I need some help to get MIDI Out and MIDI imports working in Freestyle

Official support for: newsonicarts.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using Version 1.5.042 on Windows 10 (Version 1903 Build 18362.720) and I'm trying to get MIDI out and MIDI imports working. I can't get both things to work in standalone and VST mode. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I want to modifiy MIDI notes with a combination of different midi fx plugins and send the notes via LoopBe30 to my DAW (Samplitude ProX4, if this matters). Of course, in VST mode I skip some steps and I also don't need LoopBe30.
  • In standalone mode I open the setup menu and I select my MIDI keyboard as an input, which works. Then I select my virtual LoopBe30 channel as an output.
  • I connect the event input dot at the top of the screen to my first plugin in the plugin chain, which works.
  • I send the notes through all of my plugins, which works.
  • I connect the event output dot of the last plugin in the chain with the event output dot at the bottom of the screen.
  • Now I open my DAW and create a new one track project.
  • I select my LoopBe30 channel as an input.
  • I play notes on my keyboards and I see how the plugins in Freestyle are reacting, but no MIDI input data is registered by my DAW.
If I use the software called VSTHost instead of Freestyle everything works just fine. So I don't know if there is one step I'm missing? In VST mode it is the same. I can't get notes back out to my DAW. I placed an event monitor node directly before the last event output dot at the bottom of the screen and it shows that notes are sent to the event output.

Then I have another problem. I want to drag and drop my MIDI files into freestyle. An event player node is created, if I do so. But it is 0.0 bars long and empty. What prevents my MIDI files from importing correctly? I have one example attached to this post. The file was made with Scaler. This also happens if I use Scaler inside Freestyle and drag a progression out of it.

One observation I made, is that if I record some notes into the event player and drag and drop it out to my desktop, a MIDI file is created and if I drag and drop the MIDI file back into freestyle it works just fine. So there has to be a difference in file format.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I updated Freestyle to the newest 1.5.044 Beta and now MIDI Out works fine. That's great! :tu:

Now only the problem with MIDI files persists.

That's good news. I'll try and find out about midi files..

Midi file issue addressed in latest beta.

It works. Amazing support! Thank you very much.

Having the same experience with MIDI files and I'm on the latest beta - MACOS. When I drag MIDI files in, and Event Player is created, but it has no content. Similarly, when I use the dropdown menu of Event Player and select Open, and try to open a MIDI file - nothing happens - no MIDI data is loaded. Are there additional steps that are required to work with MIDI files?

Fwiw - same experience as "sp." insofar as if I create a MIDI event in EventPlayer, and save it as MIDI - I can import that and it works fine. I just can't seem to import other MIDI files. Well, I can - but there is no note data. Thanks for your help in advance!

thehipcola wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:41 pm Fwiw - same experience as "sp." insofar as if I create a MIDI event in EventPlayer, and save it as MIDI - I can import that and it works fine. I just can't seem to import other MIDI files. Well, I can - but there is no note data. Thanks for your help in advance!
This issue was fixed, but I checked the progression.mid again in the current public beta and indeed its not working. Sorry about this. On investigation seems import was partially broken again due to some refactoring. Was a trivial fix so it will be included in the next release, although that likely wont be for a few weeks.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

awesome - thanks James!

Return to “New Sonic Arts”