Midi export of clips/tracks, and exports including automation data

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The midi editor in Bitwig does not seem to allow freeform/custom scaling of midi notes (by scaling I mean how one can select midi notes then grab the anchor and stretch it all bigger or smaller). Scaling midi velocities doesn't seem to be possible either (grateful of confirmation of this, as I can only raise or lower them all together by the same amount at the moment, but not scale them).

To do this kind of stuff I'll have to export all the midi to Ableton, however I can find no way of exporting the midi data from Bitwig studio in such a way that the automation data (sustain pedal, other midi CC, etc.) is also included in the export. Also cant find an option to export individual midi clips, just the whole project midi (again, no automation data).

I read that Bitwig were planning on improving midi export funcionality. Anyone know if there has been any progress there?

If it's not possible I'll try with Jack Windows Audio Kit and record it into another application or some other routing solution.

as far as i know you a able to increase or decrease the velocity of a single Midi note, or add some randomness to it as well. I have used it before and i am on v. 3.0.3.

Furthermore it is possible to increase or decrease the length of a single midi note or even multiple notes at once.

PS: You a right, you can not export a single Midi file or specific once from a session, you´re only able to export all of them :/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

califauna wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:20 pmScaling midi velocities doesn't seem to be possible either (grateful of confirmation of this, as I can only raise or lower them all together by the same amount at the moment, but not scale them).
Use the velocity histogram... your options are 'Mean' 'Spread' and 'Chaos'

Mean raises or lowers
Spread scales
Chaos adds randomization

Beerhunter wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:47 pm PS: You a right, you can not export a single Midi file or specific once from a session, you´re only able to export all of them :/
Yeah that's not good. I'm fairly new to Bitwig and was surprised to see this. A feature request maybe?

If I remember correctly, the canonical workaround is to have another empty project open. Drag in single clip or whatever from main project then export.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

Karbon L. Forms wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:56 am If I remember correctly, the canonical workaround is to have another empty project open. Drag in single clip or whatever from main project then export.
Yeah I used that method. Problem is that Bitwig doesn't export the Midi CC/automation data with the note data.

I'm thinking there might be a VST which is capable of recording and then exporting midi coming down the track it's on.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:27 pm
califauna wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:20 pmScaling midi velocities doesn't seem to be possible either (grateful of confirmation of this, as I can only raise or lower them all together by the same amount at the moment, but not scale them).
Use the velocity histogram... your options are 'Mean' 'Spread' and 'Chaos'

Mean raises or lowers
Spread scales
Chaos adds randomization
Thanks yes I just discovered that soon after I posted the question. Awesome set of controls in there.

Unfortunately, the implementation of this issue is unsatisfactory. It is very expected in the future that the ability to quickly save individual clips as MIDI, as well as the ability to quickly transfer a clip as a MIDI to work in other applications (EZ Bass, EZ Keys, etc.)

That Bitwig isn´t capable of exporting Midi tracks in a more sophisticated manner (incl. CC, PC, MPE etc.etc.) was the last straw for me NOT to purchase a Studio version of it...
maybe in the future – we´ll see

oooof I just figured out the hard way that midi export doesn't include automation/cc data. 50 tracks worth of data to recreate from scratch! One of the 'little' things I'm surprised Bitwig has yet to implement.
http://www.nathanieljohnson.bandcamp.com

2020 Macbook Air M1/16gb/1tb

Return to “Bitwig”