First time trying out Hypersonic 2 (test song, pop/reggae/Batak style)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Music Bird
KVRist
389 posts since 23 Apr, 2017 from Eastern US

Post Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:35 am

https://soundcloud.com/pigeon-city/lagu ... versi-2020

I was testing Hypersonic 2 since I got it recently and I wanted to try to make a song with it.
(Ps, I can’t say how I got it even though it isn’t available anymore ;)).
Synth1, PG8X, Dexed, Sound Canvas VA, FB-3x00 series, blooo, scrooo, qyooo, SQ8L, GTG FM4, DSK Asian and Indian DreamZ, and much more VSTs. Casio, Yamaha, Korg, Alesis HW.

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
16219 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: First time trying out Hypersonic 2 (test song, pop/reggae/Batak style)

Post Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:35 am

It's hard to know how to judge these tunes of yours, without knowing your intention/motivation behind them.

Music Bird
KVRist

Post Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:48 pm

Well my intentions and motivations are more to make karaoke style instrumentals or eventually, covers with my keyboard’s auto accompaniment.
Synth1, PG8X, Dexed, Sound Canvas VA, FB-3x00 series, blooo, scrooo, qyooo, SQ8L, GTG FM4, DSK Asian and Indian DreamZ, and much more VSTs. Casio, Yamaha, Korg, Alesis HW.

wagtunes
KVRAF
19389 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:33 pm

I'm tellin you man. You should try to write for cartoons or commercials. Or possibly try getting into those royalty free sites. I'm sure one of them has to have a category for this kind of stuff.

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

Post Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:54 pm

Music Bird wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:48 pm
Well my intentions and motivations are more to make karaoke style instrumentals or eventually, covers with my keyboard’s auto accompaniment.
Karaoke, I'd say, not so much. In that case, the closer the track can get, to help maintain the illusion of the singer actually singing the real version, the better.

And while it absolutely sounds like an auto-accompaniment track, I'm not sure why you'd limit your presentation/arrangement in that way.

wagtunes
KVRAF
19389 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:19 pm

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:54 pm
Music Bird wrote:
Karaoke, I'd say, not so much. In that case, the closer the track can get, to help maintain the illusion of the singer actually singing the real version, the better.

And while it absolutely sounds like an auto-accompaniment track, I'm not sure why you'd limit your presentation/arrangement in that way.
He's actually played me videos of professional groups that, believe it or not, sound like that. It's actually a genre of music that he is really into.

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

Post Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:50 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:19 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:54 pm
Music Bird wrote:

He's actually played me videos of professional groups that, believe it or not, sound like that. It's actually a genre of music that he is really into.
Which is why I asked about his intentions.

I've avoided commenting on many other occasions, because I didn't want to say that the music sounded like a bad auto-accompaniment tune. In reality, given the context, they are very close to perfect renditions.

I wonder how many others have avoided commenting. Perhaps enought that it'd be worthwhile putting a little statement-of-intent in the op :shrug:

lessera
KVRist
163 posts since 16 Oct, 2016

Post Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:04 pm

Hmmm. I am commenting only because HS2 was the first VSTi that I fell in love with upon it's first use. The BigTone patches included in the factory soundbank were/are so incredible, that even to this day, I'll fire up an old 32bit host from time-to-time just to patch-surf, and lose myself in the endlessly evolving sounds he crafted for it.

This tune sounds like it was made using the Windows MIDI GS ROM file included in the OS. However you came about acquiring HS2, it seems absolutely unnecessary for the types of sounds you have chosen in this track.

Music Bird
KVRist

Post Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:47 pm

Yeah I prefer having MIDI or auto accompaniment sounding beats and instruments, I’m one of the few people who sacrifices Instrumental realism in my music for my own good since I don’t want any live horns or strings since I prefer faked ones to imitate live arrangements, I’d much rather have a live accordion, Indian or Indonesian folk instrument, or other folk instrument from various places mixed with my synths, bass, and drum machine. I don’t want to have no pop hits, no way, I can’t see my music being popular in the US or Europe and I wouldn’t want it to be anyways.

Like Wags said, there’s a whole market for this stuff, I’m focusing more on the Asian and Latin market musicwise with a bit of an 80’s synth twist when I get to recording my hardware properly.

Examples of this stuff here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6kzCnsxrFhw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zh9yu6yrfcU
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b63qc_uqD9o

While I’d admit they have cheesy sounding beats their instruments tend to sound higher quality than the sounds I am using. Maybe it’s finally time to get that arranger keyboard especially a 90’s or 2000’s one since I’ve been saving up for one since forever.

Return to “Music Cafe”