Roland Cloud - big change

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Roland Cloud

I just saw some new info on Roland Cloud. Among other things, they claim the ability to purchase instruments outright. https://www.rolandcloud.com

"Roland Cloud is down for maintenance" well that's new..... :P
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

New Membership Plans
Plus, you have the option of purchasing Lifetime Keys to your favorite Roland Cloud instruments
:hyper:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I was due two lifetime instruments this month. I hope that didn't go away! Not going to freak out about it and assume the worst. Glad they're offering lifetime keys. Just some ideas on pricing...

D-50: $149
Jupiter-8: $149
JX-3P: $129
TB-303: $149
JV-1080/XV-5080: $149
SRX Expansions: $69
System-1: $99

MAYBE THIS WILL SAVE YOU A CLICK.
Theres a new Zenology plugin and a couple of lower priced montly tiers.

Perpetual licenses for the following plugins are as follows;
SRX and SoundCanvas Instruments - $69
ProMars, SH101, SH2, System-1 - $99
JV1080, JX3P, System100, System8, XV5080, - $129
D50, Juno106, Jupiter8, TB303, TR808, TR909,- $149

The ULTIMATE tier is $19.99/mo, and includes everything.
The PRO Tier includes Zenology, Zenology Pro, but only the D50 and TR808 of the above list. (includes the bundle plugins too)
The lowest tier includes NONE of the above, only the new Zenology plugin (not pro)

breakdown here
https://www.rolandcloud.com/roland-account/memberships/

My thoughts? YIKES at the prices. For that money, I'd rather buy hardware!!

Seems like you could squeak by with just Zenology Pro, no? Or am I not understanding correctly? Zenology will get "model expansions" - so if there is an option to buy Zenology Pro outright, that seems like it may be ideal. Then pick and chose "model" expansions as they come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id_MDRWAmXk

Ok so I decided to install the Roland Cloud Manager on this system just to see what's it's all about.

*Sigh* the bloatware runs at startup. Not making it on to my studio computer.

Roland, just sell me a damn plugin. Don't bloat my system up with this crap...... :bang:

Roland 051120.png

EDIT: There is a way to turn off Load at Startup which should not be on by default but even then RCMservice.lnk still loads at startup.

I'm only interested in the D-50 but I'm not going to install 100 pounds of bloat for a five pound plugin.

Roland, if you ever decide to just sell plugins with a reasonable form of copy protection without all the bloat I'll be a customer but until then.....

Roland Cloud uninstalled....moving on..... :arrow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I just installed Zenology, and I'm impressed. It basically brings the entire older Roland sample soundsets into one plugin, with good search and virtually instant loading of presets. The main plugin includes the XV-5080 sounds, and there are 15 expansions which seem to mimic the SRX series (I checked Orchestral, and both patch names and sounds seemed identical).

If I'm reading it correctly, if purchased outright, each Zenology expansion is $20 (vs $69 for the SRX plugins), and the Roland site implies Zenology Lite (which I haven't seen yet) is free. That could mean all XV+SRX sounds for $300 lifetime.

where to ?? Arturia V Collection 8 ?? ;-)
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

AcrossTheSky wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:23 am where to ?? Arturia V Collection 8 ?? ;-)
Exactly. The individual Roland plugins are still overpriced, but if they'd all been available via a $300 bundle then they'd potentially clean up. Offer existing Roland Cloud subscribers something like a $100 upgrade option to transfer over and they'd not be annoyed.
But, of course, they aren't doing that because they want to keep the subscription model option.
Zenology Pro sounds promising, will probably pick that up when it's available (the video in the OP seemed to suggest it isn't available yet) and maybe that's kind of the Roland 'V Collection' style option we are all after. The current non-pro Zenology being an 'Analog Lab' equivalent.

Zenology's UI is very reminiscent of the UVI Synth Anthology 2 if anyone's used that - lots of circles.
Last edited by WatchTheGuitar on Tue May 12, 2020 8:57 am, edited 5 times in total.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

thenumber23 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:28 am I just saw some new info on Roland Cloud. Among other things, they claim the ability to purchase instruments outright. https://www.rolandcloud.com
That would be a big step up.

SteveWZ wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:49 am
thenumber23 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:28 am I just saw some new info on Roland Cloud. Among other things, they claim the ability to purchase instruments outright. https://www.rolandcloud.com
That would be a big step up.
Pretty sure this means that the plugins will still use their online cloud garbage and have to be connected constantly. So it wont be like with other plugins you can buy outright.
No signature here!

still can't migrate my system-1 plugout to roland account - gtfh roland

Always been interested in the zen core engine , since it's an updated pcm engine+ va osc's , va -filter , osc sync , x-mod etc...but couldn't justify the cost since I already have an integra .
THe zenology -pro looks interesting ( fll editing capabilities )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

While i am currently not subscribed i was subscribed a long time some years ago and got 2 liftetime licenses for the Jupiter-8 and System-8 plugins.

I just installed the new Zenology plugin which at Windows only seems to be available as a VST3 plugin while older plugins also were available as VST2. Maybe this will change to "VST3 only" with upcoming updates of the plugins. Luckily my main host Live 10 since v10.1 could also use VST3 plugins.

Without a current subscription it looks like you get a "Lite" version of Zenology without advanced patch editing (which should come with the Pro version) and with only a single Presets bank available that includes 182 presets (where the last 6 seem to be Drum kits). 6 more banks are installed but not available in this free "Lite" version.

Limited ediiting is possible with 5 macro parameters per preset and you can also select different effects in the FX section. Saving user presets does not seem to be possible in this free version.
It is possible to deactivate the Mono mode so you can use monophonic presets polyphonically. Activating a legato mode is possible too.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”