Need help recreating this kind of oldschool punchy bass (donk-like)

How to make that sound...
User avatar
DJErmac
KVRian
1050 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Fri May 15, 2020 5:09 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to get something between this bass sound (you can hear it right from the beginning) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUnu-u-XVgU

and this one (appears from 0'28 and stays for a VERY long time) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kJ15rD726o

This kind of bass may seem simple, but actually it's very, very, very punchy, and that's where I think I don't get it. Actually I have no clue how to get any close. I've never heard any preset that sounds close enough to my ears so I could edit it. Most of the time I have no problem to create the sounds I'm trying to make.

I have successfully sampled it from the second song, but that's not what I'm after.

I own the most common synths (Avenger, Rapid, Dune 1,2&3, Falcon, Sylenth1, Massive&X, Thorn, Icarus, ElectraX, Gladiator, Synthmaster&One, Harmor, Lush101, Zebra2, Hive2...

Thanks a lot in advance for any help ! :tu:

User avatar
DJErmac
KVRian
1050 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Re: Need help recreating this kind of oldschool punchy bass (donk-like)

Post Fri May 15, 2020 6:07 pm

Actually I think I just found a way to mimic the second bass sound by layering a regular synth bass sound (filtered) with a mute guitar sound. Sounds kind of close. Needs adjustments but maybe there's something on this path.

User avatar
JO512
KVRist
120 posts since 9 Nov, 2018 from Colorado

Re: Need help recreating this kind of oldschool punchy bass (donk-like)

Post Tue May 19, 2020 10:54 am

I recreated it almost exactly in Serum. It can be done with most any synth. Basically, I used a very soft saw (no high partials) as the oscillator (you could filter a hard saw). I then used an envelope to modulate the coarse pitch such that it starts high and sweeps down very quickly to the final pitch. Instant attack. Short decay. No hold. No sustain. That's not for the amp envelope. That's only the envelope modulating pitch. Next, I added a low pass filter, whose cutoff is modulated by the same envelope in roughly the same way. This filter has a bit of resonance. Then, for even more punch, push it hard into a limiter with soft clipping. You might then add a bit of chorus, or use unisons in your primary oscillator, to get a wider and more present sound.

You might experiment with using envelopes to very quickly sweep the cutoff of a bandpass as well, playing with various degrees of resonance.

User avatar
DJErmac
KVRian
1050 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Re: Need help recreating this kind of oldschool punchy bass (donk-like)

Post Wed May 20, 2020 12:48 pm

JO512 wrote: ↑
Tue May 19, 2020 10:54 am
I recreated it almost exactly in Serum. It can be done with most any synth. Basically, I used a very soft saw (no high partials) as the oscillator (you could filter a hard saw). I then used an envelope to modulate the coarse pitch such that it starts high and sweeps down very quickly to the final pitch. Instant attack. Short decay. No hold. No sustain. That's not for the amp envelope. That's only the envelope modulating pitch. Next, I added a low pass filter, whose cutoff is modulated by the same envelope in roughly the same way. This filter has a bit of resonance. Then, for even more punch, push it hard into a limiter with soft clipping. You might then add a bit of chorus, or use unisons in your primary oscillator, to get a wider and more present sound.

You might experiment with using envelopes to very quickly sweep the cutoff of a bandpass as well, playing with various degrees of resonance.
Thank you very, very much, I'll try this !! :tu:

User avatar
DJErmac
KVRian
1050 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Re: Need help recreating this kind of oldschool punchy bass (donk-like)

Post Wed May 20, 2020 12:50 pm

It seems the envelope modulating pitch is what I didn't get AT ALL here.

User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
6934 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Re: Need help recreating this kind of oldschool punchy bass (donk-like)

Post Wed May 20, 2020 12:57 pm

Ah, it appears you're not actually asking about my bass playing then... :cry:

But if you were - one of these;

rjt60b-4.jpg
Fiesta Red, I'll have you know


Sorry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
64950 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Need help recreating this kind of oldschool punchy bass (donk-like)

Post Wed May 20, 2020 1:01 pm

not pink?

User avatar
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
27405 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Re: Need help recreating this kind of oldschool punchy bass (donk-like)

Post Wed May 20, 2020 1:27 pm

not a bass :?

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
64950 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Need help recreating this kind of oldschool punchy bass (donk-like)

Post Wed May 20, 2020 1:38 pm

thecontrolcentre wrote: ↑
Wed May 20, 2020 1:27 pm
not a bass :?
revelation bass vi in fiesta red (not pink).
also comes in a lovely vibrant purple :love:

should order that...

User avatar
JO512
KVRist
120 posts since 9 Nov, 2018 from Colorado

Re: Need help recreating this kind of oldschool punchy bass (donk-like)

Post Wed May 20, 2020 2:04 pm

DJErmac wrote: ↑
Wed May 20, 2020 12:50 pm
It seems the envelope modulating pitch is what I didn't get AT ALL here.
Are you now getting a result that you are pleased with?

User avatar
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
27405 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Re: Need help recreating this kind of oldschool punchy bass (donk-like)

Post Thu May 21, 2020 2:59 pm

vurt wrote: ↑
Wed May 20, 2020 1:38 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: ↑
Wed May 20, 2020 1:27 pm
not a bass :?
revelation bass vi in fiesta red (not pink).
also comes in a lovely vibrant purple :love:

should order that...
I had no idea. Looks very nice (not too pricey either) :tu:

Nothing wrong with pink. I used to have a pink paisley pattern tokai tele ... it was beautiful

User avatar
DJErmac
KVRian
1050 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Re: Need help recreating this kind of oldschool punchy bass (donk-like)

Post Fri May 22, 2020 2:51 pm

JO512 wrote: ↑
Wed May 20, 2020 2:04 pm
DJErmac wrote: ↑
Wed May 20, 2020 12:50 pm
It seems the envelope modulating pitch is what I didn't get AT ALL here.
Are you now getting a result that you are pleased with?
I've just tried and... the answer is no. :scared:

I can't get anything better than this :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1urTlp ... DJ8-h-cEHO
(which is, imho, not even close, it's like a toy version)

It's not like some post-production is missing, it's not about a compressor or a limiter, it's miles away from the original... What is missing ? :(

CHOOS
KVRist
476 posts since 3 Nov, 2010

Re: Need help recreating this kind of oldschool punchy bass (donk-like)

Post Sat May 23, 2020 12:51 am

OK this is far from perfect but you can tweak it afterwards.

The unison in Charlatan runs free to If you make something similar in a synth that has retrigger you'll get a more consistent sounding bass.

I would also layer the attack with some percussion or maybe a hat or whatever.

Add some distortion and whatever else in post to fit your tune

https://vimeo.com/421857622

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
64950 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Need help recreating this kind of oldschool punchy bass (donk-like)

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:51 am

thecontrolcentre wrote: ↑
Thu May 21, 2020 2:59 pm
vurt wrote: ↑
Wed May 20, 2020 1:38 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: ↑
Wed May 20, 2020 1:27 pm
not a bass :?
revelation bass vi in fiesta red (not pink).
also comes in a lovely vibrant purple :love:

should order that...
I had no idea. Looks very nice (not too pricey either) :tu:

Nothing wrong with pink. I used to have a pink paisley pattern tokai tele ... it was beautiful
british company, make some nice guitars, and yup, not crazy expensive either 8)

User avatar
JO512
KVRist
120 posts since 9 Nov, 2018 from Colorado

Re: Need help recreating this kind of oldschool punchy bass (donk-like)

Post Sat May 23, 2020 6:39 am

CHOOS wrote: ↑
Sat May 23, 2020 12:51 am
https://vimeo.com/421857622

I'm not getting any audio on your video.

Return to β€œSound Design”