Learning the Piano

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"for a lot of..."
No True Scotsman, tho ;)

"never really viewed the piano and guitar as being tremendously different from each other in [...] even a musical sense"

Well, with me piano is pretty idiomatic and the sound of it, the history of it, and my awareness of that and all the music I have experienced leads me to places that another sound world just doesn't. I was a guitarist for >40yrs so I know enough from that to get out from under idiom on the electric, which doesn't necessarily even connote guitaristics... while w. the classic guitar I'm not going to get away from its idiom hardly.

No, for me the sound of the instruments leads me, into its world. It's writing for a character, you have a backstory informing character and disposition, and literally how it speaks: with an accent, with a personality, a story behind it

When I signed up for "secondary piano" during my one year at SFCM I got a guy that didn't have time for the gig who just gave us Hanon, and we were to practice scales super-rigorously. I dropped it, speaking of not having the time.
My idea of what to do was get Bartok Mikrokosmos which is graded in tiers, and the exercises are specific musical ideas.
I didn't become any pianist but I can write authentically pianistic.

Piano (the trad. old style bulky) and guitar are not different in the sense that they both are string instruments.
And that is about it.

Everything else is tremendously different between the two.

one thing about the piano that is different than many instruments is it is all there laid out right in front of you, one reason why I think it's a good instrument for children to cut their teeth on. Guitar you got six strings, a piano you have 230 strings but each note has it's own piano key. Guitar you have to understand there are the same notes on different strings, you have to figure it out sometimes (more at first) things are combined in an auditory state (a chord is heard as harmonious, but no real visual clue to read for instance). Where a piano the keys and notes are laid out in front of you in a logical, linear, left tor right manner, a combination is far more obvious visually than with guitar and especially if you get bluedad to tune your pianni it will of course sound harmonious.

This actually is my piano handicap, people see my keyboards and ask me to play piano for them...I am not a player, I write with the keyboard, yes I play passages or even an entire song but it is not my skill...I wish 20 years ago when I was thinking about this I had of got a piano teacher, I worked in music stores with many teachers :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I am a mutant apparently... :shrug:

im saying nothing :hihi:

Heh, i wouldn't even consider myself a good musician, but a lot of things are handled automatically for me, where that does'nt seem to be the case for many. :shrug:

Return to “Music Theory”