Hive2 feature request thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Urs
u-he
24598 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:57 am

Joe Leidigkeit wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:27 am
if there was an option to lock my current scale/notes.
An oversight on my part. This shall be rectified.
ab_sourd wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:47 am
Could you add presets for shape seqeuencer?
I'll deal with it at some point. We might extend the concept a bit before we settle on a preset format for it. What's also causing me some headaches is, due to the shared nature of the shapes, a preset would contain settings for all 4 modulators at once. I'm a bit unsure if switching a preset resulting in change to all 4 sections is what people would expect.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
19992 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:46 am

Could have an option to lock each of the 4 sections individually?

Urs
u-he

Post Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:10 pm

EvilDragon wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:46 am
Could have an option to lock each of the 4 sections individually?
How/why lock them when the shapes themselves get overridden?

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:01 pm

Ah, right. Dunno then, haha :D

THE INTRANCER
KVRAF
1537 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:00 pm

I wish to god that there was an additional Arp / Sequencer beyond just one... Rapid has 8 arp / step and dual gate independent sequencers 32 steps in length with midi file / internal file internal sequence types. Dune 3 has a dual 2 step arp / gate sequencer with midi file and internal sequence types. I was disappointed that an updated sequencer didn't get included in the last major update for Hive 2. I wasn't a fan of the new colours in the hex section. As many know, I did a complete redesign... of Hive 2. If it was possible, I'd have added another hexagon, but had to make do with another XY-Pad instead :-D And just to add, Rapid has an option for polyphonic arpeggiation.

So with all that said, and pun intended.. Hive needs to step up in the sequencer department.
THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source A New Site Fusing Music - Art - Film & Technology | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16 | Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:15 pm

Thankfully Hive is not Rapid or Dune or whatever else and can have its own feature set instead. :)

Also what you did was far from a redesign, you just changed colors (with a really bad contrast ratio, too). A redesign is when you completely change the layout of controls, not when you retain the positions of controls and just change the skins. A good example of a proper redesign is what PlugMon is doing.

PieBerger
KVRian
583 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Post Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:54 am

EvilDragon wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:15 pm
Thankfully Hive is not Rapid or Dune or whatever else and can have its own feature set instead. :)
Thankfully indeed. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to a 2nd page for the seq :)
Always Read the Manual!

Urs
u-he

Post Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:05 am

I'm interested in making the sequencer more versatile and performable. In CVilization we're picking up some of the concepts we did for Diva's axed-when-too-ambitious sequencer which we might reintroduce into Hive's as well.

PieBerger
KVRian
583 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Post Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:55 am

Urs wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:05 am
I'm interested in making the sequencer more versatile and performable. In CVilization we're picking up some of the concepts we did for Diva's axed-when-too-ambitious sequencer which we might reintroduce into Hive's as well.
Great to hear! It's super fun to use, which is precisely why I would like to able to do more with it :)

Since we're talking about the seq are there any known bugs and or idiosyncrasies (i.e. mod depth isn't an integer value) to consider when modulating the playback speed. I want to use the Shape Sequencer, with an odd/prime number of steps, programmed for 0% and 100% modulation depth i.e. a kind of probability gate, to modulate the speed of the seq/arp, such that it randomly spits out either 8th or 16th steps, however when doing so the sequence goes out of time after a few bars....

What am I doing wrong?
Always Read the Manual!

pdxindy
KVRAF
16948 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:48 am

Urs wrote:
Oh... I loved that sequencer in Diva! So playable!!

Urs
u-he

Post Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:28 am

PieBerger wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:55 am
Urs wrote:
Great to hear! It's super fun to use, which is precisely why I would like to able to do more with it :)

Since we're talking about the seq are there any known bugs and or idiosyncrasies (i.e. mod depth isn't an integer value) to consider when modulating the playback speed. I want to use the Shape Sequencer, with an odd/prime number of steps, programmed for 0% and 100% modulation depth i.e. a kind of probability gate, to modulate the speed of the seq/arp, such that it randomly spits out either 8th or 16th steps, however when doing so the sequence goes out of time after a few bars....

What am I doing wrong?
Modulating tempo/playback speed breaks sync - it's a fact of life, unfortunately. The modulation happens when a note has already started, so there's a short latency (1ms maybe) from cause to effect. Chicken and egg if you will. This is totally no problem in a short period of time, or when done rarely. But the effects add up and things go out of whack (certainly true for all such systems, unless, see next paragraph)

I have been pondering about an idea to resynch when the intent is clear enough i.e. if the tempo changes happen within a raster and if they are kind-of-integer multiples of the original rate. This would however never work for gradually changing things which weren't ever meant to be synced, it might even break those.

In other words, it's a non-trivial issue. I know about it, but I have no immediate fix.

THE INTRANCER
KVRAF
1537 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:54 am

EvilDragon wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:15 pm

Also what you did was far from a redesign, you just changed colors (with a really bad contrast ratio, too). A redesign is when you completely change the layout of controls, not when you retain the positions of controls and just change the skins. A good example of a proper redesign is what PlugMon is doing.
I remember you said the same thing a few months back... but you either didn't read or remember my reply to that. Your assessment of what I did, is actually wrong because what I did, was in fact not just re-colour things, I redesigned them completely or enhanced them visually, so they had more clarity from how they looked previously. Functional controls were shifted to a different location like the link button to the centre. Knobs, text labels were shifted, whilst knobs were rendered in another 3D program, display elements were moved and redesigned as well as buttons. Every screen was redrawn and almost everything icon wise. Almost every element was shifted like the screen elements in the lower half and re-organised. The strip of message buttons were improved so you don't have light grey text being illuminated by mid tone orange. Piano section was completely redesigned, modulation section also with added functionality added so instead of having one XY Pad on the left, you have one mirrored on the right side as well, so not only does one have symmetry in the design, you also have consideration for those who naturally work from right to left (right handed users).... Implementing features that were not there before. To do all this required 3 different applications, and a complete deconstruction and interpretation of the scripting code as well as from a graphical standpoint. There is plenty that I've missed as I'm recalling this from memory... Also, when I change things, I do so to make them better (as I want to see them), not because of change sake or any alternative motive to sell something, just because one knows how to completely change the look of something to fit their end goal. There is no need to change the core design of something that the original designer / engineer has identified works best for a user, however there is always room for improvement to that design in the eyes of another. Saying something isn't a redesign is like saying a redesign of a car isn't a redesign if it doesn't have 6 wheels instead of 4, which is of course ludicrous. Same principle applies to GUI design. There's actually a video of the first design I posted last year.. it's slowly being updated since then.

See here: https://intrancersonic-ds.blogspot.com/ ... d-e-s.html
THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source A New Site Fusing Music - Art - Film & Technology | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16 | Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect

pekbro
KVRAF
3107 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:41 pm

I wonder if this would make sense in a soft synth, a procedural interface. Basically, the ability
to set any available parameter to an expression as opposed to an explicit value. Say you could
set a filter cutoff with a For Loop which would be evaluated before anything else and supplied
as the parameters value for any functions coming afterwards.

MorpherX
KVRist
156 posts since 17 Feb, 2014

Post Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:52 pm

Urs wrote:

Hi,

two correspondenting suggestions / requests:

1. Would it be possible to offer the option draw free lines in a seque element ?
2. Chaining seque 1+2, 1+2+3 or 1+2+3+4. The advantage of such a feature would be that a user could have different speeds with one modulation.

Beside this, save/load of all 4 seques would be very helpfull.

Urs
u-he

Post Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:08 am

@MorpherX do you mean the Shape Sequencer?

Return to “u-he”