Massive X 1.4 update!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive X Quarantine - Massive X Presets

I'm not sure what DAW you're using, but I haven't used plugin preset browsers for anything but browsing pre-made presets for years. If I find something I like (or more generally make something) I save it as a DAW preset. Added benefit is that I can save the gain staging and effects along with it. I use Bitwig, which has a great preset browser and since it is in my DAW it is the same browser for everything. Doesn't sound like this is helpful, but I'm just presenting a different perspective. I can't think of a single plugin of any time that has a good preset management system internally.

Doesn't NI have that NKS stuff it makes such a big deal about? How does that figure into this mess?
I hate signatures too.

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:50 am Doesn't NI have that NKS stuff it makes such a big deal about? How does that figure into this mess?
In the case of Massive X, the NKS presets just have the 16 macros and nothing else. For good reason though — there are way too many controls, and Massive X also has many swappable modules that each have different sets of controls. Everything that's underlined can be clicked to bring up a menu, and in many cases the option you select from that menu changes the controls around it. NKS is simply not dynamic enough to handle all that, so when designing a preset you have 16 macros available as performance controls, and those are what you can access on NKS hardware.
Stormchild

skottish wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:44 am I contacted NI about the preset browser, because it's really, really bad and I can't work with it in any sane way. The response was:
Thanks for contacting Native Instruments.
Unfortunately it is not planned in the near future. I will forward your rightful comments to the developers team.
Good to know... that was my assumption. For user and 3rd party presets, I wouldn't call the MX shoebox a browser. It is really peculiar how MX managed to go backwards in a bunch of ways.

I think they have KK as a solution. Personally, I don't like to use KK, but I might have to use it if it's the future to manage NI presets (Synapse Audio also depends on it as a solution).
Well, maybe in every project I load one instance of KK and make it as a browser-track then load those synths on their own tracks when I locate a preset I need (Massive X, Reaktor synths and SA synths at least).

Is it really surprising? For me MX is abandonware. I don't expect any major update besides fixing OS compatibility issues maybe.

pixel85 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:57 am For me MX is abandonware.
NI usually is in for the long haul given the updates for many NI synths over the years.
Reaktor, for example, has come a long way since the beginning.

Before Massive X was Massive, this is not a new synth and has evolved over many years.
It will be around (and updated) for years to come.

AudioAlien wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:35 am
pixel85 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:57 am For me MX is abandonware.
NI usually is in for the long haul given the updates for many NI synths over the years.
Reaktor, for example, has come a long way since the beginning.

Before Massive X was Massive, this is not a new synth and has evolved over many years.
It will be around (and updated) for years to come.
Except synths like Absynth, FM8, Massive and other effect plugins that they abandoned over the years?
A few posts above it's mentioned that they're not going to even update the browser of MX - the biggest request from the community. Do you really believe that they will bring anything good to MX if they don't even care about the most requested stuff?
If they don't give a damn about the browser then we can forget about other requested features.

Native Instruments is not the same company that they were in the past. Now it's just Maschine + Expansions. Maybe in next 7 years they will update MX with new skin, like GR6.

Ps. MX is not an update from Massive. It's completely new synth with just similar name.

EnGee wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:02 am I think they have KK as a solution. Personally, I don't like to use KK, but I might have to use it if it's the future to manage NI presets (Synapse Audio also depends on it as a solution).
It's not a solution because it is not possible for users to create their own banks in KK.

NI can already create presets that have bank information and tags for their own preset packs for MX so they have a working solution for this already, they just want to keep it to themselves to keep control over the MX preset market.

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:09 am
EnGee wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:02 am I think they have KK as a solution. Personally, I don't like to use KK, but I might have to use it if it's the future to manage NI presets (Synapse Audio also depends on it as a solution).
It's not a solution because it is not possible for users to create their own banks in KK.
Damn! Do you know if this is the case also with Maschine software?
NI can already create presets that have bank information and tags for their own preset packs for MX so they have a working solution for this already, they just want to keep it to themselves to keep control over the MX preset market.
It is possible. Although I really don't understand such policies! Just try to make the product as good as possible and move on instead of connecting the product to future expansions and to another product (KK -> Maschine)! Those greedy restrictions are doing harm much more than good. Anyway, I'm glad that they didn't kill the original Massive.

Why so much fuzz about the preset browser? Who uses presets still? Have kids not learnt the lesson?

Tweak it print it, Tweak it print it, Tweak it print it + harder better faster stronger

What if you don't have a printer? :scared:

recursive one wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:50 pm
Sinisterbr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:33 pm And, more importantly, the core sound: I'm sorry, but IMO Vital doesn't hold a candle to MX.
This!

And this is still the most important thing.

I was quite enthusiastic about Vital at first because I liked the GUI and the workflow and it was free and all, but I found that aside from some very specific kinds of patches (mostly very experimental and abstract ones, which are supposed to sound kinda weird and unnatural) I don't really like its sound.

MX is absolutely one of the best sounding software synths out there
This! +1 Same feelings.
Massive X is one of the best sounding synths if not the best right now, including some great presets. It's warm and phat the opposite of Vital, IMO...

anoise wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:41 am What if you don't have a printer? :scared:
Then you learn how audio recording works.

I agree with the above. It is the ‘best sounding’ core sound for a plugin.

If they could merge Pigments 2 (WT import, sample import / granular) with MX then I would be ultra happy. It would be my ultimate synth. I use now a lot of these features in P2 but I prefer the sound of MX.
Unfortunately, such grand features will never become part of MX.

Recently I did a test with very fast LFO on the filter with high resonance. No other plugin was able to get such clean sound at higher speeds (not to mention that many of them can't get even more than 30-200Hz speed). Pigments 2 like many others sounds like sonic diarrhea when LFO speed is getting faster, even U-he synths (Hive 2, Repro) couldn't get anywhere close. Using Osc as LFO in MX is simply great.

Return to “Instruments”