Arturia OB-Xa V

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Reefius
KVRian
975 posts since 7 Dec, 2013 from Earth

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:46 pm

mholloway wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:36 pm
I am still totally confused by your logic, wagtunes. You found a video of the OB-xa. You liked the way it sounds. You then (and right then, apparently) concluded 'Arturia's emulation can't sound like that,' even though you never even attempted to make it sound like that. You just...decided it can't, and declared it here in a forum. Then, when challenged, you say it's on the other people to 'prove it' by recreating those sounds, even though it's you, not them, insisting that it can't be done, yet somehow it's not on you to prove it. Huh. Weird, man.

Point being, usually when someone makes a declaration, it's on that person to provide some evidence of the declaration, rather than just stating it. But you did not do this. Then when someone questioned the declaration you provided no evidence for, you said it's their responsibility to prove or disprove your declaration. That's uh..not how it works. At least, not in civilized discourse.

Oh right, I'm at KVR, d'oh.
You must be new here. Wags is always right.

:P

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
19077 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Arturia OB-Xa V

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:51 pm

mholloway wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:36 pm
I am still totally confused by your logic, wagtunes. You found a video of the OB-xa. You liked the way it sounds. You then (and right then, apparently) concluded 'Arturia's emulation can't sound like that,' even though you never even attempted to make it sound like that. You just...decided it can't, and declared it here in a forum. Then, when challenged, you say it's on the other people to 'prove it' by recreating those sounds, even though it's you, not them, insisting that it can't be done, yet somehow it's not on you to prove it. Huh. Weird, man.

Point being, usually when someone makes a declaration, it's on that person to provide some evidence of the declaration, rather than just stating it. But you did not do this. Then when someone questioned the declaration you provided no evidence for, you said it's their responsibility to prove or disprove your declaration. That's uh..not how it works. At least, not in civilized discourse.

Oh right, I'm at KVR, d'oh.
Well, I don't have OB-Xa V to prove anything. And even if I downloaded a demo (assuming one exists) and I posted an example showing it can't do what a hardware OB-Xa can do, someone will simply say "Well, that's because you don't have the skills to make it sound like a hardware OB-Xa."

So what's the point? It would just be a waste of my time.

That's why somebody proving me wrong by showing me it CAN sound like a hardware OB-Xa is the only way to prove me wrong. And then I'll shut up.

But right now, going by the videos I've seen and heard from both the hardware and software, the OB-Xa TO MY EARS falls apart on high res.

If you have a problem with that, prove me wrong.

Examigan
KVRAF
5230 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Re: Arturia OB-Xa V

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:59 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:51 pm
mholloway wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:36 pm
I am still totally confused by your logic, wagtunes. You found a video of the OB-xa. You liked the way it sounds. You then (and right then, apparently) concluded 'Arturia's emulation can't sound like that,' even though you never even attempted to make it sound like that. You just...decided it can't, and declared it here in a forum. Then, when challenged, you say it's on the other people to 'prove it' by recreating those sounds, even though it's you, not them, insisting that it can't be done, yet somehow it's not on you to prove it. Huh. Weird, man.

Point being, usually when someone makes a declaration, it's on that person to provide some evidence of the declaration, rather than just stating it. But you did not do this. Then when someone questioned the declaration you provided no evidence for, you said it's their responsibility to prove or disprove your declaration. That's uh..not how it works. At least, not in civilized discourse.

Oh right, I'm at KVR, d'oh.
Well, I don't have OB-Xa V to prove anything. And even if I downloaded a demo (assuming one exists) and I posted an example showing it can't do what a hardware OB-Xa can do, someone will simply say "Well, that's because you don't have the skills to make it sound like a hardware OB-Xa."
In case you want to check it out:
Click on "Get Free Demo"
https://www.arturia.com/products/analog ... v/overview

User avatar
TheMaestro
KVRist
308 posts since 26 Jan, 2020

Re: Arturia OB-Xa V

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:13 pm

I'm not a sound designer, so someone good at that can surely get closer than this.
But it's an indication.
https://sndup.net/3bdf/Arturia+OB-Xz.wav
If the Earth was flat, cats would have pushed everything off the edge a long time ago.

User avatar
TheMaestro
KVRist
308 posts since 26 Jan, 2020

Re: Arturia OB-Xa V

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:15 pm

And this sucker can scream. It'll blow your...ears.
If the Earth was flat, cats would have pushed everything off the edge a long time ago.

chk071
KVRAF
24030 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Arturia OB-Xa V

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:16 pm

TheMaestro wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:13 pm
I'm not a sound designer, so someone good at that can surely get closer than this.
But it's an indication.
https://sndup.net/3bdf/Arturia+OB-Xz.wav
I'm not even sure what you tried to replicate there...
Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
19077 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Arturia OB-Xa V

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:17 pm

TheMaestro wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:13 pm
I'm not a sound designer, so someone good at that can surely get closer than this.
But it's an indication.
https://sndup.net/3bdf/Arturia+OB-Xz.wav
In all seriousness, if you really think this sounds as good as the video I posted then I don't know what to tell you. The whole top end of the rez is missing. Even I can hear it and my ears aren't that great.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
19077 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Arturia OB-Xa V

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:18 pm

chk071 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:16 pm
TheMaestro wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:13 pm
I'm not a sound designer, so someone good at that can surely get closer than this.
But it's an indication.
https://sndup.net/3bdf/Arturia+OB-Xz.wav
I'm not even sure what you tried to replicate there...
I think the patch at 7:50, but I'm not sure.

User avatar
Vectorman
KVRian
1310 posts since 6 May, 2005 from Michigan, USA

Re: Arturia OB-Xa V

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:19 pm

Examigan wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:47 pm
I think Geddy may have used the OB-X first and then got a OB-Xa later for Signals. Not 100% sure though.
Here is the Tom Sawyer preset in OP-X Pro II with the effects turned off with just one note being played. Not that it has anything to do with resonance of course, but that OB-6 video showed him playing 3 or 4 notes at once:

https://soundcloud.com/examigan/op-x-pro-ii-version
Yep, that's right...OB-X on Moving Pictures, OB-Xa not added until Signals. Everything I've read has pointed to the "Tom Sawyer" sweep being the OB-X in unison mode.

IIRC, in the vid where someone was trying to do that sweep on an OB-6, he was having to improvise because the OB-6 has no parameter for per-voice envelope time offset (the OB-6 envelopes are software and all exhibit identical behavior in the absence of any slop or offset parameter). Of course part of the effect of the TS sweep is the OB-X unison mode with multiple voices firing away with inherent discrepancies between envelope times and filter tracking on each voice card. So to approximate that on the OB-6, the video poster turned off key tracking so every key was playing the same note, then played multiple keys trying to introduce some manual envelope offset by hitting them at very slightly different times.

User avatar
TheMaestro
KVRist
308 posts since 26 Jan, 2020

Re: Arturia OB-Xa V

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:38 pm

chk071 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:16 pm
TheMaestro wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:13 pm
I'm not a sound designer, so someone good at that can surely get closer than this.
But it's an indication.
https://sndup.net/3bdf/Arturia+OB-Xz.wav
I'm not even sure what you tried to replicate there...
17:31
If the Earth was flat, cats would have pushed everything off the edge a long time ago.

User avatar
TheMaestro
KVRist
308 posts since 26 Jan, 2020

Re: Arturia OB-Xa V

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:41 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:17 pm
TheMaestro wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:13 pm
I'm not a sound designer, so someone good at that can surely get closer than this.
But it's an indication.
https://sndup.net/3bdf/Arturia+OB-Xz.wav
In all seriousness, if you really think this sounds as good as the video I posted then I don't know what to tell you. The whole top end of the rez is missing. Even I can hear it and my ears aren't that great.
In all seriousness, I didn't say it was as good as the video. Quite the opposite. But it's a start, and it's an indication of what can be done. The resonance is there, and the top end can be done. Just not by me atm.
But you know all about this synth, don't you. Because you watched the 2 Arturia quick overview vids. Good job.
If the Earth was flat, cats would have pushed everything off the edge a long time ago.

PAK
KVRian
885 posts since 20 Feb, 2003

Re: Arturia OB-Xa V

Post Sat May 23, 2020 5:25 pm

chk071 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:52 pm
TheMaestro wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:50 pm
Because Arturia’s resonance doesn’t scream like a bitch, and they think the other one will.
Actually, the OB-Xa's resonance doesn't scream "like a bitch", so, it would be quite a disaster if the Synapse emu did.
That would be a job for the X-Mod. OP-X Pro's X-Mod can actually do some great screams, cats and other "vocal like" noises with it ;) (OBXA V won't do that.. )

I was curious if OBXA V could do more basic "vocally" pads at least, so I tried making the "Love Like Blood" pad, and it does it pretty well..
LoveLikeBlood.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnpwuRlXbhk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PAK
KVRian
885 posts since 20 Feb, 2003

Re: Arturia OB-Xa V

Post Sat May 23, 2020 6:06 pm

fmr wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:15 pm
I bet that if he had an OB-Xa and the OB 6 side by side, they would sound quite different as well. :shrug:
Yep. But there was already a good OBXA example posted of where Arturia's code falls down. In fairness, it's fairly likely that Synapse's code will fail here too. But, if Arturia are serious about improvements, it'd be nice if they'd implement something beyond the present vanilla resonance model. (At the 5:39 mark)
chk071 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:37 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBZrAcaTTqE

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
19077 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Arturia OB-Xa V

Post Sat May 23, 2020 7:05 pm

PAK wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:06 pm
fmr wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:15 pm
I bet that if he had an OB-Xa and the OB 6 side by side, they would sound quite different as well. :shrug:
Yep. But there was already a good OBXA example posted of where Arturia's code falls down. In fairness, it's fairly likely that Synapse's code will fail here too. But, if Arturia are serious about improvements, it'd be nice if they'd implement something beyond the present vanilla resonance model. (At the 5:39 mark)
chk071 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:37 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBZrAcaTTqE
Well, if both fail, that saves me a lot of money.

User avatar
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
9015 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Re: Arturia OB-Xa V

Post Sat May 23, 2020 7:24 pm

Image

Return to “Instruments”