What's the best sample file converter (that works on Mac)?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Many software producers use their own proprietary coding for audio sample files, and it would be nice to be able to use those files in other software by converting them to .wav, if nothing else.
I see some programs that do this for Windows, but I'm not seeing any wide-ranging ones for Mac. Can anyone make some recommendations? Thanks!

Generally speaking, I would recommend waiting for Zynaptiq to offer these for purchase:

https://www.zynaptiq.com/macaudioapps/

Disclaimer: always mind the content creator's copyright notice. Some may only allow use in a specific application.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Brother Greg wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:25 pm Many software producers use their own proprietary coding for audio sample files, and it would be nice to be able to use those files in other software by converting them to .wav, if nothing else.
I see some programs that do this for Windows, but I'm not seeing any wide-ranging ones for Mac. Can anyone make some recommendations? Thanks!
For standalone Windows programs you could try to run them in wine, best with WineBottler. That genius program can wrap a lot of Win programs into a Mac app. Unfortunately that doesn’t work for plugins... (yet)

On the other hand, most proprietary formats are used for copy protection and if the waves are encrypted it wouldn’t help.
And you can also try SoundHack, which can open any file raw. If its not encrypted and you know bit depth, number of channels and the sample rate, you get a soundfile with a little click at the beginning which is the header as sound...Just cut the click off and you’re good. Also helps to repair corrupted sound files...

They are proprietary for a reason. :wink:

Thank you for the suggestions!

Of course, I respect software producers’ desire not to have their proprietary sample libraries repackaged and redistributed for sale. Whenever I’ve taken the time to read those software legal notices —yawn—the resale possibility usually seems to be their main concern. For myself, I’m just talking about being able to use samples freely among the software plugins I already own. If doing this, too, is illegal, I haven’t been aware of it. But I’ll look over what the legal agreements say and respect them.

It definitely varies between software, but a lot of audio samples and loops are at their core just AIFF/WAV/other fairly standard file with metadata tacked onto them somehow, and a lot of times a simple sound file converter like Adapter can get them into the format you need. I'm not familiar with all the types, but for example with Kontakt libraries, sometimes the audio files are encrypted, which means it's unlikely you're going to be able to get them out of Kontakt. However, there are other libraries that provide the unencrypted source sounds (they usually advertise as much as a selling point) and those can usually be manipulated or used like any other regular sound file. Legally, obviously it will come down to the particular terms of that specific sample library.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”