Headphones that aren't crap ?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
studiosounds1
KVRer
6 posts since 21 Mar, 2016

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:58 am

transmisser wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:47 pm
I haven't purchased a new set of headphones since I got my Beyer Dynamic DT770s. I used to get sore spots on my head and ears with other cans, but not with the 770s. Feels like a cloud on my head.

Slightly OT, but I recently started using Toneboosters Morphit correction + Waves Abbey Road Studio 3 with the 770s and that just took them to another level. Super useful when you can't blast your speakers at night time.
I agree with this! I'm on my 3rd pair now with no issues. Also Beyer Dynamic sells spare parts for them so if anything ever goes wrong, they're easy to fix imo.

simmo75
KVRAF
2119 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Re: Headphones that aren't crap ?

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:24 am

studiosounds1 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:58 am
transmisser wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:47 pm
I haven't purchased a new set of headphones since I got my Beyer Dynamic DT770s. I used to get sore spots on my head and ears with other cans, but not with the 770s. Feels like a cloud on my head.

Slightly OT, but I recently started using Toneboosters Morphit correction + Waves Abbey Road Studio 3 with the 770s and that just took them to another level. Super useful when you can't blast your speakers at night time.
I agree with this! I'm on my 3rd pair now with no issues. Also Beyer Dynamic sells spare parts for them so if anything ever goes wrong, they're easy to fix imo.
If they sell spare parts in case anything goes wrong, why have you bought 3 pairs? :hihi:

User avatar
nix808
KVRAF
4279 posts since 22 Jul, 2006 from Tasmania, Australia

Re: Headphones that aren't crap ?

Post Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:51 am

simmo can soon replace the cats
-or what's wrong with u simmo?

hotmitts
KVRist
430 posts since 27 Nov, 2003 from UK, Polegate

Re: Headphones that aren't crap ?

Post Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:45 am

nix808 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:51 am
simmo can soon replace the cats
-or what's wrong with u simmo?
Exactly !
No I have no idea what you mean :?:

User avatar
nix808
KVRAF
4279 posts since 22 Jul, 2006 from Tasmania, Australia

Re: Headphones that aren't crap ?

Post Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:59 am

edit-alright I better edit this some
I had drunk way too much cider at this point
sorry for being nonsensical in your informative thread

I think(if I am capable of it) I was trying to be chaotically funny

SonicDimension
KVRist
95 posts since 2 Mar, 2009

Re: Headphones that aren't crap ?

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:57 pm

Yorrrrrr wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:01 am
Audio Technica ATH-M50X.
These headphones are overrated. I have had the previous version (ATH-M50) for eight years or so, and I have several issues with them:

1. The leatherette on the headband cracks and flakes off. As far as I know, this is a very common problem.
2. The headphones sit on my ear in some weird way that presses on my ear and hurts when I wear them for awhile.
3. If the room is warm, these phones feel like ear muffs. My ears get sweaty.
4. If you want to use these for mixing purposes, you should know that they emphasize bass frequencies very noticeably. For this reason, I wouldn't recommend mixing with them.

I also own a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones and I never had any of the above issues with them. I have owned them for more than ten years, and they are still going strong. They also cost significantly less than the M50's. If you want some relatively affordable phones for tracking, check them out.

hotmitts
KVRist
430 posts since 27 Nov, 2003 from UK, Polegate

Re: Headphones that aren't crap ?

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:32 pm

nix808 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:59 am
edit-alright I better edit this some
I had drunk way too much cider at this point
sorry for being nonsensical in your informative thread

I think(if I am capable of it) I was trying to be chaotically funny
Haha Hey that's cool, I thought it was some new hip slang

User avatar
consordini
KVRist
356 posts since 6 May, 2020

Re: Headphones that aren't crap ?

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:38 pm

SonicDimension wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:57 pm
Yorrrrrr wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:01 am
Audio Technica ATH-M50X.
These headphones are overrated. I have had the previous version (ATH-M50) for eight years or so, and I have several issues with them:
1. The leatherette on the headband cracks and flakes off. As far as I know, this is a very common problem.
2. The headphones sit on my ear in some weird way that presses on my ear and hurts when I wear them for awhile.
3. If the room is warm, these phones feel like ear muffs. My ears get sweaty.
4. If you want to use these for mixing purposes, you should know that they emphasize bass frequencies very noticeably. For this reason, I wouldn't recommend mixing with them.
I can't discredit your personal experience, as even though I haven't run into the same comfort issues, everyone will experience hardware differently.

And when it comes to mixing - I agree - but that's why I also sometimes recommend these. If the question comes from a consumer first, producer after, these are great for media consumption and if you already have a studio monitor setup, they are great to give you a better look at what a regular consumer will experience.

So even though I would agree that they are overrated from a producer, engineer standpoint, as they are quite flawed in their response (the mentioned low end), they are a great choice for a regular consumer - accurate, yet a nice bass response.
Take care :wink:

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”