Stoned Ape Acid house

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
amrita
KVRer
16 posts since 29 Mar, 2006

Post Sun May 03, 2020 1:43 pm

Hello everybody, I hope you are all staying well and safe in these armageddon times. :) I am putting my latest track up here and asking for help/feedback on how to improve in terms of composition/arrangement and production. I am very much in the learning phase of music production (I can play instruments and understand basic music theory) and trying to get my head around the steep learning curve that modern software provides. I have been influenced by the recent study on quantity vs quality done with pottery students where it was shown those students who focused on producing more items actually ended up producing higher quality items than the student group who were asked to focus on making something high quality. I am trying to make one finished track a week (currently at track 17) and I hope when I get to about 100 I should be making something decent. I am also aware that we are all different and have different tastes but I think hopefully we can all learn from and support each other (in an ideal world).

This has been my biggest project yet to attempt to mix and arrange (50 tracks) which brings interesting challenges. Anyway, all comments are welcome...

Thank you in advance X

https://soundcloud.com/billy-baghead/stoned-ape

amrita
KVRer

Re: Stoned Ape Acid house

Post Mon May 04, 2020 12:42 am

Whoops some technical difficulties but the link works now... Thanks
https://soundcloud.com/billy-baghead/stoned-ape

MRT
KVRian
1150 posts since 3 Dec, 2002

Post Tue May 05, 2020 12:55 am

I cant really comment on the style of music, but I think it sound good you seem to have a solid grasp on what your doing. I was kind of let down by the ending or lack there of.

amrita
KVRer

Post Tue May 05, 2020 3:18 am

MRT wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:55 am
I cant really comment on the style of music, but I think it sound good you seem to have a solid grasp on what your doing. I was kind of let down by the ending or lack there of.
Hi, that's very interesting as I did not really think about a clear solid end and just let it fade out. When I used to play in bands every song used to end with lots of drum crashes. I will have a think and play about creating an ending but that's very useful. It will also inform any new piece of music I make. Thanks :)

As for the sound I still think it doesn't sound as good or polished as professional mixes and I am trying to work out why that is. Is it due to eq ing? (I still haven't got my head around how to use eqs to clean up frequency clashes). Is it due to not really understanding how to use compresssors (I kind of grasp the concept) but think there is a skill to using them properly and musically. Is it due to reverb and space in the mix?

I am still getting my head around buses and sends and trying to work out what effects to put on my master channel and in what order. I am also aware that what sounds good here in my little studio may sound very different when its played somewhere else so am trying to get my head around that too. Theres a lot to learn in this music production larkey that's for sure.

Anyway, thank you MRT for your very useful piece of advice.I feel I have learned something important :)

recursive one
KVRAF
4773 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Wed May 06, 2020 12:50 pm

Good!

Groovy and atmospheric. Not as melodic as your previous entry but very catchy in its own way. Nice pads and amazing 303 (the 303 always sounds great, doesn't it? :) )

Didn't spot any mixing issues in my room/monitors, it all sounded smooth to me. The ending was good too (except that it stopped too abruptly as if you had set the end maker wrong at export).

I think it was insprired by Vibrasphere, wasn't it? if not, you may want to listen to some Vibrasphere

Looking forward to hearing more of your stuff.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

amrita
KVRer

Post Thu May 07, 2020 8:18 am

Hey recursive
recursive one wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:50 pm
Good!

Groovy and atmospheric. Not as melodic as your previous entry but very catchy in its own way. Nice pads and amazing 303 (the 303 always sounds great, doesn't it? :) )

Didn't spot any mixing issues in my room/monitors, it all sounded smooth to me. The ending was good too (except that it stopped too abruptly as if you had set the end maker wrong at export).

I think it was insprired by Vibrasphere, wasn't it? if not, you may want to listen to some Vibrasphere

Looking forward to hearing more of your stuff.
Thanks again for your kind words of encouragement. I still feel I am in the learning how to use all this complicated software shit stage rather than making fully complete products and each track I make I learn more stuff so am playing around with different sounds and styles but groovy and atmospheric does it for me:)

Actually the 303 was partly inspired by listening to your tracks :) as they made me remember how much I loved the 303 sound and since I had the abl3 plug in gave me a chance to play with that. My feeling is that sound, rather like the drug itself, is best in small doses rather than on every track (or taken every day:). but I wholeheartedly agree that it is a great sound and I am amazed at how great the software sounds these days.

My track was nt inspired by Vibrasphere as I have never heard of them but I checked them out and I really like them now so have downloaded a bunch of tracks so thanks for that as well :) There is so much great music out there. My hope is one day I will be able to make something good so onwards and upwards as they say. Hope you and your family are all well.

Amrita

Return to “Music Cafe”