W11 how do i open the mixer as a TAB?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In a new version there is an option to open mixer in new window, but how do i open it in a new tab?
There is only one button.

Click the "+" button at the end of the list of tabs. Point to the name of the project then click the mixer button next to the name of the edit.

This will open the Mixer as a window in W11. We changed this behaviour as it was more consistent with what people wanted.
If you just want to mix, you can remove the arrange area from a tab completely now.

Is there a specific reason you want to open two tabs for an Edit?

I just did this in W11 and it is definitely opening the mixer in a new tab, resulting in two open tabs for the same edit.
The button in the mixer area opens a new window, but the "+" button next to the tabs opens in a tab instead.

Oh yes. I think this might be left over from W10.
I think better behaviour would be for the "mixer" button from the "+" button to open a tab with the "Mixer" layout preset.

Does anyone actually find having the separate Mixer tab useful?

I don't really use the mixer in Waveform at all. To me the larger meters it offers are potentially more useful than the channel strips, as I can just use the ones to the right of the tracks, which I find to be more convenient.

If I did use the mixer view and if I were mixing on a laptop, then I would find it much more useful to have that option than to have the option of a separate window. The separate window is useful on a desktop with multiple monitors, but the option to open in a tab means faster switching back and forth between the mixer and the tracks when working on a relatively small screen where trying to display them together might get cramped. Using the knob-icon-thing to pop up the controls for visibility of the screen sections is much slower than switching tabs.

fde101 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:35 pm the option to open in a tab means faster switching back and forth between the mixer and the tracks when working on a relatively small screen where trying to display them together might get cramped. Using the knob-icon-thing to pop up the controls for visibility of the screen sections is much slower than switching tabs.
That is exactly what i was thinking.

Yeah, in previous versions of Waveform the controls to show/hide the individual parts of the interface were all right out in the open. Now that we need to go through that popup thing (and some of the sections are quite small on top of that), dynamically rearranging the interface is sufficiently slower that being able to have multiple tabs open with different configurations could be of benefit to some users... or maybe a toggle button that remembered two states and switched them with one click without having to go through the "eye"con?

In any case I think keeping that option to open the tab for the mixer would be for the best.

That's all what the new "layouts" or "view presets" are for.
If you click the "double window" button next to the "eye" you can load/save view presets.
You can assign shortcuts to these or even quick action buttons if you want a physical button.

Here's a related bug for you. I put the mixer in its own window. Then I closed Tracktion via the x in the main window. "Do you want to save this edit?". I pressed Save Changes. The main window closed. The mixer remained.
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

How do i assign a shortcut to layouts? I can't find it in options/

"Here's a related bug for you. I put the mixer in its own window. Then I closed Tracktion via the x in the main window. "Do you want to save this edit?". I pressed Save Changes. The main window closed. The mixer remained."

This is the exact issue I have as well and was just about to post a question on this when I saw this thread. My default setup is mixer in monitor 2 and the rest of Waveform in monitor 1.

I just had a play to see if I could save a layout preset with the mixer in a separate window and I now realise that I do not have the custom layouts button visible at the top right of the main screen? In fact I seem to be missing a few other buttons up there ( I have the add plugin, step clip etc). Any idea how to show those or resurrect them? I'm using W11 Pro and upgraded from W10 Pro.

Cambler wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:12 am I do not have the custom layouts button visible at the top right of the main screen?
It should be to the immediate left of the blue eyecon that determines what parts of the edit window are visible, on the same row as the tabs, just above the ones you named.

Sadly it's not. On the top right of my main window I have the Progress Meter, the CPU Usage and the Make Full Screen button. Below that I have +Clip, Plugin Generator, Modifier Button and then the Blue Eye UI Button.

I try right clicking madly in that area to no avail :)

Actually now I look I also seem to be missing the Quick Actions option in the hide/show UI option.

Return to “Tracktion”