, have Xfer Serum, Arturia Analog Lab, Synapse Audio Legend, Sylenth, Massive)
thanks in advance, and have a nice day :phones:

This is a preset fort Charlatan (FREE) which pretty much nails it.
Post process however you like (maybe a hint of HP Filter) and whatever else you like.

A LOT of basses are simple one osc pulse waves but play with the width of the pulse to create very different timbre's

the width here was set to 73% i think but even moving it up 5% points sounds quite different.
I mi8ght have set the MOD a little too high which gives it too much of an attack but turning it down a little might suit better

DJ ÆDIDIAS - ape like nigo Bass.zip

Let me know if you can't open this
It's in fxp and fst(FL Studio)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

CHOOS wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:57 am This is a preset fort Charlatan (FREE) which pretty much nails it.
Post process however you like (maybe a hint of HP Filter) and whatever else you like.

A LOT of basses are simple one osc pulse waves but play with the width of the pulse to create very different timbre's

the width here was set to 73% i think but even moving it up 5% points sounds quite different.
I mi8ght have set the MOD a little too high which gives it too much of an attack but turning it down a little might suit better

DJ ÆDIDIAS - ape like nigo Bass.zip

Let me know if you can't open this
It's in fxp and fst(FL Studio)
Wow! That's exactly what I've been looking to achieve, CHOOS! I really appreciate this, thank you. :hyper:
I'm getting more fan of the Charlatan plugin. Found in forum yesterday, and it's marvelous.
I've put a stereo enhancer and bass boost on the bass followed by a smooth compression, and it sounds more than perfect :) Thanks again!

no problem bud.
be aware that stereo enhancers can f**k with basses in a bad way (not always) but test it by making the track mono after the stereo effect to see if it doesn't cancel out any harmonics too much.

most basses don't need stereo width.
another option is adding a hint of chorus which fits well in some tracks but sucks in others.

Good Luck

Yeah, the never ending fight for space on low frequencies :D Thanks for the tip :) I'm somewhat aware of that and for that reason I'm using Klevgrand's Hazee2 (I'm pretty sure it can be achieved with chorus too), which is only modulates the higher frequencies of the bass mostly above 100hz, so it's sounds almost the same in mono. Maybe I'll share my project with you in the near future of course only if you're okay with that :)

Definitely man.
If I can help with a few things. Let me know. And if you don't need help... Also let me hear it :)

Thanks for the tips :). Will also check the Charlatan plugin.

Return to “Sound Design”