Trying to only have to use ONE brand of Guitar VSTi going-forward (Shreddage wish-list)

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
stpete111
KVRist
328 posts since 17 Jan, 2005

Post Wed May 27, 2020 10:00 am

I wanted to make this post without having to name other brands but I have to in order to get my points across.

I have been using Guitar VSTi's for almost 10 years now. At my worst ( :wink: ) I was going back and forth between 6 different ones. Now I am down to using three:

Amplesound (all of their acoustic and electric guitars)
Orange Tree Samples Evolution Guitars
Shreddage 3 (Shreddage 2 for the last 5 years)

I have finally gotten my Bass VSTi library down to just one that I use solely which feels great. I want to do the same for my Guitar VSTi - Shreddage by far and away is the most realistic-sounding to my ears, so that alone makes it the one I really want to go for - but there are features I use in the other 2 that Shreddage does not have (or at least I don't think it does).

I think it's important to note here that I am a guitar player - I realized several years ago that when I write something on guitar, I prefer to then program it into the DAW in a Guitar VSTi, and this just makes for better-sounding recordings. So keep in mind that I'm a guitar player, not a keyboard player.

If these features could get implemented into Shreddage somehow, I would be a customer for life (not that I'm not already) and I could stop using the others:

1. Custom Chords - both AS and OT allow you to enter chords on a virtual fretboard, and then trigger those chords with just one MIDI note. This is the biggest missing requirement for me.

2. A Strumming interface - both AS and OT have a strumming interface with strumming presets - this coupled with item number 1 allows you to program MIDI with just 2 notes - one for the chord, and one for the strum pattern.

3. Custom Tunings - OT lets you tune each string to your liking to create custom alternate tunings. While this doesn't mean that you suddenly have a guitar that was sampled in that tuning, what it does is allow for someone like me to program the MIDI much more easily as I know that the notes on the digital guitar correspond directly to the notes on the real guitar that I wrote the song on. This is a really-nice-to-have, but I could live without it if I could get 1 and 2 in Shreddage.

I realize Shreddage is geared toward lead guitar and all 3 of the above features pertain mostly to rhythm guitar, but the thing is that Shreddage's engine sounds the best and most realistic for rhythm guitar.

Thanks for listening, Impact Soundworks.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
20012 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Thu May 28, 2020 4:35 am

You can already achieve #3 from your list, with a little bit of elbow grease.

1. Open instrument edit mode
2. Set the left side browser to Expert->Groups
3. Press the magnifier button to the right of ID column
4. Type in "Str 1", this now filters all groups pertaining to string 1
5. Click on the first group in the filtered list, hold Shift, then click on the last group in the filtered list
6. Right-click, Set edit flag for selected groups
7. Adjust group Tune knob in semitones to tune it up or down
8. Repeat steps 4-7 for other strings
9. I recommend saving this as a new NKI

EDIT: Actually on second thought, you might want NOT to select all the groups pertaining to one string. For example you should not detune the rakes or chokes. Before step 6, just Ctrl+click them after you've Shift+click-selected all groups, to take them out of the selection. Then do step 6.

Regarding 1 and 2, I know that 2 was definitely already discussed internally, and regarding 1, might be slightly problematic considering how many keyswitches there are already, but it indeed is tightly related to the strumming sequencer, so there's gonna have to be some R&D involved there.

stpete111
KVRist
328 posts since 17 Jan, 2005

Post Thu May 28, 2020 5:34 am

Hi EvilDragon, thanks so much for your response, I have always been a fan of you on here and GearSlutz b/c your posts are always so helpful.

I'm all for elbow grease so I will check into your step-by-step and see what I can come up with.

Regarding your thoughts on 1 and 2, yep I definitely get the issue with so many keyswitches already taking up the only 127 options of notes - AmpleSound has a ton of keyswitches too, so they handle it by basically creating a 2nd overall strumming mode which reassigns the notes that are typically the played notes to strum notes. The Play Mode and Strum Mode can be toggled via one keyswitch. But I'm sure IS already knows this and I'm sure all these guys keep an eye on their competitor products to see what they have out there.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
20012 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Thu May 28, 2020 6:37 am

stpete111 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:34 am
But I'm sure IS already knows this and I'm sure all these guys keep an eye on their competitor products to see what they have out there.
You got it! ;)

Return to “Impact Soundworks”