3.2 speculations

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

anoise wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:05 am
krixa wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:23 pm How's the machine gun going? Just wondering :-o
Out of ammo. Press "R" to reload! :roll:
Get a room :party:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

would be happy if they gave us the ability to stretch audio clips straight on the timeline by dragging the clip edge.
Yes! Little things like this is what we need in the next update. First thing people coming from other daws ask me when I'm showing them Bitwig is "can you comp?" and "how do you stretch out audio or midi on the arranger".

Defo time to focus on the cake not the icing as another poster said it :-)

Best
Dale

Stretch audio clips on the timeline has been requested numerous times. Same for midi.

These are obvious to everyone except the developers, for some reason.

Broken wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:57 pm Stretch audio clips on the timeline has been requested numerous times. Same for midi.

I get the sentiment, but I think it's safe to say that for every DAW there's a feature or two that the user base wants, that's much harder to implement than people think. I doubt Ableton are really that happy about their lack of MPE support, that Apple is happy with Logics odd or nonexistent abilities MIDI input by port, and multi instrument AUs etc.

machinesworking wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:11 pm
Broken wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:57 pm Stretch audio clips on the timeline has been requested numerous times. Same for midi.

I get the sentiment, but I think it's safe to say that for every DAW there's a feature or two that the user base wants, that's much harder to implement than people think. I doubt Ableton are really that happy about their lack of MPE support, that Apple is happy with Logics odd or nonexistent abilities MIDI input by port, and multi instrument AUs etc.
Logic already supports multinstrument AUs and has done so since at least LP8 or 9. And it's as easy to use as any other DAW for the most part. So not sure what you mean there. I'll give you Midi input by port.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:11 am Logic already supports multinstrument AUs and has done so since at least LP8 or 9. And it's as easy to use as any other DAW for the most part. So not sure what you mean there. I'll give you Midi input by port.
Nope, I own and use 5 DAWs, at one point 2001 to around 2009 I used Logic exclusively, going back to it, it's a PITA, it's not intuitive at all, and is a mess compared to Live, DP10, Bitwig, even Reaper.

I'm probably going to be using Logic more and more these days as I really find Articulation maps to be fantastic, makes every other method a total headache, but just opening up Play and trying to get Logic to set up MIDI outs and audio outs is... weird?? I'm going to have to go back and read the manual on this, and I used it exclusively for around 8 years.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:20 am
apoclypse wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:11 am Logic already supports multinstrument AUs and has done so since at least LP8 or 9. And it's as easy to use as any other DAW for the most part. So not sure what you mean there. I'll give you Midi input by port.
Nope, I own and use 5 DAWs, at one point 2001 to around 2009 I used Logic exclusively, going back to it, it's a PITA, it's not intuitive at all, and is a mess compared to Live, DP10, Bitwig, even Reaper.

I'm probably going to be using Logic more and more these days as I really find Articulation maps to be fantastic, makes every other method a total headache, but just opening up Play and trying to get Logic to set up MIDI outs and audio outs is... weird?? I'm going to have to go back and read the manual on this, and I used it exclusively for around 8 years.

I haven't used Logic in a while so it took me some time to remember what needed to be done. Either way, there is very little difference in-terms of multitimbral instruments between Logic and any other DAW. You create a track with a different midi channel and assign that channel to the multi instrument. Logic even makes this easy because they have a simple shortcut that automatically assigns the next channel to the same instrument (Ctrl + Return). Bitwig Multitimbral support is if not worse at least way more involved to setup.

I'm not sure what you mean assigning outs is weird. You literally load a multitimbral instrument and hit a little plus sign in the mixer, can't really get easier than that. Versus Ableton where you have to manually create each track and route each audio, or Bitwig is even worse imo.

Midi outs (I'm assuming to external instruments) works exactly as it does in Ableton and Bitwig. Create an external midi track, it will let you even assign the input (and will automatically create an external synth device) and will let you assign the midi destination so you can route that midi track to any external gear directly (it doesn't use omni in this mode, you can route directly to a midi port and channel). It's as easy as it comes. In Bitwig and Ableton you have to do all of that manually using multiple steps. Logic does it in one.

I wish people would stop making authoritative statements about Logic without actually knowing how the DAW works. I barely even use the DAW now (S1 user) but I was a user since 5.5 platinum on PC. It's an extremely powerful DAW that is as straightforward to use for the most part as an other DAW. It's just that its so old that I've seen feature requests for things that have been there for many year or people saying ti doesn't do something that it's been able to do since at least version 8.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

They are taking their time was this update....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:25 pm They are taking their time was this update....
My speculation is they're waiting for my update plan to expire and then they'll release it :hihi:
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Greenstorm33 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:37 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:25 pm They are taking their time was this update....
My speculation is they're waiting for my update plan to expire and then they'll release it :hihi:
The update shotgun seems busted.. it requires more money to fix :D

I think this may be the longest run without an update (we are spoilt) but them maybe it just feels that way as I am locked down!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

apoclypse wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:05 pm I wish people would stop making authoritative statements about Logic without actually knowing how the DAW works. I barely even use the DAW now (S1 user) but I was a user since 5.5 platinum on PC. It's an extremely powerful DAW that is as straightforward to use for the most part as an other DAW. It's just that its so old that I've seen feature requests for things that have been there for many year or people saying ti doesn't do something that it's been able to do since at least version 8.
I flatly stated I've used Logic since pre Apple days, and you throw in nonsense... I have the latest version right here, the way it operates for multi instruments is awkward and lame. It works, never said it didn't, and setting it up is completely ridiculous. + signs next to tracks in a mixer... blehgh! It compromises flexibility with software instruments left and right. I really like Logic for a lot of things, but the way it treats and addresses software instruments is not one of them. Logic flatly refuses to give software instruments the same flexibility as hardware MIDI tracks, the rest of the program is great, but that part is not so great.

SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:11 am I think this may be the longest run without an update (we are spoilt) but them maybe it just feels that way as I am locked down!
Wasn't there an update a month ago?
I just got into Bitwig, so I have a while to go before I have update desires besides unrealistic ones, like it getting articulation mapping like Logic or Cubase. or comping.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:57 am
SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:11 am I think this may be the longest run without an update (we are spoilt) but them maybe it just feels that way as I am locked down!
I just got into Bitwig, so I have a while to go before I have update desires besides unrealistic ones, like it getting articulation mapping like Logic or Cubase. or comping.
BWS 3.1 was released Dec 18 2019

Last "update" was some bug fixes and a Arturia MicroLab controller extension on Mar 10 2020

A couple days after that there was a content update in the form of 150+ presets called Space, Time, Color
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:36 am
machinesworking wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:57 am
BWS 3.1 was released Dec 18 2019

Last "update" was some bug fixes and a Arturia MicroLab controller extension on Mar 10 2020

A couple days after that there was a content update in the form of 150+ presets called Space, Time, Color
Yeah I must have been thinking of a different DAW, the last big change was the vocoder on December 23rd. Where's our collaboration features? I mean if they had that by now I would have recruited at least two more user for them. :borg:

Return to “Bitwig”