buy and sell

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

glad to see a fairly active used product marketplace. A lot of folks cant pay
sky hi prices for stuff. Most folks here are hobbyists I would guess.
Can someone list the typical steps for buying used software here...?
Is it mostly payPal? I see most companies allow license transfer...thats great..
Is Steinberg good on that?? I would like to find a used version of Halion or older Omnisphere... didnt see any listed..looking for hi fidelity sample synth sounds to use in Cubase..

Yeah, Paypal is almost universal. It provides some degree of proof and protection both ways.

As for hobbyists, probably a lot are. Some might not be. Hard to tell, really.

You can check each company's license transfer policy on their site, typically. Also, there's a list of those things in the Marketplace forum itself. Worth a look.

Let me give you a little tip about the buy and sell forum.
Always check the "Feedback" thread and search the name of the person you will be buying from. It's easy to see who's honest and generally what people are up to in there. Of course someone may be new to buying and selling on KVR and their name may not be in there and that doesn't mean they're not trust worthy. It's just a good bit of info to have though.
Also check their post history. If someone creates a new account just to sell something, that's always a little fishy to me.
Anyway, good luck!

Here's a little step-by-step guide since I've purchased a few things lately:

1 — Use the advanced search to find what you're looking for, using the following settings:

- Keyword
- Forum: Sell & Buy
- Search within: First topics of posts only

This will give you clean results that are easy to scan.

2 — Look for postings made in the past two months. For any that interest you, look at the thread and find the date of the last "bump" post. This will give you an idea of whether the item is still for sale.

3 — For any item you're interested in, research the license transfer terms. A lot of companies have license transfer fees (Plugin Alliance, Waves, anyone who uses iLok), some require sending an email to the company, others are simple. Often license transfers are a little complicated—like for instance Plugin Alliance has a dynamic discount based on how many licenses you're transferring, and iLok is $25 for one license and $50 for 2 or more.

When you're negotiating a price, have transfer fees in mind. Find out: will the seller pay for the transfer fee, or not?

4 — Check that the buyer is legitimate. I go by a few different metrics:

- Have they had an account for a long time?
- Do they have over 50 posts or so?
- Can I find posts with buyers or sellers thanking them for a good transaction? (This is usually in the "feedback" thread, but I just click their profile name and scan through recent posts.)

5 — Message the user and make an offer. A few pro-tips about this:

- Make it clear that your intention is to purchase. The next step will be that they confirm your offer and send you their PayPal email address. The simpler you can make this process, the better. That said, people may be interested in chatting—I've never tried!
- If you want to buy multiple items, you can often strike a deal.
- Something that's worked for me before when it's time-sensitive: send them your PayPal email address and ask them to send a request—this way I get a notification on my phone when the request comes in.

6 — Thank the seller and leave feedback. So far I've had friendly interactions with everyone—it's a kind community here.

To answer your direct question, just Google "cubase license transfer" and "omnisphere license transfer" and the first results have all the information you need.

I built up a great library of tools inexpensively buying from the forum here and I highly recommend it overall.

One final word of advice: extensively try the demo before buying anything. Spend at least 30 minutes, ideally hours—otherwise it's all too easy to end up with stuff you don't need or want.

I came to this site earlier this year with the sole purpose of selling my vast and obnoxious collection of plugins. Since that time, I have sold zero items and have purchased six plugins from the forum.

^ It's definitely easy to get lost and pick up some things offered in the market. Too bad it hasn't worked out in an "exchange" fashion, but that will come with time.
Take care :wink:

Do people selling on here generally not use PayPal gift for payment? I realize that's a bit of a sketchy question, but I ask because it seems that PP usually sides with the buyer, even if there's a ton of evidence showing they are scamming. If we're talking about someone just purchasing a plugin license used, what's to stop them from opening a claim if they wanted to screw the seller over once the license is transferred?

I suppose the gift option is useless as well if the buyer is using a credit card through PayPal, since they could still initiate a chargeback with the CC.

Has anyone here ran into this issue selling stuff on KVR?

Thanks this is useful.
One of the reasons i decided to sign up was to hopefully swap some licences.

i have a question about this though... "The account must not use a "disposable" email address."
I signed up using a gmail account, is this classed as "disposable"?

discogsaddict wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:24 am "The account must not use a "disposable" email address."
I signed up using a gmail account, is this classed as "disposable"?
Similarly I have a gmx account which is also free and wondered the same thing.

Of course not. A disposable email address is something you get on a site, and which works for 10 minutes or so.

E.g.: https://10minutemail.com/

Excellent, thanks for the reassurance chk071

Thanks for clearing that up :)

transmisser wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:40 am Do people selling on here generally not use PayPal gift for payment? I realize that's a bit of a sketchy question, but I ask because it seems that PP usually sides with the buyer, even if there's a ton of evidence showing they are scamming. If we're talking about someone just purchasing a plugin license used, what's to stop them from opening a claim if they wanted to screw the seller over once the license is transferred?

I suppose the gift option is useless as well if the buyer is using a credit card through PayPal, since they could still initiate a chargeback with the CC.

Has anyone here ran into this issue selling stuff on KVR?
I came back to this comment, as I kept thinking of how complex the full extent of chargebacks could be. PayPal is notoriously one-sided in giving back the money to the buyer, making it a hefty problem, just as you mentioned.

You've also mentioned credit cards, but because the topic moved on about temporary emails, I got reminded of timed temporary virtual cards that are available out there - which function something like a "middle man" for debit cards.

I guess having marketplaces that act as a middle man could remove such a problem, as the money would move to the marketplace and then from the marketplace to the seller because even though PayPal gives money back easily if a single account gets charged back too many times, they start paying attention and ignore false chargebacks. Otherwise, it really would be don't to trust and shunning of community members that attempt such tactics to scam.
Take care :wink:

consordini wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:47 am
I came back to this comment, as I kept thinking of how complex the full extent of chargebacks could be. PayPal is notoriously one-sided in giving back the money to the buyer, making it a hefty problem, just as you mentioned.

You've also mentioned credit cards, but because the topic moved on about temporary emails, I got reminded of timed temporary virtual cards that are available out there - which function something like a "middle man" for debit cards.

I guess having marketplaces that act as a middle man could remove such a problem, as the money would move to the marketplace and then from the marketplace to the seller because even though PayPal gives money back easily if a single account gets charged back too many times, they start paying attention and ignore false chargebacks. Otherwise, it really would be don't to trust and shunning of community members that attempt such tactics to scam.
Yeah, the whole thing has me in the weeds on the best way to handle it. I doubt I'd be paranoid if the potential buyer had a post history I could reference, since having access to that can give you enough of a picture on who you would be dealing with. Maybe I'll just refrain from trying to do business with members who have no post history.

Which reminds me... I need to post more on KVR. :lol:

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”