"Apply Melody" Phrase Variation

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hope this sheds some light on the "apply melody" variation. Take a good look at the examples below.
Target phrase: G3, C4 both notes 3 beats long (dotted half-note)
"Melody" phrase (the phrase that is applied to the "target phrase"): D4, E4, F4, G4 (all quarter notes)
Note that I purposely made the target phrase 3 beats long, and the melody phrase 4 beats long.
apply melody - simple ex. with Affect All Notes OFF.png
First example - Uncheck "Affect All Notes Vertically At the Same Position"
Notice that the Middle C is entirely replaced by the melody; but the dotted-half rhythm of the Middle C replaces the 4-beat rhythm.
The way I understand it is this: the Melody replaces the notes of the Target, but the rhythm of the Target controls the Melody. I.e., the 3 beats in the Target, replaces the 4 beats in the Melody; and the first 3 beats in the Melody replace the dotted-half note in the Target.
So what about the D3 note in the Target? Why is that completely unaffected, whereas the C4 is changed? The tool tip that appears when you hover over "Affect All Notes Vertically at the Same Position" reads as follows: Not just the closest note is adjusted to the melody but all other notes that begin at the same position.
So the D3 note in the Target is NOT the closest note to the Melody; rather, the closest note is the C4.
BUT - the "affect All Notes . . . " box is NOT checked in the first example above, so therefore the D3 (being Not the "closest note") is NOT affected.

Here is the second example - this time the "affect All Notes . . . " box is checked (ON).
apply melody - ex. 2 with Affect All Notes ON.png
Now we see that the rhythm of the Melody (3 quarter notes) is applied to the D3 dotted-half note in the Target. As in the first example, the C4 dotted-half note is entirely replaced by the Melody.

My next experiment will be to apply this target to a Triad, which will sit below the Melody. I will try to get to it soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I should have added that in the 2 music notation examples, measure 1 is the "Target" phrase; measure 3 is the "Melody" phrase;
measure 5 is the "result" after applying the variation.

Here are the 2 examples using a Target phrase C3-E3-G3-C4 ; the 1st example is "Affect All Notes . . . " Off; the 2nd example for "Affect All Notes . . . " On

Notice that that the pitches C3-E3-G3 in the Target are completely unaffected in the 1st example because they sit BELOW that closest pitch to the Melody (C4). But with "Affect All Notes . . . " On, the rhythm of the Melody (quarter notes) is applied to the Target Notes C3-E3-G3

apply melody - ex. 3 with Affect All Notes OFF.png
Ex 3 chords.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”