Control hardware synths with iPad

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone do this? I have done a few experiments with triggering play/stop with iOS apps and sending MIDI sequences to hardware.

Need to take better look at how I can trigger multiple synths, but so many apps to go through...

Anyone else do this?

I've tried a few times with several different programs to varying degrees of success. I was trying to sequence my K2 and run a clock through to my M:S. I couldn't get it to work how I wanted it. Sequencing the K2 wasn't an issue. Getting the clock right wasn't working. Modstep came the closest. I haven't tried it since the last update. Gadget might be a good candidate - I haven't fooled with that. I think Fugue Machine did a good job. It's been a while. My iPad is a little long in the tooth so it may be a problem on that end. What are you trying to do? With what gear?

Check https://hexler.net/products/touchosc it may work for you.

I thought about trying this with AUM , but oddly AUM doesn't recognize all of the synths as something I can output MIDI to. Link to MIDI can send start/stop to the hardware and recognizes all the devices. It's just inconsistent across apps and I'm not sure why. I have Xequence and haven't tried that yet, but will do that soon.

Essentially I'd like to sequence more than one hardware device with MIDI generated by apps - start/stop information, MIDI notes, etc.

Yeah, I had issues with AUM too. Xequence worked well for me in the past. I haven't tried TouchOSC. Looks interesting.

TouchOSC is a bit of a pain to use as the interfaces have to be built. I'm after something simpler than that really.

If Xequence worked for you I'll try that. I've only used it to send MIDI to other apps, so need to check it out with hardware, and using it to pass MIDI to hardware from other apps.

Xequencer worked well for me. Let me know if you have any issues.

Thanks, I'll check out how it works and see if I can get a bunch of apps to trigger hardware through it.

Thanks, I'll check out how it works and see if I can get a bunch of apps to trigger hardware through it.
Not sure if you followed up with this, but I got Fugue to work fairly well with my KS and M:S. Modstep worked too, but it required more work. KRFT worked but it wouldn't sync the clock on my M:S. Same with Gadget, but that one is probs user error.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”