Noise Issue When Recording Synths

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello. As of recently I've been having some issue with noise when I'm recording. Let me show you what I mean.

Here is a record of my Dave Smith Rev 2, I've included silence at the beginning and end of the clip for comparison. The noise being heard happens as soon as I plug my synth into my interface. The strange thing is it happens on every port! So even if I'm plugging and instrument cable into the pedal jack, it will STILL create this annoying sound.

Rev 2 Noise Clyp

I'm having a similar issue with my Korg MS-20 Mini. Even when the oscillators are off whenever I press a key it makes this annoying white noise. Now I've read up on articles from other MS-20 Mini owners having this same issue and it appears to be a common one, however I've yet to find a solution to it.

Any advice on how to fix either or both of these noisy recordings?

Thanks in advance!

What I hear in the clip is RFI. The cable from interface to synth works as an antenna and picks up the electro-magnetic fluctuations caused by your computer doing its work. To some extent this is normal, but here the level is disturbingly loud.

Can you describe how you have recorded it? What's the volume setting on the synth, which output (headphone, line) goes to what input of the PC, audio interface or builtin soundcaerd, what's inbetween (mixer, preamp?)

I think it could be much more acceptable with the correct gain staging: higher volume on the synth, lower trim on the recording. Also sometimes it gets worse when the synth and the PC both are connected to the same mains power grounding (mild ground loop)

Regarding the MS20 problem: it sounds like a design fault so white noise always leaks through. Just never set all oscillator volumes to zero, and it should not be too bothering. Or wait for a fix in the next issue.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

What interface are you using? Is your interface set correctly? I know on mine there is a HI-Z setting. If the settings are wrong, microphones can sound broken etc.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

BertKoor wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:41 am What I hear in the clip is RFI. The cable from interface to synth works as an antenna and picks up the electro-magnetic fluctuations caused by your computer doing its work. To some extent this is normal, but here the level is disturbingly loud.

Can you describe how you have recorded it? What's the volume setting on the synth, which output (headphone, line) goes to what input of the PC, audio interface or builtin soundcaerd, what's inbetween (mixer, preamp?)

I think it could be much more acceptable with the correct gain staging: higher volume on the synth, lower trim on the recording. Also sometimes it gets worse when the synth and the PC both are connected to the same mains power grounding (mild ground loop)

Regarding the MS20 problem: it sounds like a design fault so white noise always leaks through. Just never set all oscillator volumes to zero, and it should not be too bothering. Or wait for a fix in the next issue.
In that specific recording I had the gain on my interface all the way down, and the volume on my synth at about 75%. I am using the phones output from my Rev 2 straight into the in on my PreSonus Audiobox. I am not using any sort of medium, like a mixer or preamp.

Turning in input gain to the lowest setting on my interface definitely helps, if I have it turned up the noise from the synth is much louder. But that annoyingly loud white noise only starts as soon as I plug in my synth.

I'm not too familiar with power grounding. My synth and my computer are both plugged into different outlets on different sides of the room.

I hope that gives enough information, but if not I would be happy to provide more.

Aloysius wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:28 am What interface are you using? Is your interface set correctly? I know on mine there is a HI-Z setting. If the settings are wrong, microphones can sound broken etc.
I am using a cheap entry level PreSonus Audiobox. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by set correctly. However I have also been having issues with my microphone recently. The recordings cut in and out and they also have these very loud popping noises in them.

I could try changing the settings on my interface. You mentioned changing yours to a "HI-Z" setting, how would I go about doing that?

take a look at the manual
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

The PreSonus Audiobox has combo-inputs: XLR pins for mic and 1/4" TRS for Hi-Z (high impedance) instruments such as electric guitars.

My guess is you use a 1/4" plug into the interface. What sort of cable? If that is a non-shielded headphones cable, that will make things much worse.

I'd have to check the technical details (just did, and these are not available) but I suspect that synth of yours is neither mic nor instrument. It's level is too high for mic and it's impedance is too low for instrument. Using the headphone outputs might make it worse - these are usually like 32 ohm and thus very low impedance.

Power sockets at different sides of the room, that's a potential problem. It's a shame that most modern equipment comes with 3-prong plugs. If they had no connection with ground, then there would not be a ground loop.

Try plugging everything into the same power strip, see if that helps...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”