Dave Greenfield died

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:10 am That era is eminently forgettable, thank Dog it didn't last. La Folie and Feline were The Stranglers at their lowest ebb as far as I'm concerned. After The Raven, La Folie sounds like demos and out-takes from a decade before. (I think of the Meninblack album as more of a side-project, not part of the main canon.) At least Feline sounds like they meant to do it.

Mind you, I'm not big on Aural Sculptures or Dreamtime, either, but at least I can listen to those albums without tasting bile in the back of my throat.
If you don't have Man They Love to Hate in your list of best Stranglers songs, then we really don't have anything to talk about.

Also, this is a bigger picture thing, but I've never been and never will be one of those people that instantly doesn't like whatever a bands most popular songs are. The knee jerk hipster thing to think that someone isn't familiar with an artists canon because someone mentions their hit is amusing to me. Golden Brown is a great song! So is Nice and Sleazy, Ain't Nothin To It etc. Taste that bile BONES! :hihi:

Forgotten wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:35 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:26 am
AnX wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:03 am I only recognise the bass player from the stranglers
Baz Warne's the mackem slapheed on guitar and vocals
You're not a Geordie by any chance are you...? :hihi:
I may have been a season ticket holder at SJP in the past. :hihi:

Never again though* now we're swapping a worker-rights abusing owner for a human-rights abusing regime that turns foreign staff into slaves and journalists into sushi. :dog:

* ethics aside, moving from York to Hampshire made it slightly trickier too

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:02 pm
AnX wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:03 am I only recognise the bass player from the stranglers

Never again though* now we're swapping a worker-rights abusing owner for a human-rights abusing regime that turns foreign staff into slaves and journalists into sushi. :dog:

Well you can always go to Fratton Park now...

...hopefully you're not planning on going to St Mary's Stadium though...

I'm not gonna cry
Dave will meet this other guy...

Forgotten wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:37 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:02 pm

Well you can always go to Fratton Park now...

...hopefully you're not planning on going to St Mary's Stadium though...
I'm not going to switch support to another team if that's what you're saying. My interest in football just goes into a medical coma until something changes for the better.

Are you safe?

I was talking about Portsmouth, as that's where I was born...

You were born in a mouth?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Forgotten wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:55 pm I was talking about Portsmouth, as that's where I was born...
Yeah I got that. I haven't just moved btw, been down here since 2011 so been to Southsea and the Guildhall loads of times.I live and work in Southampton, but don't worry I haven't fallen in love with it.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:18 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:55 pm I was talking about Portsmouth, as that's where I was born...
Yeah I got that. I haven't just moved btw, been down here since 2011 so been to Southsea and the Guildhall loads of times.I live and work in Southampton, but don't worry I haven't fallen in love with it.
Good to hear you haven't gone over to the dark side... :hihi:

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:31 amI listened to the New Gold Dream album recently for the first time in ages and it still stands up. I know it's hip these days to big up the pre-NGD era above all else, but it was NGD and Sparkle in the Rain that got me into them so they are the albums for which I have the biggest soft spot.
I still listen to New Gold Dream now and then, but it's not a patch on Empires & Dance or Sons & Fascination. I don't mind Sparkle in the Rain, either, but it doesn't really sound like Simple Minds to me, it's some stadium rock band I barely recognise. When I first saw them live, the only song I had heard previously was Love Song, so their live set was a revelation to me. The tour coincided with the album release so I went and bought it the next day and I don't think it came off my turntable for 3 months.

I'd been the same with the Stranglers, I'd listened to Black & White non-stop for months after I first saw them. Maybe it is something about albums with "&" in the name?
machinesworking wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:20 pmGolden Brown is a great song! So is Nice and Sleazy, Ain't Nothin To It etc.
You've obviously never heard them perform it live. It sounds terrible outside the studio environment. But I was disappointed with it before it was a hit. It wasn't a simple reaction to its popularity, although it is a good illustration of why someone might not like a band's most popular song because it is such a departure from what had made them popular in the first place. Hugh explained it a bit in an interview at around that time. He said that when you are busting a gut and getting no recognition, it is very easy to be angry and for that to infuse your music but once you've had a bit of sustained success, as they had, it becomes difficult to maintain that anger. If you take the anger out of any music, I am likely not to enjoy it as much. As the great Johnny Rotten once sang, "anger is an energy".
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

deded
Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Still, 25 years later they were still playing this, they weren't playing anything off that album -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drOwv0Rq5JU

EDIT: Bugger! Wrong link. This is the correct one.
Last edited by BONES on Mon May 25, 2020 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:57 pm As the great Johnny Rotten once sang, "anger is an energy".
i know you like to keep facts in order, so...
john lydon actually.
johnny rotten was a character he played in a punk "act".

"ever get the feeling youve been cheated?"

vurt wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:02 pm johnny rotten was a character he played in a punk "boy band".
"ever get the feeling youve been cheated?"

:hihi:

:hihi:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”