Find Your Way Home [funky house / retro] ... feedback welcome...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thought I'd do an upbeat number with this one. I tried to make it not cheesy, hope I succeeded.
Me on vocals. Feedback welcome on mixing, arrangement, songwriting, etc.
https://soundcloud.com/bansaw-843690132 ... r-way-home

Liked the gospel vocals. A good song. The end is abrupt.
For the lead vocals: They sound a bit muddy (distorted) to me - but a matter of taste. I'm no mixing expert at all though.
And for the arrangement: Sometimes thin it out a little more before going full again?
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

thomekk wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:28 pm Liked the gospel vocals. A good song. The end is abrupt.
For the lead vocals: They sound a bit muddy (distorted) to me - but a matter of taste. I'm no mixing expert at all though.
And for the arrangement: Sometimes thin it out a little more before going full again?
thanks @thomekk, I put a lot of saturation on the vocals. I'm still searching for a really good treatment for my vocals. I was going to hire a vocalist from Fiverr, but just went with mine this time.

Sounds good to me. I like the saturation on the vocals. Hell, if I could sing like that I would have had a hit record back in the 80s for sure. That's a commercial sounding vocal. I can't think of the group off the top of my head but it is smack dab dead on as far as the sound. Guess I have to go and play all my 80s records to figure out who it is.

Anyway, I liked it, for whatever my opinion is worth.

Nice work, really like the vocal treatments. It really conjures 80 synth pop.

Enjoyable song and sounds. A bit too much distortion on vocals here and there. Otherwise well done.

Very very good track.About the vocals i like them but i would preferred it if they were a bit on the back but that its just me

Great vibe with energy. Main vocals are a bit loud but have a cool nice laid back feel. I like the snappy beats.
Like Wags says a very 80s commercial song.
Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:37 pm Anyway, I liked it, for whatever my opinion is worth.
@wags - its worth a lot, you're a good songwriter with a lot of experience.
@MRT - thanks for the listen. I'm trying to modernize but I do feel drawn back to the 80s influence
@markkuja - thanks for the feedback. The saturation on the vocals - I struggled to find a good balance of treatment for a while on them
@noylis - thanks for the listen and comments. Looks like people are divided opinion on the vocals.
@Allomerus - thank you for the feedback, appreciate it!

Bansaw,
Thank you for the review! Now your song: I'm glad you sang on it, though the main vocals are a bit pitchy at times (my only gripe), I recommend Melodyne. If you did use pitch correction, I believe you sometimes tweaked it to the wrong note. When I do use Melodyne, sometimes tweaking the pitch to the "exact note" doesn't sound right to my ears, I shift it a few percent one way or another until it sounds the best I can get it (even Celemony/Melodyne condones doing this). Not like I have perfect pitch. What is the story on the (female I assume) back ground vocals? Are they "real", or sampled? At any rate, they add a lot to the song. I like everything instrumentally, especially the synth bass. I like all of the melodies, it is a good song. :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:04 am Bansaw,
Thank you for the review! Now your song: I'm glad you sang on it, though the main vocals are a bit pitchy at times (my only gripe), I recommend Melodyne. If you did use pitch correction, I believe you sometimes tweaked it to the wrong note. When I do use Melodyne, sometimes tweaking the pitch to the "exact note" doesn't sound right to my ears, I shift it a few percent one way or another until it sounds the best I can get it (even Celemony/Melodyne condones doing this). Not like I have perfect pitch. What is the story on the (female I assume) back ground vocals? Are they "real", or sampled? At any rate, they add a lot to the song. I like everything instrumentally, especially the synth bass. I like all of the melodies, it is a good song. :)
Thanks Aaron. I did use Melodyne, but didn't go through note by note correcting everything, so there probably are pitchy notes.
The backing vocals are EastWest Backup Singers - a library that just came out a few months ago. I'm happy with it.
Appreciate the feedback ! :tu:

Nice nailing the 80’s sound down! What synths did you use?
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Music Bird wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:51 pm Nice nailing the 80’s sound down! What synths did you use?
Thanks, appreciate it.
I only used one synth: VPS Avenger.
Presets are from the Funky House expansion and my own Modern Analog one.

Bansaw,
Did you by chance do what I call pseudo double-tracking with Melodyne on the vocals? Very often I mix the original vocal track with the pitch-corrected track (with a time delay of 0.020 to 0.030 seconds between the 2 tracks, and sometimes .001 second difference sounds noticeably different!), and that often sounds less pitchy than just the pitch-corrected track (even though this does not seem logical). This sounds much more "full" than just one vocal track; similar to true double-tracking. Or if my original track is too pitchy, I pitch correct it roughly half as much as the fully pitch-corrected track. I experiment with this a lot. It might pay off if you have the patience.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:55 am Bansaw,
Did you by chance do what I call pseudo double-tracking with Melodyne on the vocals? Very often I mix the original vocal track with the pitch-corrected track (with a time delay of 0.020 to 0.030 seconds between the 2 tracks, and sometimes .001 second difference sounds noticeably different!), and that often sounds less pitchy than just the pitch-corrected track (even though this does not seem logical). This sounds much more "full" than just one vocal track; similar to true double-tracking. Or if my original track is too pitchy, I pitch correct it roughly half as much as the fully pitch-corrected track. I experiment with this a lot. It might pay off if you have the patience.
Thats interesting you track your untuned vocals with the tuned ones. I might give that a try.
I also use Nectar to add voices, delay etc.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to “Music Cafe”