Should I keep being sober ?

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->
Ghost Snake
KVRist
128 posts since 16 Oct, 2009 from Italy

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:29 am

Or should I do like I did in the old days, being TIPSY every day and create INTERESTING music ?

I find Sober --> Bored --> Rational / Boring music.

Actually I find it hard, when sober, to 'get lost in the moment' and follow the creative process. The world is so "left-brained". On the other hand, drinking has some nasty side effects so you can't be drunk every day .

Is this true for you ? Any tips for 'getting creative' without lighting up something / downing a couple pints ?

P.S. Today I found out about this gentleman, Edward De Bono, who apparently was really into "lateral thinking", so much that he wrote 46 books on the subject. Might be an interesting read.

Cheers.

( Lonely Valentine's at home tonight haha )
I am musically schizophrenic

vurt
addled muppet weed
58741 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Should I keep being sober ?

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:32 am

have a "self initiated system overload orgasm"?

V0RT3X
KVRAF
8082 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Alesia

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:34 am

Depends on what you want.

If you want to live a longer life then moderation is key.

Forgotten
KVRAF
8460 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:35 am

I would recommend “I am Right, You are Wrong” as a start point for De Bono. Very interesting read.

RunBeerRun
KVRAF
7927 posts since 2 Aug, 2005 from Guitar Land, USA

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:39 am

Eat your own throw up.

Costs less, but no 64 bit version planned nancy boy.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Ghost Snake
KVRist

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:39 am

vurt wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:32 am
have a "self initiated system overload orgasm"?
never heard about that. how does it work ?

Ghost Snake
KVRist

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:40 am

RunBeerRun wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:39 am
Eat your own throw up.

Costs less, but no 64 bit version planned nancy boy.
ooh I'll definetely try that at the first occasion. is it ok if I drink a homeless' throw up ?

Ghost Snake
KVRist

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:42 am

Forgotten wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:35 am
I would recommend “I am Right, You are Wrong” as a start point for De Bono. Very interesting read.
thx for the suggestion, I'll add it to my 'to buy' book list :)

Meffy
Skunk Mod
20862 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:32 pm

Everyone has to find their own balance.

For most people there's nothing wrong with getting "tipsy" — or what my generation called getting "buzzed" — but not seriously drunk. Getting smashed, plastered, blotto, too drunk to think or do much but hoist another drink? Not good.

I used to drink a lot of beer. Eventually I realized that 1) I was spending so much on beer that there wasn't much left for other expenses, and 2) waking up with a hangover gets really tiresome. Now I drink only very rarely, and not much at a time. Works okay. I'm not militantly anti-alcohol, just tried it and for me not drinking is better than drinking.

As for Tipsy and music: https://tipsyband.bandcamp.com/track/hey
V0RT3X wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:34 am
If you want to live a longer life then moderation is key.
Good heavens, do you think so? I'm sure it's taken at least three years off my allotted span.

Bombadil
KVRAF
5091 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from Far From the Twisted Reach of Crazy Sorrow

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:18 pm

How long have you been sober? It often takes people time to recover their Muse after giving up their particular poisons. If the pain of drinking is worse than the pain of not drinking, then don't drink. If you need help to stay sober, get it.
“We're an Anarcho-Syndicalist commune”
Dennis

Jace-BeOS
KVRAF
5648 posts since 7 Jan, 2005 from Corporate States of America

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:22 am

Bombadil wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:18 pm
How long have you been sober? It often takes people time to recover their Muse after giving up their particular poisons. If the pain of drinking is worse than the pain of not drinking, then don't drink. If you need help to stay sober, get it.
Good advice.

When I was on an SSNRI drug, as well as it causing a physiological addiction, it had killed much of my impulse control. This is generally a bad thing. The conflict for me, however, is realizing that I acted on almost all “artistic impulses”.

I made a lot of disturbing and just plain not great art, but I *made stuff*. I even made music, including three examples of writing passionate vocals/lyrics for someone else’s demo songs almost the very moment as listening to them. I liked a lot of the music I made and much of the photography.

Self-censorship is a huge problem with creative work. Defeating inhibition means defeating self-censorship. It is attractive for creative people, especially when you can look back on some decent results of that creativity.

However, this disinhibition also affected my personality... in all ways NOT GOOD. Let’s just leave it at I’d be dead or in jail by now if I hadn’t had help getting off those damned psych drugs.

Post-SSNRI usage, I now find my self-censorship and inhibition to be worse than it was BEFORE psych drugs came into the picture. Six+ years on them did damage to my brain and body and I’m still dealing with it today.

I now struggle to act on any creative impulses (some of this is also tied to being raised in a culture that thinks art is valueless and that all activities must earn money somehow, and some is also a type of learned helplessness; still trying to tease it all apart).

You might be experiencing a similar problem. When we subject our bodies to substances that change their function, our bodies try to compensate. Doing this long enough results in long term changes that take time to revert (if they can be fully reverted at all). This is why physiological addiction happens.

It involves self-awareness and intentional behavioral retraining.

I currently have to force myself to work at music and audio projects. The force is making myself sit down and play with sounds and play the keys (or guitar, or whatever). If I can get myself to go to the third floor, power on the equipment, start the software, and throw some instruments up to play, I’ve gotten past the hardest roadblock: inertia.

I still make music. Even music I like. The after-effects are a bit of self-respect and self-satisfaction. I’m not sure how to avoid using that as an excuse to not go straight back to it the next day 🤔

I’m personally not against a little alcohol and a bit of a buzz, now and then. It is pleasant and can be a good social experience (as in: done with friends). But alone? No way. That’s a trap I don’t want to get into.

Learn how to do things sober. Examine why your sober behavior is different from your boozey behavior. What are the inhibitions keeping you from making music when sober? Where/how/why did you develop those inhibitions?

What do you like? What gives you joy when sober? How can you promote enjoyment and joy itself, while sober, instead of feeling bored or disinterested?

Whatever you do, I highly recommend that you don’t get on the path of *relying* on chemical alteration. It is unsustainable.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

revvy
KVRer
20 posts since 15 Feb, 2020

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:49 am

OP, fancy a pint?

Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
3198 posts since 17 Jan, 2017 from Planet of cats

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:22 am

My music got better after I went total absolutist for a 6 years. Mostly because when I drink even few beers, my brain activity stops and I become a drooling zombie :lol:

But I also have a friend who only knows how to play guitar when he's drunk, so.. :shrug:

If you want to make non boring music sober, you need to learn it. Get an emotion.. If you want to make some dance stuff, play a track or two and jump on the sofa and around the house like crazy and get a feeling of what you wanna do. Then when you have the right mood, just do it. And if you make music while sitting, you make sitting music. Stand while making beats and you'll notice what makes your feet move and cock twitching.

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15509 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:14 am

Drugs can really cloud one’s judgment. Everything you need is already within. You just need to learn how to tap into it. Meditation is a great start :tu:

Be wary of distractions that rob your nerve energy, as they artificially boost the very same chemicals that are necessary for creative energy, discernment and joy.

Forgotten
KVRAF
8460 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:55 am

Meditation is a good way to focus and remove stress, but not necessarily for everyone.

But sometimes stress and distraction work to temper songwriting, so it’s all a balance between different things to figure out what works for you.

Return to “Off Topic”