Early amp simulators comparison video

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For fun, I compared some of the very first attempts to simulate guitar amps in software.
Five guitar plugins which are around 20 years old now.
Do you think that any of them still rock? :)

https://youtu.be/GIxxlO8xfFA

Monsum wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:00 am Do you think that any of them still rock? :)
Hell yeah — H&K Warp had something going on in their speaker cab modeling that is still unsurpassed — like genuine cab thunk. Very good feel, fun to play.

I miss the Roland JC120 amp sim in WarpVST...
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Those early Hughes & Kettner zenTera modeling amps still go for big bucks — still way ahead of their time.

Nothing that newer software coupled with it can't fix

tanh() FTW :D

I just have a sweet spot for the mda Combo for some reason.
Take care :wink:

Warp still remains a little monster...

Agreed, Warp Vst is excellent even today.
For all the other plugins in the comparison I really struggled to get something I'd be pleased with.
But with the Warp it was the other way round - I couldn't decide on the settings because I liked it in many different configurations.
It might not be the most realistic amp sim as per today but definitely makes you want to play your guitar through it.

All those other sims would still stack up fairly well if run through either a better cab model or speaker IR.

I'd say speaker cab modeling has actually regressed since WarpVST, while speaker IR use has become far more widespread (it was actually available then, just not very widely used until about 15 years ago or so).

Need a hybrid — good IRs can really capture the sound of a cab, but they don't have the dynamics that good cab modeling (like in WarpVST) can provide.

Monsum wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:00 am For fun, I compared some of the very first attempts to simulate guitar amps in software.
Five guitar plugins which are around 20 years old now.
Do you think that any of them still rock? :)

https://youtu.be/GIxxlO8xfFA
Hey, what version of cubase is this? I had something similar looking in the 90s for a short time, but it only had very generic “rack”-like GUIs for plugins, horrible usability. My first tentative steps into digital recording after a Portastudio, I didn’t know shit about anything and I didn’t continue until SX3 (?).

They all still sound better than Guitar Rig.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

fese wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:49 pm Hey, what version of cubase is this? I had something similar looking in the 90s for a short time, but it only had very generic “rack”-like GUIs for plugins, horrible usability. My first tentative steps into digital recording after a Portastudio, I didn’t know shit about anything and I didn’t continue until SX3 (?).
It's a little brother of Cubase - Cubasis VST 5 (long before they started calling the mobile app this name).
This version is not that old, I believe it's from 2003.
All plugins that didn't have their own GUI received a generic one.
I liked Cubasis because it wasn't overloaded with unnecessary features and it was much cheaper.

Return to “Effects”