Is anyone using Padshop Pro 2 with Linnstrument? Or can recommend another MPE granular synth?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
flechtwerk
KVRist
35 posts since 13 Apr, 2017 from Vienna

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:33 am

Is anyone using Padshop Pro 2 with Linnstrument as a VST? In the description on Recommended Sounds of Roger Linn's homepage I couldn't quite tell whether the MPE functionality only works within the Cubase environment. So I'd be happy about any reports. Unfortunately, Steinberg doesn't offer a trial version.

In general, I'm still searching for a good granular synth that works with MPE... Crusher-X is somewhat unappealing to me (and it would be very expensive to follow their update policy). Audio Damage Quanta seems too limited, and I hate how the Modulation Matrix is organized. And something like Space Craft Granular seems too much of a toy. Right now I'm mainly using Bitwig's Grid with the granular capabilities of its sampler module, but I'm just hoping for something more powerful while still being nice and usable.

Happy about any recommendations!
Last edited by flechtwerk on Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobDog
KVRian
814 posts since 2 Apr, 2015

Re: Is anyone using Padshop Pro 2 with Linnstrument? Or can recommend another MPE granular synth?

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:01 am

Arturia Pigments has a granular engine in now, might be worth downloading the demo to see if you like it.

flechtwerk
KVRist

Re: Is anyone using Padshop Pro 2 with Linnstrument? Or can recommend another MPE granular synth?

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:09 am

Thanks for the recommendation!

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
3980 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:15 am

At least polyphonic pitch bend works fine in Bitwig. In theory any proper implemented VST3 which supports expressions should also support MPE... (don‘t need to set it to MPE, because the LinnStruments script translates MPE to expressions already...)

flechtwerk
KVRist

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:57 pm

Thanks for the answer!

jsterne
KVRist
157 posts since 25 Jul, 2010

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:27 am

Of these, I’d recommend Quanta. I also hate the modulation matrix interface but it has the virtue of being able to choose what aftertouch and Y axis control and how much. Spacecraft is quite limited but good at what it does. Mangle is not MPE but is quite good in other ways.

aMUSEd
KVRAF
31219 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:09 pm

Didn’t realise Padshop 2 had MPE support

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
3980 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:16 pm

Its not directly MPE, it is VST3 expressions which had been introduced long before. Steinberg simply forgot, that when they started programming sequencers that there had been also Midi controllers as crucial input devices...

Cepheus
KVRist
35 posts since 4 Jan, 2007

Post Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:16 pm

FRMS would fit the description of granular and MPE. A lot of parameters in this synth are assignable to MPE sources with a convenient matrix. Polyphonic pitchbending actually works on this synth. Basically, you have 4 layers with a granular oscillator or just a waveform oscillator which can be blended as operators in the FM synthesis mode with 8 possible different algorithms . Good sounding, very tweakable & playable and fun synth.

There is thread here on FRMS; viewtopic.php?t=541801

Return to “Roger Linn Design”