No random LFO in MUX?

Official support for: mutools.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

Strangely, the LFO module in MUX doesn't have a random waveform option, just the typical sine, saw, triangle, etc. Is there a way I could get something like a random LFO-type modulator in MUX?

Try the Wobble Generator.
See http://www.mutools.com/info/M8/docs/mux ... dules.html

By the way: Note that any LFO waveform is fully editable!
Doubleclick the LFO waveform display and there you can create any type of waveform and also save it as a preset etc.

mutools wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:07 pm Try the Wobble Generator.
I tried the Wobble Generator but it's not what I'm looking for. I need a classic type random LFO (think Sample&Hold), one with a random amplitude output at a frequency defined by the user. The wobble Generator, as far as I can tell, outputs a random amplitude at a frequency that is randomly changing, so it's more like a noise-type LFO.
mutools wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:07 pm By the way: Note that any LFO waveform is fully editable!
Doubleclick the LFO waveform display and there you can create any type of waveform and also save it as a preset etc.
Yes, the fact that the LFO waveform is fully editable is awesome, but again, it doesn't help me with what I need here. I can create a pseudo-random waveform, but it will be repeated on every cycle of the LFO, so it won't be actually random at all.

KTlin wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:44 pmit will be repeated on every cycle of the LFO, so it won't be actually random at all.
You can use wobble generators to control parameters, so that it is...

Something like this?
Screenshot_1.png
https://youtu.be/t9QjuHf9_WQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Thx for the creative solution and video dakkra!

Another similar but slightly shorter way is to connect a Sequence Player to a Note To Modulation converter and use the converter's random output as the random S&H modulation. Attached a MUX preset that demonstrates that. Nb: The Adsr+Amp in that preset is just a little extra.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks dakkra and mutools for your suggestions.
I'm sorry to say, but if you have to implement such convoluted and cumbersome tricks just to get a bloody simple random LFO is straight laughable. I can't believe that a plugin at version 8 doesn't have such a simple and basic feature. Every plugin I've ever used has a random option for their LFOs.

MUX is a modular environment not a pre-built instrument or effect, though. You can do far, far more with it that any other plugin I've ever used.

KTlin i understand and accept your criticism.
At the same time, as pljones wrote, the modular aspect does have advantages.
In fact i see it as a compliment for MUX that something that doesn't really exists in MUX still is realizable.

Thinking about it:
If the modular building blocks are too big / too prefab, they loose flexibility.
If the modular building blocks are too small / too abstract you get the feeling that it takes a lot of effort to do a simple task.
It's an ongoing challenge to make good balances and provide both instantness and flexibility.

MuLab will continue to grow and more modules will be added, step by step.

PS: If you wonder what was added in MuLab version 1, 2, 3, ... 8, see http://www.mutools.com/mulab-mux-change-log.html

pljones wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:28 am MUX is a modular environment not a pre-built instrument or effect, though. You can do far, far more with it that any other plugin I've ever used.
You're just stating the obvious, again, like with the "You can use wobble generators to control parameters" above. Of course MUX is a modular environment and not a pre-built instrument or effect, we all know that, but that doesn't mean I have to use a couple of modules, and waste time and CPU power, just to get a super basic feature like a random LFO. Every other modular (or semi-modular) plugin I've ever used has this basic feature implemented.

So you've bothered to measure the CPU time? Wow...

pljones wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:41 am So you've bothered to measure the CPU time? Wow...
:roll: oh boy...

Return to “MUTOOLS”