Writing Challenge, Track Two -- Dance Away the COVID

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KBSoundSmith
KVRian
835 posts since 6 Jul, 2009

Post Tue May 12, 2020 8:40 am

SECOND TRACK

Just finished the second track in my writing challenge, making this my second ever dance track. I spent a little more time on technical experiments than in the last one -- some good, some bad, all instructive for the future. Basic premise of the challenge is one week to write, then post regardless if satisfied with the creative or technical work -- get it done, the point being to learn how dance music "works."

https://soundcloud.com/kbsoundsmith/dan ... -the-covid

Enjoy, and feedback welcome.

Bansaw
KVRian
1076 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Re: Writing Challenge, Track Two -- Dance Away the COVID

Post Wed May 13, 2020 4:22 pm

Its Ok. Long intro. For me, a song (or track) is supposed to take the listener somewhere. Its like a story.
This sounds like its repeating the same paragraph over and over again., like a loop. The listener gets bored quickly.
Its a solid start though. I am sure you could take it somewhere.

wagtunes
KVRAF
19077 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Thu May 14, 2020 12:13 pm

After reading Bansaw's comments, I wasn't even going to bother listening because he is usually spot on with this analysis. This one is no exception. I was bored a minute in. Reminds me of the Deadmau5 video for Master Class where he says something like "This is the bane of electronic music...Hit one note and put a dance kick on it and say hey, I'm a trance DJ."

While this isn't quite that bad, it doesn't really go anywhere and it's way too long. The only thing that saves it a little is that the arrangement does seem to progress somewhat. But musically, it's pretty blah.

The mix itself is decent, so there's that.

At 3:30 I had to turn it off.

KBSoundSmith
KVRian
835 posts since 6 Jul, 2009

Post Thu May 14, 2020 1:45 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:13 pm
After reading Bansaw's comments, I wasn't even going to bother listening because he is usually spot on with this analysis. This one is no exception. I was bored a minute in. Reminds me of the Deadmau5 video for Master Class where he says something like "This is the bane of electronic music...Hit one note and put a dance kick on it and say hey, I'm a trance DJ."

While this isn't quite that bad, it doesn't really go anywhere and it's way too long. The only thing that saves it a little is that the arrangement does seem to progress somewhat. But musically, it's pretty blah.

The mix itself is decent, so there's that.

At 3:30 I had to turn it off.
Thank you for the 3:30 you spent listening. Also, you wrote "The mix itself is decent, so there's that." Well then, mission accomplished. As I wrote in my post "I spent a little more time on technical experiments than in the last one." Reason being someone elsewhere critiqued my last track saying "I know you said getting the mix perfect isn't your goal here, but in dance music a good mix is often what..." so I put more emphasis here this time.

Now I do sincerely appreciate the feedback. But I will push back and defend my work here a bit. I'm going to quote myself from what I wrote regarding the last track I posted: "I agree with a lot of your criticism, particularly about length and lack of variation. This was done knowingly, since I was mirroring a reference track -- if it had 32 bars of introduction, then so did I."

Here is the reference track for the track for this thread. I did the same again for this track, mirroring its structure and ideas closely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17pkksihtQg

I'm only two tracks into writing dance music. At the moment, I am 100% uninterested in attempting to be original or flexing my musical muscles. I know next to nothing about dance music, so I'm working off of the simplest models I can in order to find out how dance music functions. I frankly think some of my reference tracks aren't very interesting -- I don't particularly care either. It's easy to hear how they are structured, what they do or don't do at various points. I hear a filter sweep? I also filter sweep. They do 32 bars of unvaried introduction? I do 32 bars of unvaried introduction. I am attempting to learn the techniques and thought processes, as well as explore what I do or don't like about various styles of dance music and methods of working.

So, while your musical assessments are noted, they are beside the point at this point in time. But I do, again, sincerely appreciate (and mostly agree with) them, because it also gives me an idea of what a listener may expect or not expect when listening to a track. I have no idea how representative or liked/disliked the types of references I chose are, so while they may be useful as models for techniques, obviously they are musically uninteresting to the average listening. I'll keep that in mind for when I move on to more original work.

Now, it's also my bad for posting in haste and not mentioning all this upfront... I didn't think most people would bother listening if there was a wall of text first. So I'll be more explicit about my goals and approaches to future tracks, so no one's time is wasted if they are instead expecting more seasoned, original work rather than technical and stylistic explorations.

wagtunes
KVRAF
19077 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Thu May 14, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks for clarifying. Actually, I find most people into this genre seem to like this "music that goes nowhere" stuff as long as the mix is good. So your efforts here may be greeted more enthusiastically by those really into this stuff. I honestly don't know but won't be surprised if you get a few "hey man, that was great"s.

Anyway, keep learning. That's how you learn. It's how I learned. I tried to copy people. Eventually, I developed my own style(s).

Spring Goose
KVRian
586 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Fri May 15, 2020 6:36 am

The bass sounds good.

Funky bass, strange chords. Quirky.

I think the genre is house music / deep house.

These are some of the things which came to mind.

Return to “Music Cafe”